SASS Wire Forum

Forgiveness - what it looks like

A man making the absolute best of the worst kind of situation!!

Having followed this story, I find the mom to be more interested in publicity and possible profit than in justice!

A beautiful act by both the brother and the judge.  Bless both of them.

Of course,  someone has already filed a lawsuit against the judge for possible ethics violations.   Doing the right thing is never unethical. 

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

A beautiful act by both the brother and the judge....  Doing the right thing is never unethical. 

I agree with all but the judge hugging the defendant. I practiced in the courtroom for 44 years. No judge should do this, whatever the circumstances.

18 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I agree with all but the judge hugging the defendant. I practiced in the courtroom for 44 years. No judge should do this, whatever the circumstances.

Before or during the trial, I can agree with you. Or if the defendant was obviously unrepentant.  But after the trial, after sentence is imposed, I can't see the harm.  

I will say that she should have taken off the robe of office before doing it, though.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Before or during the trial, I can agree with you. Or if the defendant was obviously unrepentant.  But after the trial, after sentence is imposed, I can't see the harm.  

I will say that she should have taken off the robe of office before doing it, though.

Before or during the trial, she could have been removed from the bench, at least in this State. After the trial, in the courtroom- she should at least be formally rebuked, if they have the equivalent to our state's Judicial Conduct Commission down there.

I think the harm in a judge embracing a defendant just convicted of murder and sentenced by a jury to 10 years in prison is obvious. The same would be true no matter who the party or what the outcome of the trial was. It doesn't matter what one thinks of a particular case or circumstances. Indeed, that's the whole point.

I will have to say, it's a first for me! There are many tragic or sympathetic things that happen in a courtroom. That's just how it is.

Just -- wow. An amazing demonstration of forgiveness. Powerful in the way that it flies in the face of how things seem to be going nowadays, and even more powerful because it wasn't scripted for the cameras, rehearsed, or self-serving in some way.

Seems like there's always someone who moves the 'generosity of spirit' bar higher. Does this mean that now when some guy pulls out to pass a line of cars in the exit lane, then puts on his signal to cut back in just ahead of me I have to let him in? Is through next week long enough?

15 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I have no problem with what the judge did. It was great moment of humanity. Of course, like the protesters, there are always dissenters and folks who pick out ‘problems’ of what people do - even in acts of compassion and grace. God bless all involved.

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2019/october/atheist-group-files-complaint-about-texas-judges-bible-gift-hug-to-convicted-murderer?cpid=:ID:-35477-:DT:-2019-10-03-18:10:20-:US:-SW1-:CN:-CP1-:PO:-NC1-:ME:-SU1-:SO:-FB1-:SP:-NW1-:PF:-TX1-

GG

8 hours ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS # 10274 said:
17 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I have no problem with what the judge did. It was great moment of humanity. Of course, like the protesters, there are always dissenters and folks who pick out ‘problems’ of what people do - even in acts of compassion and grace. God bless all involved.

What the brother did was great. What the judge did represents the triumph of sentimentality over discipline; but that's the contemporary world, alas. Both impartiality and the appearance of impartiality are essential to judges. There are always winners and losers in a courtroom; but it's important to everyone involved that they perceive they had a totally fair and impartial judge. Same going forward to the next case and the next....

On 10/3/2019 at 5:27 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

she didn't do it out of malice.

What about the rumors of her blatently racist statements?

7 hours ago, MizPete said:

This post was not intended to talk about the case. Regardless it’s obvious there was some forgiveness here.

GG

8 hours ago, MizPete said:

I stopped giving any credit to screams of "RACIST" years ago since it has lost almost all meaning except as a bludgeon to silence discussion.  Especially after, about 3 years ago two cops in San Francisco being disciplined for texting jokes to one another and the Chief say in a press release that they wanted only "right thinking" people on the force. 

"Right thinking."  The mindset that allows that as criteria for hiring is more frightening than any KKK member.

Archived