SASS Wire Forum

new tv? peas hep me

Chili Ron

Howdy,

All sorts of tv features and sizes and on and on....wow.

Any ideas on new features that are really useful?

I don't need the biggest one in the store. the sizes are crazy.

wearing odd glasses is pretty much out too.

Thanks aheadotime.

Best

CR

I have a 47 inch tv in a room where the farthest chair from the set is about 16 feet.  The wife indicated she'd like a larger on next time.  That said, I love our Fire Sticks for streaming TV.  I cut the satellite and cable off some time back.

If you are buying, I would suggest a Smart TV.  Makes it easier to link directly with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Movies, etc.  Dont buy a brand you never heard of, dont buy the biggest one a brand makes, and if there is more than one that you are looking at, dont buy the cheapest one.

IMHO, YMMV

Ask your Grand kids       But request they speak slowly      GW

I want big huge.  :D

I have a 60” now. I’d like a biggern.

If you've got good internet speed and wifi in the house, get a smart tv.   Lots of internet tv stuff to watch.  Amazon Prime, Netflix, Youtube TV etc.  You will probably end up cutting off the cable when you get use to it.

Chili - Try these guys Crutchfield  They have the best customer service you can get, you can call them with a problem and they'll stay on the phone with you until you're happy.  They'll also make recommendations based on your needs not what they're trying to sell.  I think they're running free shipping this weekend.

If you've got wifi in the room I'd go with a smart tv not only will it let you connect to different TV services but when your TV needs a software update it can do it automatically.

Over time, we found our smart TV to be a waste. We bought a Sony “Google” tv several years back.  It was great for a couple of years and then discovered it couldn’t handle the apps that were constantly being updated. Google, Netflix, YouTube etc will no longer run on it. We’re now  dependent on an external streaming device such as Apple TV or Roku. It’s lot cheaper to replace one of those when they become obsolete than it is a TV. 

6 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

All sorts of tv features and sizes and on and on....wow.

Any ideas on new features that are really useful?

I don't need the biggest one in the store. the sizes are crazy.

wearing odd glasses is pretty much out too.

Thanks aheadotime.

Best

CR

When you get one, get your grandkids to show you how to use it

I just checked Best Buy and found 55" smart TVs with 4K resolution for about $350, give or take. They are generally cheaper as you go down in size. A new tv will have all the features you need. I use a Roku stick and Hulu Live for watching tv instead of cable. Go as large as you want for the room, it makes it better for sports or movies. Stick with name brands.

I stick with Samsung TVs.

Our current 46" still has a great picture.
Over-the-air (OTA) provides FAR higher bandwidth than cable, so that is my yardstick for image quality.
I run an 8-bay bowtie for UHF and a Stellar Labs for VHF 9 and 10 channels, with a combiner.

We have Netflix and Amazon Prime accounts, no cable or dish.
I have the TV connected to a Western Digital box that interfaces with my movie server, and the Amazon Firestick.
The firestick is actually faster over wireless, because its hardware is limited to 100mbps on a wired LAN.

My only problem with the (old) Samsung is Netflix won't send it subtitles.
"Too old" says Netflix, even though I get them just fine with OTA.
I figure any modern TV should be able to do subtitles with Netflix.

Howdy,

Thanks for the comments

I have cable, Im not sure how I could just drop it.

A 47 Samsung 4k would be fine with me.

How does input from vhs look on that?

I have a bunch of westerns on vhs

Thanks

Best

CR

7 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Thanks for the comments

Thanks

Best

CR

Seriously, Chili Ron, you need to go to a Best Buy, Fry’s or someplace that has some one on one sales staff. You need to tell them what you want to do with the TV and if they start spewing technical gibberish ask for a manger to help you.

Look at your VCR connectors, better yet, take the cables with you and show the person at the store. 

Don’t buy a TV on line. Go to a store, and not a department store. You may pay a little more but that’s better than the headache you’ll have scrimping.

I bought a new Vizio smart TV earlier this year, and have noticed if I leave the room for an extended period, it turns off...

