SASS Wire Forum

Comparing the 97 to the 12

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

To those who know, how similar are the innards of the Winchester Model 12 and the Model 97?   A casual look at the two guns side by side gives the impression that a 12 is just a hammerless 97, but I assume there is a lot more too it than that.   Can anyone provide an answer?  Just a curious pondering, nothing more.

Related question.   All of the 12's I've ever seen are takedowns, and the barrel assembly *looks* identical to the ones on a takedown 97.  (I don't actually own a 12)  Are the barrels swappable?

the winchester mdl 25 seems close to a non take down mdl 12

oh, the mag springs will interchange,,, 

The model 97 and model 12 are completely different inside. The 97's barrel is much thicker than the model 12's as well. The barrel assembly's might swap, but I doubt that it would be an easy swap considering the action slide bars are not the same.

As Cheyenne Culpepper mentioned above the model 25 in essentially a non take down model 12. Many of it's parts will fit the M12, however the M25 is not an approved shotgun.  

ohhh wait,  I know another thing about the likenesses,,,  they are both pump guns and one more, they both will slam fire...

On 10/2/2019 at 10:19 AM, Tully Mars said:

As Cheyenne Culpepper mentioned above the model 25 in essentially a non take down model 12. Many of it's parts will fit the M12, however the M25 is not an approved shotgun.  

Neither is the Model 12 for Cowboy, it is legal and works great for Wild Bunch.

Archived