SASS Wire Forum

I made a gift, she want to give me something

Seriously I don't think I need anything.  I am downsizing and shedding things, selling stuff. giving away some stuff.

I have a 1000+ hours of culinary training and have been a little OCD about collecting knives. The daughter of a friend, Becky,  took a job as a prep cook. the guys in her kitchen use 12" chef's knives. I know at least 100 professional chefs, ALL of them use 8" knives. But this girl who was a tad soft 6 months ago has been trained to cut things like 3 bags of chicken breasts into tenders every day with a 12" knife. her mom tells me she is now rock hard.

Beck is not a big girl, 5 2 or 5 3.she started work and all the uniforms they had were "male" so her mom helped her buy something a little more "girl" the knife gloves they had were male, the company paid for girl sized gloves

So in my downsizing, I set aside a few of my extra knives, 18, which did not make a dent in my collection.  I think 12" is unreasonable but her mom says she is now using it at work exclusively. in my downsizing I packed a box of knives. see photo. the bandaids were my attempt at humor.

In my gift to her is a 14" knife where I suggested that if she is brave she can out macho the guys in her kitchen.

Soooo, I left this gift with her mom, Jenn, mom gave the box to Beck, eventually Beck will have her own apartment. Beck wants to get me a gift. I don't need anything.

Maybe I should just mention the traditional 1 penny per item?

What can I say to Jenn as a hint?

please help me out here.

box.JPG

Marshal:

I hope you put a bunch of pennies in that box.  My MIL used to insist that a friendship was severed by a gift of a knife, unless a penny was included; others believe that pennies must be given in exchange for the knives.  Maybe that's your answer - a roll of pennies.

If I were you, I'd be asking for some of her culinary masterpeices in exchange.

LL

I had never heard of the “penny with a knife” thing until recently. 

I like Loophole’s idea. Ask her to cook you something. My Samoan friend says “Food is Love”. It’s a great way to show appreciation and warm feelings. 

If you don't want/need anything, either ask if she is willing to cook you a meal or alternatively, if she is able, suggest that she can make a donation to a charity of your choosing.

I’d say let her cook something for you. It gives her the opportunity to give you a gift, use the gift she gave you, and show off her skills. 

My youngest child of four was the only one not to become a college educated engineer. She went to culinary school and now makes as much as her siblings while having the time of her life. 

Archived