... do these things have a motion sensor?

Recently (last couple of months) replaced my 50 inch Panasonic with a brandy new LG 70 inch.  My sweetie said she wanted to be able to read the Tennis Channel scores without her glasses.  Who was I to quibble??  Real happy with it.

3 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I bought a new Vizio smart TV earlier this year, and have noticed if I leave the room for an extended period, it turns off...

... do these things have a motion sensor?

Nope. “They” are watching you.

6 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Thanks for the comments

Thanks

Best

CR

VHS looks just like it did on your ancient TV. The new TVs will display high quality signals, which VHS isn't. Depending on the equipment, new TVs and old VHS players might not have compatible input/output connections

On 10/4/2019 at 4:54 PM, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

If you are buying, I would suggest a Smart TV. 

We have a smart TV and I'm cursing at it all the time. About the time I figure out a work around,  the software updates to give me a new challenge. 

Here is the latest aggravation.  I made a video so I could get over to Best Buy to talk with one of their Geeks about this.

We use YouTube and HDMI 1 for DVD player.  Don't care about any of that other crap.  I deleted it all but it just keeps coming back. Then it's often adding new crap at the head of the list I keep having to knock down.  Then about a year ago it started just defaulting the Samsung TV.  A whole wasteland of junk TV.  Turn the TV on and there it was playing junk. Pause too long and there it's back again on Samsung TV.  You can't "unsubscribe" or delete it.  I found a menu option that at least didn't default to it on startup. But it still goes to it when paused too long.  Also,  when I turn off DVD player it goes to Samsung TV.  I have to go through a menu maize to get it back on YouTube.  

14 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Nope. “They” are watching you.

This is the same way those automatic toilets in public restrooms know when to flush.
They must have some minimum wage guy watching yer butt through that little black window....

Most VHS machine output in a few basic flavors.

• Coax: (dreadful) Standard "F" connector
• Composite: (awful) Yellow RCA for video, White/Red RCA for sound
• Component: (less awful) Red-Green-Blue RCA (YPbPr) for video, White/Red RCA for sound

I doubt you will have HDMI from a VHS machine.
Component is your best quality choice.
My old Samsung has Component inputs, which I use for an ancient Sony DVD player.

Our Blu-Ray player, Firestick and WD TV Live are all HDMI devices.
• HDMI: (excellent) 5 different connector types

FWIW, the old rule of thumb was that the viewing distance for your TV should be 4x the diagonal of the screen, back when they were 3x4 aspect ratio.

The new TV's are wide screen and generally speaking you want to be seated about 3x the diagonal for those models.  Also, a lot of them are

adjusted for extreme contrast and brightness (movie theatre mode) rather than for viewing comfort in the home at night.  You might want to

adjust settings after you've installed it in the viewing room, and set your lights to your viewing comfort.  There are a few web sites out there

that offer advice on how to do this depending on which model you select.

4K is generally over the top unless you're doing extremely large screens in an entertainment room, ie for watching Superbowl parties.

Getting one of the new screens that does intense black is a good idea though!

I've a Blu-Ray player that I bought new and have never bothered to connect, just don't watch much if those anymore.

Between Netflix and Amazon there isn't any reason for us to watch CD's or have broadcast TV over cable.  We use internet only,

and I haven't seen a commercial in over 6 years now.

We're getting ready to reconfigure our TV room, and bringing the stereo system back in to connect to the TV, but also to buy a 

turntable - we've got old vinyl that we miss playing, and there are new pressings out we also want.  TV gets less interesting daily!

Shadow Catcher

On October 4, 2019 at 5:54 PM, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

If you are buying, I would suggest a Smart TV.  Makes it easier to link directly with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Movies, etc.  Dont buy a brand you never heard of, dont buy the biggest one a brand makes, and if there is more than one that you are looking at, dont buy the cheapest one.

IMHO, YMMV

I agree.  Cable and Satellite TV is dying and is being replaced with Internet viewing of tv shows.

Archived