SASS Wire Forum

Bandoleers, Why?

Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

in my best fatherly voice,,,,,          Because!

Because IF you had the shells arranged in that manner and IF you then also secured the bandoleer to your gunbelt you would effectively have a fully functional rigid shotgun belt above your belly button with no "downside" to the setup and everyone would get one to wear the shells up closer to the gun and get around the belly button rule.

58 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

In reference to the following locked thread, why is that illegal? Also, why is securing a bandoleer illegal?

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/292856-shotgun-bandoleer/

Securing the bandoleer has always been illegal, I am told. Orienting the shells in an upright position on a bandoleer is the part that they don’t like it looks like. 

Having the shells up closer to your loading hand is certainly helpful.  I've seen some pretty well built bandoleers that were very rigid without being fastened down in any way.  I'm thinking getting one of those and using it in addition to my current shotgun belt might be fun and fast. 

I don't have first hand answers to either question.  Second or third-hand I've heard The Judge himself said bandoliers couldn't be secured because they would then be suspenders, not bandoliers. Again, don't take that as gospel. 

22 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

I don't have first hand answers to either question.  Second or third-hand I've heard The Judge himself said bandoliers couldn't be secured because they would then be suspenders, not bandoliers. Again, don't take that as gospel. 

That IS the reason bandoliers may not be secured...and ammo loops on suspenders are NOT on the list of approved methods for carrying stage ammo.

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Having the shells up closer to your loading hand is certainly helpful.  I've seen some pretty well built bandoleers that were very rigid without being fastened down in any way.  I'm thinking getting one of those and using it in addition to my current shotgun belt might be fun and fast. 

I tried that for a little while and then when I went to bandoleer only it took four or five matches before I trained myself to not go to the slide or belt. There is a bit of a learning curve.

1 hour ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

Ms. Allie, the answer to your first question is, not of traditional design.

That is basically the reason the ROC ruled against allowing them.

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I would suggest using one OR the other. As Yul Lose correctly pointed out, there’s a definite learning curve when switching from one to the other. 

If you’ve ever driven a standard transmission car for years and then switched to automatic, how long did it take for your left foot to stop reaching for the clutch pedal when you first hop in? 

55 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

I would suggest using one OR the other. As Yul Lose correctly pointed out, there’s a definite learning curve when switching from one to the other. 

If you’ve ever driven a standard transmission car for years and then switched to automatic, how long did it take for your left foot to stop reaching for the clutch pedal when you first hop in? 

That’s why I would start with both. If I forgot and went to my belt they would be there.

I do the left foot thing constantly when switching between my wife’s Accord and my Camaro!

For me switching to a bandolier from a belt was like cleaning your windshield after driving with it dirty for a long time. It was a completely natural improvement for me and it just worked better right out of the gate. 

There are a few inherent advantages to a bandolier over a belt and vise-versa. Just as a sxs and a ‘97 can both have strengths and weaknesses. I personally feel that by not allowing a bandolier to be secured, it maintains some equity between the two and keeps the belt from being kicked to the wayside. I think the rules as they currently stand are the best they could be for the sport. 

or like going from an electric towmotor to your car,,, you grab the turn signal lever and jam it forward to get going,,,,,

18 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

That IS the reason bandoliers may not be secured...and ammo loops on suspenders are NOT on the list of approved methods for carrying stage ammo.

That's interesting.  So the reasons were connected.

Mernickle is now offering a leather Bandelero with the military elastic loops. That way you roll out the shells rather than have to pull them out.

13 minutes ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

Mernickle is now offering a leather Bandelero with the military elastic loops. That way you roll out the shells rather than have to pull them out.

I changed to the Bandoleer 5 years ago & wouldn't go back to the belt..I've often wondered what the elastic loops would be like.......in saying that I am happy with my Tombstone leather Tupelo style.

1 hour ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

I had Double Diamond switch out my leather loops to elastic and I like it much better. I’ve been using it about 5 years. Nick at Tombstone builds his with leather loops that allow you to tilt the shells out not pull them. I prefer the elastic.

