SASS Wire Forum

Colt Python

Rye Miles #13621

The most sought after modern DA Revolver will soon be mine! NIB good price, I've always wanted one so here we go..............

Anyone have one??? Tell me about it!!

My pa, Blue Boy sass 46773 had one that someone had over slicked to the point the trigger was too light. It shot well,was a joy to handle but just too touchy on the trigger. He turned it into a 3gen Colts .357, 7 1/2 Nickel and never looked back. The Colt needed trigger work, go figure.

Imis

28 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

My pa, Blue Boy sass 46773 had one that someone had over slicked to the point the trigger was too light. It shot well,was a joy to handle but just too touchy on the trigger. He turned it into a 3gen Colts .357, 7 1/2 Nickel and never looked back. The Colt needed trigger work, go figure.

Imis

The original owner should have left it alone. All reports I read about the Python is it already has a great trigger and smooth action. That's why it was so popular!

I had one briefly years ago. I bought it and a Commander CHEAP from a bonehead that slapped his wife around one too many times and she cleaned out the bank accounts and headed for the high grass. It was very accurate. I was shooting IPSC at the time and wanted it for Revolver class. Problem is, that action has a V spring or some such, and the DA "stacks". Drove me bats. I ended up trading it for a Smith 686 and never really regretted it as far as shooting. Too bad, they are REALLY cool guns.

JHC

3 hours ago, Rooster Cognizant said:

I have a 6" blued, built in the early 1970's. 

Very smooth, feels very good in the hand. Both DA and SA are sweet.

If your is nib, I can only imagine the asking price. 

I’m getting a pretty decent deal! I wouldn’t be getting it if it was an outrageous price like people are asking! 

3 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I had one briefly years ago. I bought it and a Commander CHEAP from a bonehead that slapped his wife around one too many times and she cleaned out the bank accounts and headed for the high grass. It was very accurate. I was shooting IPSC at the time and wanted it for Revolver class. Problem is, that action has a V spring or some such, and the DA "stacks". Drove me bats. I ended up trading it for a Smith 686 and never really regretted it as far as shooting. Too bad, they are REALLY cool guns.

JHC

From what I understand they’re set up as more of a target gun. Probably not great for IPSC!

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The most sought after modern DA Revolver will soon be mine! NIB good price, I've always wanted one so here we go..............

Anyone have one??? Tell me about it!!

Yes...4 inch blue one...Bought in 1976....Still have the box and invoice...$276.00 then....Today....A little more...My youngest daughter laid claim to it...Just told it can not leave the USA...She lives in Ibiza.....Oh it does shoot very nice....

Texas Lizard

1387012346_Python6inchright.thumb.jpg.12165f8926851f189585536942331082.jpg

Bought it in '82, '83 maybe. Week and a half's pay.

Price is relative. When I retired, in '07, I was averaging a grand a week. And that's about what these cost then. So it woulda been cheaper to buy one in '07 than it was in '83. It would have been less of my paycheck.

I think, maaaaaybe, in the just shy of forty years I've owned it, I've probably shot it DA less than a box.

Big ol' wide hammer spur, exactly where it needs to be, and that sweeeeet SA trigger. Why shoot it any other way?

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I’m getting a pretty decent deal! I wouldn’t be getting it if it was an outrageous price like people are asking! 

I guess since so many are no longer made, revolver prices are thru the roof. I saw a Smith 19 not long ago for like $800. Kicked myself a few more times for not buying that one years ago that looked brand new 4" blue with fancy stocks for $275.

JHC :angry:

As the armorer for a relatively small department I found them to be garbage. We were permitted to carry either Pythons or L frames. One of the Pythons we got in came with a test target yet I had to send it back because you couldn’t get a round in one of the chambers. They shaved lead so badly that we had to segregate the Python shooters on the range because no one would shoot next to them. As someone else said the triggers stacked horribly  

I've owned (and shot) Pythons since the '70s, with as many as three in the stable at any one time.  Like most things (and most of us), they have their good points and their bad.  Take the bad first:

The factory walnut stocks are a horror with heavy loads (and not much better with lighter stuff, IMO).  Built on the old "O" frame, the action is, as Hamilton Bowen described it,  "a Gordian knot of subtle complexity for the uninitiated" .  That includes me and 99+% of other gun monkeys.  Now, the good:

I've never seen a Python that didn't shoot like a champ.  Maybe the last ones off the line were different; my old ones were wickedly accurate.  My "youngster" (the 8" that I recently sold) would wear out a 10" swinger at 100 yards so long as I did my part.

My remaining Python was tuned by the late Fred Sadowski of 300 Gunsmith Service in Denver (who, with the late Reeves Jungkind of Texas were acknowledged Masters with the Python action).  Stacking is almost NON-EXISTENT and the entire DA stroke is like butter.  This wheelgun now wears a 5" slab-side bull barrel instead of its original 4" tube.  Cremation may prevent it being buried with me...

Enjoy your "Snake" for the fine wheelgun it likely is.

"Ad"

Archived