SASS Wire Forum

Mixed Revovlers, new SASS member

Jack-Knife

Howdy all -

Getting my gear together and considering buying a Uberti Cattleman El Patron to go with my ruger new vaquero instead of having 2 matching vaqueros.  Got into SASS due to the love of historic firearms (have an 1873 lever) and wondering if there are any real disadvantages to mixed 6 guns other than the obvious manual of arms.  Both would be 5.5 inches 357 magnum.  Holsters are made for vaqueros but I think the form factor is similar enough.  Appreciate the advice.

There is no need to have a "matched pair" of pistols.   In fact, I've got at least 25 SASS type guns, and only 2 truly matched pairs, a couple of Nagants, albeit with different front sights, and a pair of 58 Remmies, but with different ejectors.

Granted, many of my other guns are very similar, with only the barrel length and/or finish differing.  But sometimes I pair up two guns that are radically different just for the fun of doing so.

It may help that I shoot "double duelist" style as opposed to shooting everything with the same hand, so I really don't notice the differences.  I have noticed that the folks who are the loudest advocates of needing a matched pair seem to be those who shoot everything with the same hand using a 2 handed grip.

Take it with a grain of salt.

The only disadvantage to "mixed" pistols is 1) any difficulty you might have due to different configurations (grip shape, hammer spur differences, etc.); and 2) logistically, if you use guns with different cartridges.  If those two aren't a problem, then...have at it! Welcome to the campfire!:)

I think the answer is going to be, shoot what you like. I have only been shooting for a year, but I have learned that if it is a SASS legal weapon you can shoot what you want. Take a look at the SASS Shooters Handbook categories and make sure your weapons fit into the category you intend to shoot. The biggest advantage to the .38 is the lower cost for reloading. 

My advice is to go to a local match with what you have and borrow what you don't - especially if considering going with something other than what you already have. 

Contact the match director in advance and introduce yourself and tell them your situation. Most match directors can wrangle up enough firearms and ammunition fire you to shoot each stage with something different. 

Try before you buy.

7 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Try before you buy.

THIS ^^^^

If you have never shot one go to a match and see how you like the same or very similar firearm.  Will save you money in the long run. 

As above try before you buy.

I used to own a set of Uberti El Patron's and I kick myself about once a month for ever selling them. I will buy another set one day, you can also get them with 1860 grips so if you have big paws try that out before you buy.

Depends on your goals in Cowboy Action Shooting.  If your idea of fun and grins is to someday get fast and eventually winning categories and such, you'll want matching guns that feel the same, run the same. 

If your idea of fun and grins is a nice day with friends throwing lead downrange without too much regard to placement, what the heck... whatever brings a smile to your face.

Myself, I'm somewhere in the middle.  So, I often switch off to other guns, calibers, barrel lengths and powders... but always in a matched set.

In the end, it's whatever pleases you.  Go to a match, wrap your hands around various guns and see what fits you.

Welcome to the best game and folks goin Knifetoagunfight.

I started with mis- matched guns and just had a bit of an awkward feeling when switching guns as I shoot 2 handed. With the grips being different, they pointed different. Wasn't the end of the world however and might give you a chance to see which you prefer. Hang on for the addiction!

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

Doesn't matter to me what I'm using.

Depending on the day I may be using two different calibers and different barrel lengths.

The grips may also be mixed - birdshead, ploughshare, or 1860 Army.

My only preference is to have the longer barrel in my weak side cross draw holster.

It's been 27 years ago, but the first revolvers I used for CAS would have been mixed finishes/calibers/barrel length.

I shoot something different every match, and change categories several times a season. :)

I am of the playing cowboy school. I own 5 sets of matched pistols. I shoot gunfighter and matched guns are far better for that style and for double duelist. If those styles are a possibility I would get a match for your Ruger. Just my thoughts on the subject.

i started out with mismatched and still have a set of those , i do have a matched set of vaqueros but i will be honest and admit i shoot both sets equally well , my main set is 5.5 matched but the backups are a 5.5 taurus that is  slicked and a 4.75 vaquero so they are really miss-matched , the big thing is all have similar grip scales so they feel quite similar , in the past i mixed in a variety of uberti , cimmeron , pietta offerings of every length and grip style , 

you are bound to want to try something once in a while - it adds to the fun , go with it and enjoy it , its always cheaper when a friendly cowpoke lets you try one before you buy it , but we all get a few and part with a few over the years , 

15 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy

Who says you have to have matching pistols?