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I had Double Diamond switch out my leather loops to elastic and I like it much better. I’ve been using it about 5 years. Nick at Tombstone builds his with leather loops that allow you to tilt the shells out not pull them. I prefer the elastic.

Really? I saw one of the new mernickle ones with the elastic, but I have been using the leather one Nick makes for 5 years now and really like it. I hope it lasts forever, because I don't want to have to "train" a new one to fit me perfectly and work like mine does. The only downside for mine is that it doesn't work as well for my 87. I prefer a slide for that.

50 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Really? I saw one of the new mernickle ones with the elastic, but I have been using the leather one Nick makes for 5 years now and really like it. I hope it lasts forever, because I don't want to have to "train" a new one to fit me perfectly and work like mine does. The only downside for mine is that it doesn't work as well for my 87. I prefer a slide for that.

Yep, really.

12 hours ago, War Grizzly said:

Smokestack, do you have a picture of your bandolier? I've considered going to one myself. I assume that a good design is cut to the contour of the shooters shoulder.

This isn’t Smokestack. This is Tupelo Flash who Tombstone Leather’s Bandolier is named after. 

E6666025-C745-4F90-80E8-8EEF8D402B8D.jpeg

2 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I love the way mine works with my ‘87 

2 hours ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

I love the way mine works with my ‘87 

Wow. I can’t see the second grab, nor the shells going into the 87, and the first is partially masked. But it obviously works. Anymore videos? I’d love to see how it all works. 

43 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Wow. I can’t see the second grab, nor the shells going into the 87, and the first is partially masked. But it obviously works. Anymore videos? I’d love to see how it all works. 

Here are a couple videos that I used to learn this technique. The right hand shells are grabbed upside down and loaded while shouldering. The left hand are pinned against the forend until needed. 

23 minutes ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

Here are a couple videos that I used to learn this technique. The right hand shells are grabbed upside down and loaded while shouldering. The left hand are pinned against the forend until needed. 

Thanks. That helps a lot. Well maybe after I watch them in super slomo. I never thought of pulling them from the bando like that. That would help a lot more. 

I can't figure out what I'm seeing.  I was going to ask you to demonstrate shooting 4 shots, but then I replayed it and watched the timer. 

In that last video, you're pulling 5?  Load 2 initially, then reload 3?  Or was it load 3 initially and reload 2?  What does it look like if there are more SG targets?  How many can you pull initially? 

On 10/2/2019 at 8:07 PM, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

PS: I think anyone who would want the shells on a bandolier to sit vertically, hadn’t spent enough time with a well designed one to know why they shouldn’t. 

Assuming that you are right handed, can you grab 4 with your pump hand and load over the top with any currently legal style bandoleer? My only reason for wanting to vertically stage shells in a bandoleer would be to accomplish the grab 4 the same as the guys with the SG bets with the tiny divider between the 2 pockets of 2 shells. I guess if you have giant hands it wouldn't be that impossible, The one guy I shoot with that runs a 97 wears a bandoleer and loads over top shoots 16GA to make it possible. I want to use a bandoleer so bad, but I still want to be able to pull 4.

I pull 4 from my bandoleer and load over the top all the time. Single Barrel taught me a technique that almost eliminates fumbling when pulling and loading this way. I’m sure Smokestack could post how he does it. When Smokestack does post a video of how he does it pay attention to his hands. His fingers are not very long and built like Polish sausages and he grabs 4 with no problem. With a little bit of practice you ought to be able to do it to.

2 hours ago, Dust'N Bottles said:

I want to use a bandoleer so bad, but I still want to be able to pull 4.

Then why don't you do it. Buy a bandoleer and practice until you can do it like everyone else did. I guess you are just looking for some kind of short cut so you don't have to practice. :)

Having the loops oriented in a vertical configuration (straight up & down) on a laterally angled (slanted) bandolier would offset the ammunition (i.e. similar to stair steps).

How would that possibly facilitate pulling multiple rounds at the same time?? 

:blink:

(aside from the fact that, being ruled as illegal, the penalties would be a "P" + misses)??

Archived