SASS Wire Forum

Theme matches...

Roger Rapid

At the Pozo River Vigilance Committee (Santa Margarita, CA) we run several theme (team) matches each year. In January we do Bushy’s Diabolically Deranged Distance Deviations in which each stage features targets at different distances from “Bordertown close,” to SASS minimum, to SASS maximum, to darn far away, etc. In March we do a “James Gang” match with each team shooting outlaw style. Then, in July we do a “Custer’s Last Stand” match where each team attacks about 50 red and blue targets spread out and back up on the hill in our Eliminator Bay - with many of the targets being the swivel type that turn from red to blue - or vice versa - when hit and turned (the team with the most colors standing wins).  And, in October we do a “Gunfight at the OK Corral” match at our “Alright Corral” with shooters attacking reactive paper targets with pistol and shotgun only, but only shooting the pistols double- or single-dualist.

They’re all fun … but our last match on September 28th was super fun - and challenging! It was our first “Back to School” match created by PRVC member Gunpowder ’N Grace. G’NG is a school teacher and she hit it out of the park with six very clever scenarios, each of which related to a school class: Spanish, English, Math, Sports, Chemistry, and History. For example (see photo), it started with the English stage that featured four pistol targets painted with the letters S L O P, and five rifle targets with the letters M I S P. The scenario called for the shooter to spell “SLOOP” with the first five shots, and “POOLS” with the second five shots. Moving to the rifle window, the shooter had to load an extra round and spell “MISSISSIPPI.” And the day just got better from there, including a brain-testing sweep at the math stage, a chemistry formula sweep at the Chemistry stage, and a lot of movement from Position to Position at the Sports stage. Folks even got a report card. And, to top it off, Ruthless Rose provided desserts of Twinkies, DingDongs, and cupcakes! As to challenging, well out of 25-30 shooters, we usually have at least three or four who shoot clean, and receive our coveted clean-shoot Bison pin - everyone failed school and no one nailed a clean match! And, I must admit I really do know how to spell “MISSISSIPPI” but my rifle tried to spell it a different way this time! :wacko:

Wanted to share the idea and the fun (happy to share the scenarios if you’re interested.)

RR

BTS match.jpg

1 hour ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

This was a fun match.  The Spanish stage was even read in Spanish only because the posse didn't need it in English.  Good job Gunpowder N Grace.

Did Beto show up:D?

Those are really cool stages. She did a lot of work putting that together, and it sounds like it was very much appreciated.

That's a tough act to follow.

I was asked about the Chemistry stage: Gunpowder ’N Grace’s scenario calls for three P/R targets with letters “C” “H” and “O” on them. Stage starts with the TO asking “What prevents scurvy?” to which the shooter responds “Vitamin C - C6H8O6” - at the beep, shooter engages the three targets with pistols and rifle (in any order) in a 6, 8, 6 sweep starting on the left, then moves to shotgun targets.

RR

1 hour ago, Roger Rapid said:

I was asked about the Chemistry stage: Gunpowder ’N Grace’s scenario calls for three P/R targets with letters “C” “H” and “O” on them. Stage starts with the TO asking “What prevents scurvy?” to which the shooter responds “Vitamin C - C6H8O6” - at the beep, shooter engages the three targets with pistols and rifle (in any order) in a 6, 8, 6 sweep starting on the left, then moves to shotgun targets.

RR

Sounds fun enough, as long as I don't have to remember the formula for V-C. 

Archived