SASS Wire Forum

stuff to keep guns from sticking in holster

Boomstick Bruce

I saw someone, somewhere, at one of the shoots i went to use this stuff to stop the pistols from sticking in the holster. he put a little on his finger, rubbed it inside the holster and it worked like a charm!. my 1911 hangs up sometimes and i want to get this stuff but i dont know who had it or what it was called... anyone know what im talking about?

Once upon a time I had a newish holster and the gun was kinda sticky in it.  Kickshot comes up to me and says, "Try this!" and rubs some kg9 in my holster.  Okay, it works real good.  Then I pull out the gun to load it and the stuff that was in the holsters is now on the cylinder and then it is on my fingers as I turn the cylinder to load it.  And it is REAL SLIPPERY on your fingers and REAL HARD to wash off!  Fortunately I didn't drop the gun.  Nowdays I dust some talcum powder in the holster if it is sticky.

Man-O-Man-O-Man! That stuff does INDEED work, but you had better pay attention. Get a little too much and your guns will jump out of the holsters as you run. I've seen it on more than one occasion. I just do a good Wet=Fit on my leather and unless it is extremely humid there is never a problem. An occasional touch of wax polish inside the holster helps to keep any leather swelling down from excessive moisture. But yes.. that KG9 stuff will really slick things up, and you will drop everything that you pick up if you don't get it all off of your fingers. 

Snakebite

A few of the gamers around here use silicon spray.  Put their leather on and spray each side.  They also put some on a cloth and wipe their SG shells as they load up their belt.  I haven't tried it (don't have a sticking problem) but they swear by it.

KG9

Best stuff for sticky holster.

As pointed out. A little goes a long way.

It will leave your finger pretty slick also. So do it BEFORE you go to the match

or you will have slick fingers.

But this stuff works great.

Again, KG9.

Again, be very careful in application and clean your hands well after. 

I put just a smidge on my index finger and wipe around the throat of the holster only as deep as the cylinder. 

You don't want to put so much on as to leave it wet. 

Pure Carnuba wax.Most leather suppliers( Tandy Leather,Weavers etc)sell it.Readily available on the internet.Provides good moisture protection, keeps the leather in good shape.

Use like any other wax,apply a thin coat, let it dry,buff it out.

Choctaw Jack 

2 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Again, KG9.

Again, be very careful in application and clean your hands well after. 

I put just a smidge on my index finger and wipe around the throat of the holster only as deep as the cylinder. 

You don't want to put so much on as to leave it wet. 

Yeah, put a little on your index finger, but be careful if you pick your nose, you might poke your brain out when your finger goes all the way in. :P

A holster well and correctly blocked to fit the specific gun is my choice.  A tiny amount to drag is actually a good thing.  Especially if yer quick and you can run.

You mean nobody else uses lard?   I mean, it's great for everything.  And you can even cook with it.  Just lather up your guns and holsters with it and ain't NOTHING gonna stick.  Lube your guns, lube your holsters, lube your shells... YEE HAA!!!  Lard!

Angus

jest funnin' in case somewhomever don't already know that.

I use the KG9. I've also got some Black Magic Trim and Tire conditioner gel that I'll be trying in the near future. Works great inside the car. Slide all around on the seats when applied. Bad news is that I don't think they sell that exact product any more. I just bought the last 2 bottles that I found. Like everyone says, a drop goes a long way...

7 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Man-O-Man-O-Man! That stuff does INDEED work, but you had better pay attention. Get a little too much and your guns will jump out of the holsters as you run. I've seen it on more than one occasion. I just do a good Wet=Fit on my leather and unless it is extremely humid there is never a problem. An occasional touch of wax polish inside the holster helps to keep any leather swelling down from excessive moisture. But yes.. that KG9 stuff will really slick things up, and you will drop everything that you pick up if you don't get it all off of your fingers. 

Snakebite

Have Seen it Happen sevearl time also.  But works Great when used sparingly

I had two holsters made for my new 32's.  The maker said they might be a bit tight and sent me some chamois strips.  He said to wrap the guns and put them in the holsters overnight.  It did loosen them up.  When I go to a match, I put the 32's in the holsters with the strips.  Since I've been doing that, I don't have problems with them sticking nor do they fly out when I pivot.   Silicon works, but I like this better.

Haven't tried KG9 in my holsters yet as they fit quite perfect even after 8 years, but I do apply some to my shotgun belt loops. Just let it soak in and dry before using so it doesn't get you or your gun as above. Follow the directions, it is wicked slippery!

I’d rather have my holsters fit the guns so that they don’t stick (kind of like Colorado Coffinmaker said).  The way I got mine to fit right was to wet the holsters thoroughly with water and place the gun in the holster while wet with the gun wrapped in one of those thick “baggies”.   After inserting the gun kind of twist it around some to stress the tight parts of the holster.  Then let it dry with gun and baggie in place.

After you remove the gun it won’t stick anymore.  

2 hours ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

I’d rather have my holsters fit the guns so that they don’t stick (kind of like Colorado Coffinmaker said).  The way I got mine to fit right was to wet the holsters thoroughly with water and place the gun in the holster while wet with the gun wrapped in one of those thick “baggies”.   After inserting the gun kind of twist it around some to stress the tight parts of the holster.  Then let it dry with gun and baggie in place.

Me too.  I don’t want any resistance when drawing or re-holstering.  Stretch the leather and don’t use lubricants.  Preserve the leather with a good quality boot polish— that’s what Kirkpatrick, my holster maker, recommended.

16 hours ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

When I make a holster(s) for a customer I always enclose instructions similar to Cypress Sam's on how to wet-fit the holster.  Get the inside too slick and you will have the gun come flying out when you do much of anything but stand there!

Archived