SASS Wire Forum

Any pickers out here?

Marshal Hangtree

Any guitar, banjo, mandolin, dobro, etc. pickers here?

I've played a little fiddle, and a little clawhammer banjo, and upright bass in the past.  But tomorrow night I start my first lessons on the Dobro.  Can't wait.

I’m going to give the banjo another shot.

1 hour ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

3 finger Scruggs style, or old time?

3 finger.

I’ve been playing guitar for 50 years on and off. It’s not my first instrument that would be drums. I started on guitar but just never got serious about it. I pick it up every day lately but just play mostly chords.

Never got serious about learning. My hands were made for other tasks.  I have three guitars, all tuned to open E.  I can play bar cords and can almost keep up if the song is real slow.

I know some great guitar players and I’m usually able to convince them to play so folks don’t notice how bad I sound when I sing!!

OOPS....Wrong kind of picker! :P

image.png.ff33676a318ea97b65485ce7a02e7ff3.png

Seriously though, I thought it was going to be about.... ;)

image.png.8dc8f58bcbc8e2f24ae182b341fe9aa2.png

Do you Know how Banjo's and Onions Differ ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, No one Cries when you cut up a Banjo .....

Do you Know how to tell when the stage is level ,,,,,,,,,, the Banjo player is drooling out of both sides of his mouth ...

Do you Know what is a perfect Pitch with a Banjo,,,,,,, a bounce of the railing,,, and bounce of the side of the dumpster and In .....<_<

Jabez Cowboy

2 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Do you Know how Banjo's and Onions Differ ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, No one Cries when you cut up a Banjo .....

Do you Know how to tell when the stage is level ,,,,,,,,,, the Banjo player is drooling out of both sides of his mouth ...

Do you Know what is a perfect Pitch with a Banjo,,,,,,, a bounce of the railing,,, and bounce of the side of the dumpster and In .....<_<

Jabez Cowboy

You fellers from Canaduh know lots of banjo jokes.:D

This feller lives in my county and not only can build guitars, he can also play the heck out of one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Henderson_(luthier)

Check him out on youtube also:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wayne+henderson+guitar

I took up guitar as an adult. After a number of years taking lessons, I don't consider myself very good. I have a hard time relaxing and not second guessing myself as I play. Oddly, that is not a problem I have in karate.

My guitar instructor was an amazing talent, and I've often wondered why he never left our town. We became good friends, and we would often spend the better part of a lesson talking music instead of actually working on a lesson. Sadly, he passed away at the beginning of the year. I haven't had it in me to pick up a guitar sense, and they sit in their cases.

One picture is Rob Mowery performing live, the other are my two guitars, both gifts. We have a total of four electric, three acoustic and two bass guitars in our house. That doesn't include the other instruments.

If I were going to take up another instrument, it would have to be mandolin, so I could play some Led Zeppelin tunes that use it, and maybe some Bill Monroe for the heck of it.

167704_134429743285886_7152552_n.jpg

IMG_0093.JPG

10 hours ago, DocWard said:

I took up guitar as an adult. After a number of years taking lessons, I don't consider myself very good. I have a hard time relaxing and not second guessing myself as I play. Oddly, that is not a problem I have in karate.

My guitar instructor was an amazing talent, and I've often wondered why he never left our town. We became good friends, and we would often spend the better part of a lesson talking music instead of actually working on a lesson. Sadly, he passed away at the beginning of the year. I haven't had it in me to pick up a guitar sense, and they sit in their cases.

One picture is Rob Mowery performing live, the other are my two guitars, both gifts. We have a total of four electric, three acoustic and two bass guitars in our house. That doesn't include the other instruments.

If I were going to take up another instrument, it would have to be mandolin, so I could play some Led Zeppelin tunes that use it, and maybe some Bill Monroe for the heck of it.

167704_134429743285886_7152552_n.jpg

IMG_0093.JPG

• 1 month later...

Well, right after finding a local Dobro teacher, I was put in contact with a local fiddle teacher who plays old time fiddle by ear.  So I put the dobro on hold and went back to the fiddle again.  Havin' a blast with the fiddle and making progress.

On 10/1/2019 at 8:19 PM, Yul Lose said:

You fellers from Canaduh know lots of banjo jokes.:D

But they don't understand banjos, nor appreciate them the way we aficionados, do.

My partner in 'Nam could expertly play anything with strings on it, and often proved it.  His Foggy Mountain Breakdown put Scruggs in the shade, and he played a couple of Asian instruments that he learned to play just because.  He was also a master pianist.

Sure helped morale when he decided to play.

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

12-string 'geet-tar' for me.   Ovation.

Can strum or finger pick.   My biggest hurdle is learning the name of the chords I play/pick.

..........Widder

Pick yourself up a Mel Bay Guitar chords book. It has illustrations of all the different chord positions.;)

Archived