SASS Wire Forum

Will they reissue your driver's license number?

Alpo

Bob, for example.

He lived in Florida, had a Florida license.

Mxxx-xxx-46-xxx-0

Now he lives in Colorado. Has a Colorado license.

If he were to decide that he really missed the tourists, and the hurricanes, and the tourists, and the humidity, and the mosquitoes, and the tourists, and having air in his air, so moved back to South Florida, would they reissue him his old Florida license number, or give him a new one?

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

Bob, for example.

Mxxx-xxx-46-xxx-0

If he were to decide that he really missed the tourists, and the hurricanes, and the tourists, and the humidity, and the mosquitoes, and the tourists, and having air in his air, so moved back to South Florida, would they reissue him his old Florida license number, or give him a new one?

Who knows what Florida would do.  However New Hampshire did reissue my number in such a case. Now they have changed their system and may have even changed that.

7 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Bob, for example.

Mxxx-xxx-46-xxx-0

I lived in PA from 1977 until 1985, when I moved to Maryland.  I moved back to PA in 2005 and they gave me my old driver's license number back after being gone for 20 years.

Montana issues a new number, but our system only allows for 999 numbers for each specific birthday, so numbers are re-used.

Example:

The first two numbers are the birth month, August.

The next three, 123, are random numbers.

The next four are the birth year, 1968.

The 41 is static on everyone's license, signifying Montana as being the 41st state. There's no reason for it to be there, other than to make the number longer.

The last two indicate the day of the month the person was born.

This number would be the 123rd license issued for a person born on August 4th, 1968

51 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Montana issues a new number, but our system only allows for 999 numbers for each specific birthday, so numbers are re-used.

Example:

The first two numbers are the birth month, August.

The next three, 123, are random numbers.

The next four are the birth year, 1968.

The 41 is static on everyone's license, signifying Montana as being the 41st state. There's no reason for it to be there, other than to make the number longer.

The last two indicate the day of the month the person was born.

This number would be the 123rd license issued for a person born on August 4th, 1968

So is it the 123rd license or is the 123 random.  I suspect random, Montana just no have that many people.

In Alabama, your file is permanent, and marked "left state" until you move back, or until a death certificate for you is forwarded to Alabama Vital Statistics.  

That said, I've known a couple of troopers who were associated with the License Division in Alabama that claimed a few very low numbers when they became available because the previous person assigned died.  They would just have the clerk change the surrendered number for theirs.  Alabama's license number has 7 digits.  One friend had a license with 5 "0"s and 2 other digits.  

Some states used to base your DL # on your SSN. Some used your birthday and other personally identifiable information. Some used both in the mix. The numbers were plugged into an algorithm that determined your DL #. All a state government official or law enforcement officer had to do was enter your DL# into the system and check the results with your social security card or the birthday on your license. Made it easier to spot fakes.

Not sure if any states still do this. 

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Massachusetts used SSN in the 70s. One could request to get a different identifier on the DL.

Now they are a randomly generated series of 8 digits, preceded by a letter.  Now that folks want to steal and wrongfully use your SS number.

LL

Another driver's license question.

Here in Florida your license starts with a letter. The letter is the first letter of your last name. If Loophole were a Floridian, his license number would be Lxxxxxx... If Allie were a Floridan, hers would be Mxxxxxx...  Hardpan's would be Cxxxxx...

Y'all see how that works, right?

I know this woman. Her parents' name startied with M. When she was 17 she married man whose name started with T. At about 24 she married man whose name started with W. At 29 she married an L. That one only lasted a couple of months. At 30 she married an A. She is currently married to a P.

That is 6 different last names. I wonder if each time she got a new last name her driver's license number was changed, or if it stayed Mxxxxxxx... since that was what she was issued at the age of 16?

10 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Another driver's license question.

Here in Florida your license starts with a letter. The letter is the first letter of your last name. If Loophole were a Floridian, his license number would be Lxxxxxx... If Allie were a Floridan, hers would be Mxxxxxx...  Hardpan's would be Cxxxxx...

Y'all see how that works, right?

I know this woman. Her parents' name startied with M. When she was 17 she married man whose name started with T. At about 24 she married man whose name started with W. At 29 she married an L. That one only lasted a couple of months. At 30 she married an A. She is currently married to a P.

That is 6 different last names. I wonder if each time she got a new last name her driver's license number was changed, or if it stayed Mxxxxxxx... since that was what she was issued at the age of 16?

Ask her.

When I moved from Texas to Kansas in '89, Kansas went with my SS#.

Twelve years later, when I moved back to Texas I asked for my old Texas number but got a brand new one.

Archived