SASS Wire Forum

Baptist Ball

Subdeacon Joe

Southern Baptist Softball League Implements ‘Once Safe, Always Safe’ Rule For Baserunners

LOUISVILLE, KY—Church softball is an honored tradition that goes all the way back to the time of the patriarchs. In Louisville, the holy pastime is so beloved that Southern Baptists have their own intradenominational league in which all SBC churches in the area compete against each other.

The league's unity was threatened, however, when teams couldn't agree on the rules for baserunning: can baserunners lose their safe status, should they go astray and leave a base? Or once they are declared safe, forever justified by an infallible umpire, are they always safe from that moment forward?

Supporters of both sides argued their cases in an open forum at Southern Seminary ahead of league playoffs earlier this week.

"It's clear from the Scriptures that the doctrine of the perseverance of the baserunners best represents a biblical worldview," said Al Mohler, pausing to oil his robotic elbow. "Those who support the idea that a safe baserunner can lose his safe-ation are undoubtedly influenced by critical theory and Marxism."

When any religion tries to change the rules of baseball,  they are going to quickly learn there are limits to biblical interpretation.

A catcher’s successful pick-off throw is a beautiful cause for celebration.  I refuse to believe that any god would not appreciate such artistry!  

My first thought when I saw the title of this thread was "OmiGawd!  A Ball!  With a punch bowl and dancing??"   surprised.gif

40 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I'd like to hear Birdgun weigh in on this.

So do I!

7 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Fast pitch or slow pitch?

Looks like fastpitch:
https://goetbutigers.com/news/2019/4/17/ranked-etbu-softball-stays-at-2-in-nation.aspx

MARSHALL, Texas – In the newest National FastPitch Coaches Association NCAA Division III poll, the East Texas Baptist University softball team remains as the second ranked team in the nation. This continues to be their highest ranking since being ranked second in the nation on March 18, 2015, This is also the 87th consecutive week they have been ranked.

Virginia Wesleyan remained as the top team in the nation for the third week in a row with 200 points and all eight first place votes. ETBU is right behind with 192 points in second after dropping their second game of the season on Sunday. Other teams ranked in the West Region are Claremont-Mudd-Scripts at 7th (27-6), Linfield at 8th (28-5-1), Texas Lutheran at 15th (25-7), and Southwestern at 23rd (29-4).

ETBU will host Texas Tyler in regional play on Thursday and Friday in their final regular season home games at Taylor Field. ETBU will host the 2019 American Southwest Conference Tournament after clinching the regular season title last weekend.

11 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

My first thought when I saw the title of this thread was "OmiGawd!  A Ball!  With a punch bowl and dancing??"   surprised.gif

Only if the shades are pulled completely down. :lol: 

13 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Me, too.

I imagined a period photo of young men and women standing in 2 groups segregated by gender staring awkwardly at each other from across a room.

On the other hand,  the food on the buffet would be well worth the price of admission.

Well I don't know about baseball, but in the SASS Baptist Category, each Baptist shooter will be free to interpret the rules for themselves without some authority telling them what they are supposed to do.  Seems baseball should be the same.  And for the Baptist player, once his soul is safe, then changing to unsafe, why that's just being double minded.  And the scriptures are clear about the double minded.

James 1:8 (KJV)

A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

P.S.  Haven't you noticed that the ways of some characters here in this Saloon are pretty 'unstable'??? :lol:

TOO many preachers, who like to hear the sound of their own mouth going off and with their hand in the collection, and not enough religious teachers and leaders. 

That silly, lame nonsense is a blasphemous and disgraceful exhibition of stupidity.

Let them play with themselves.

Cat Brules

Archived