SASS Wire Forum

Spotted

Subdeacon Joe

Dalmatians!!  I’ve had three!  One of the most loyal AND territorial pets you will EVER have!!

I like most dogs better than I like most people!!

35 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

First breed of dog I ever saw chew through a chain link fence. :o

My third one had separation anxiety. I bought a chain link dog run to keep him in during the day while we were at work. The first day he was sitting on the front porch when I got home.

Schoolmarm accidentally left our first Dalmatian in the bathroom and closed the door when we left to go to dinner.  When we got home, the bottom half of the bathroom door was in splinters!

Rich and Michelle had Dalmatians.

I fought fire with Rich and Michelle both.

Husband and wife were equally skilled at ventilating a roof, humping a hose line, running the nob and profaning the Chief, not necessarily in that order.

I ran squad with them both, Michelle was the best squad partner I ever had -- she was the smoooothest driver I ever partnered with, and when necessary she had a pilot's license if she had to make the squad scoot along at Mach or close to it.

Their Dalmatians loved sitting on the fire truck in parades, didn't matter if it was on the hose bed or in the cab, they were in hog heaven.

As long as they were on a fire truck, they'd let anyone pet them and make over them.

Sirens never bothered any of their Dalmatians.

Every last one of their spotty dogs was deaf as a post.

Unfortunately, deafness is a recessive genetic malady that occurs in Dalmatians. None of mine suffered from deafness.

They were originally bred as dogs for war. Evidence of Dalmatians in battle dates back to Egyptian times. They were found to be fond of and great around horses, thus they found homes in stables and became the dog of choice for horse drawn coaches. There are competitions today for coach dogs. I have been told of multiple instances where one Dalmatian ran the course with two separate teams of horses and still seemed ready for another go!

These dogs were even more popular around stables because of their prowess as ratters! They are often better at catching rodents than any cat ever thought, (if cats actually have conscious thoughts) of being. We would have an invasion of field mice in the neighborhood when a neighboring farmer cut his fields for hay. They came in droves!  Harley, my big male, once caught eight of the little devils in one evening!

This made them popular in fire halls a couple of centuries ago. A tradition that carries on to this day. A healthy Dalmatian can leap a five foot fence and they LOVE to ride, so it was inevitable that they would be found on the boxes of wagons and coaches and eventually the fire wagons and finally on fire trucks everywhere.

Mine were fabulous companions, loyal and protective of my family, and they were comical, entertaining companions at home and on the road!!

Archived