SASS Wire Forum

B-17 Down....

A loss for sure... a B-17 apparently crashed at an airport just outside of Hartford, Connecticut this morning.

WWII B-17 plane crashes, erupts into flames...

Looks like it might be the Collings Foundation's "Nine-O-Nine."  Possibly six people injured.  :(

Edit:  Two Seven fatalities  :(

It's sad when we lose one of these glorious warbirds, triple sad when human life is lost at the same time.

I worked for Robert Collings back in the 70's when he owned an electronic cash register company called Data Terminal Systems.This was just before he created the Collings Foundation.

:(:(:(:(:(

I've walked through that very plane a number of times and if it wasn't for my extreme dislike of flying I probably would have paid to be taken on a flight.

On edit: 7 fatalities as of 6:20 EST 10/2/19 

Idiot senator Blumenthal wants an immediate grounding of All vintage planes.

40 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Idiot?

You are much more kind than I am.  :mellow:

14 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Idiot is too kind of a description for the senior senator from CT.  And worse, he is arguably the smarter of the 2 senators from this state.

18 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

18 hours ago, Chantry said:

Idiot is too kind of a description for the senior senator from CT.  And worse, he is arguably the smarter of the 2 senators from this state.

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

If that moron doesn't have something to ban he apparently has no purpose in life.

A bit of a divergence from the topic, but - from Wiki, a glimpse into the man's character:

Blumenthal received five draft deferments during the Vietnam War,[14] obtaining first educational deferments, and then deferments based on his occupation.[15] With part-time service in the reserves or National Guard generally regarded as an alternative for those wishing to avoid serving in Vietnam,[16] in April 1970 Blumenthal enlisted in the United States Marine Corps Reserve,[17] and he served in units in Washington, D.C., and Connecticut from 1970 to 1976,[18][19] attaining the rank of sergeant.[20] During his 2010 Senate campaign, news reports that Blumenthal had claimed that he'd served "in Vietnam" created a controversy.[21][22] Blumenthal denied having intentionally misled voters, but acknowledged having occasionally "misspoken" about his service record.[23] and later apologized for remarks about his military service he said had not been "clear or precise".

4 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

A bit of a divergence from the topic, but - from Wiki, a glimpse into the man's character:

A distinct lack of character:  "acknowledged having occasionally "misspoken" about his service record" which is politician speak for "I lied for political gain until I got caught"

Yes we know, another Fortunate Son just like Bill Clinton. Not surprising. I understand nobody wanted to go to Vietnam, but to use the privilege afforded by your social status while young inner-city kids were forced to go was way wrong.

The other problem with pinheads like Sen. Blumenthal is that they go and make some public proclamation without even knowing what the hell they're talking about. Anyone who follows vintage aircraft knows that those planes are completely rebuilt from the ground up, to the point that the counter to reset to zero on the airframe's hours. These are not rattletraps with 80+ years of use and a hundred billion hours of flight time. They are maintained to the nth degree and owned by millionaires who can actually afford the upkeep. Unfortunately however they are still just machines, and even the most well-maintained aircraft can suddenly bust a part at the worst possible moment.

Heard today that the while the pilot and Copilot didn't survive:(

The Flight Engineer did survive but I did not hear how badly he was injured. Hopefully he can shed some light on exactly what happened.

One of the passengers is a Chief Master Sargent in the Air National Guard and is/was a C-130 Load Master. He used his aircrew training to save several of the passengers.

We salute the Air National Guard chief master sergeant who pulled passengers from a fiery B-17 crash.

Archived