SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 94 hammer binding

Rich427

Hi everyone,

Between me and my dad we have a lot ofnWinchester 94’s. My dad just picked up a buffalo bill commemorative and it has a small problem. The hammer is very hard to cock and feels like it is binding on the way down. When I remove the stock the problem is gone. Must be something to do with the lower tang? I tried playing with the mainspring screw and it didn’t help. Any ideas? Thanks

Your problem could be caused by a few things, none of which, as you probably realize, are serious.  

Are you able to determine the year of manufacture for your rifle? 

Do an online search for a list of serial numbers for all model 94s made. Compare your serial number to the list and find the year of manufacture.

Since we don’t know how much YOU know, please bear with me.  

First, you may wish to consult a gunsmith.  Hopefully, there’s a good cowboy gunsmith near you.  

Make sure, before you do any level of dismantling, such as removing screws, that you have a set of gunsmith screwdrivers.  Otherwise, you are almost guaranteed to damage the screw heads.  You’ll be lucky if you don’t.   Damaged screws lowers the value of your rifle, and replacement screws very often are not easy to obtain.   Best source  for good quality gunsmith screwdrivers I can advise you with quickly is BROWNELLS (if you don’t already have their catalog).  Look’em up online and call for their catalog.....(price?  $5-10 and worth it).  It’s an unmatched source reference and general tech reference.   Order a set of screwdrivers, if you do not already have some. 

Cat  Brules

Archived