SampW%20New%20MOdel%20Number%20Three%20a

Wait a minute, Driftwood!  Those match . . . they're both shiny and they both look funny!  So there. :D

There aint nothin wrong with mis-matched sixguns.  I usually use two rugers, but of different barrel lengths.  I swap one out for my first gen Colt when I feel like it.

Only thing I would say is watch out if you end up with two different calibers that are easily confused (at a glance).  My rugers are 45colt, the colt is 44-40, and aside from my 45colt rifles, I have a model 94 trapper in 44mag that I just love to shoot.  Whilst plinking one day (I hate the world "practice"), I accidentally loaded some 44mag cowboy loads in my old style 45colt ruger vaqueros.  They fired, and they hit paper, but them shells sure looked funny when I ejected them.  Thankfully no damage since them Rugers hold up to some very stout hunting loads, but not all guns are as strong as those old style Ruger tanks.  Since then (it was long ago), if I am going to be shooting different similar looking ammo, I color the primers with different color sharpie pens just to keep things straight.

On 10/2/2019 at 8:03 PM, Bull Skinner said:

I am of the playing cowboy school. I own 5 sets of matched pistols. I shoot gunfighter and matched guns are far better for that style and for double duelist. If those styles are a possibility I would get a match for your Ruger. Just my thoughts on the subject.

I’ve been shooting gunfighter since I started five years ago and until a couple of months ago I never even owned matched pistols. Not only do I use different guns, but also different calibers sometimes. And when I’m playing Rafe Covington, I use a schofield with smokeless and an open top with BP. 

3 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I’ve been shooting gunfighter since I started five years ago and until a couple of months ago I never even owned matched pistols. Not only do I use different guns, but also different calibers sometimes. And when I’m playing Rafe Covington, I use a schofield with smokeless and an open top with BP. 

The good Lord made us all unique and you and I are examples of it! B)

Gentleman, never said he had to shoot matching pistols! I have shot mismatches On occasion me ownself. I said if he was ever gonna shoot gunfighter it’d make his life easier is all. Jeesh! My opinion, not a mandate. Some of ya take this here GAME a little too seriously. 

4 hours ago, Bull Skinner said:

Gentleman, never said he had to shoot matching pistols! I have shot mismatches On occasion me ownself. I said if he was ever gonna shoot gunfighter it’d make his life easier is all. Jeesh! My opinion, not a mandate. Some of ya take this here GAME a little too seriously. 

I believe he is referring to me, and calling me divinely unique might encourage me to start thinking of myself as a one of a kind special snowflake and start behaving  accordingly. 

1. El Hombre?    Start?  :rolleyes:

When I started shooting SASS you only needed one hand gun.   When we went to two guns pretty much most folk had mis-matched guns.    Over time  ya figured out if it actually mattered to your own shooting or simply what worked best/easiest for you.

I like duplicate pairs myself.  But there was a time not too long ago that I couldn't afford even one of the guns in this photo let alone a dbl gun rig to put two in.  I've learned that I'm not skilled enough to manage more than one weapon system at a time, so I stick to the duplicates and try to concentrate on the shooting.

DSC04501.JPG

2 hours ago, levi littleton said:
  1. El Hombre?    Start?  :rolleyes:

When I started shooting SASS you only needed one hand gun.   When we went to two guns pretty much most folk had mis-matched guns.    Over time  ya figured out if it actually mattered to your own shooting or simply what worked best/easiest for you.

I like duplicate pairs myself.  But there was a time not too long ago that I couldn't afford even one of the guns in this photo let alone a dbl gun rig to put two in.  I've learned that I'm not skilled enough to manage more than one weapon system at a time, so I stick to the duplicates and try to concentrate on the shooting.

DSC04501.JPG

Those are some good looking shooting irons. Is it deja Vu, or have I seen those before? Sure do look familiar B)

7 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I believe he is referring to me, and calling me divinely unique might encourage me to start thinking of myself as a one of a kind special snowflake and start behaving  accordingly. 

:lol:

On 10/4/2019 at 1:10 AM, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy

Who says you have to have matching pistols?

SampW%20New%20MOdel%20Number%20Three%20a

Something seems to be missing from your Merwin, Driftwood.

495153431_MHSW.thumb.JPG.53b11ff951d901a094d5a1ea30beacb5.JPG

Of course, if you look at these guns closely, you see that the Merwin and the Smith have a lot of similarities.   And not just in caliber.   (.44 Russian for Driftwood, .44-40 for me.)

Archived