SASS Wire Forum

favorite suppliers for coated bullets?

heckofagator

hi all, going to start loading 38 special and 45 colt and would like to use coated bullets.

What are everyone's favorite suppliers?  I know Missouri Bullet is always a favorite.  Anyone else I should check out while shopping around?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too many good suppliers to list.  Your best bet is to find a local to you supplier and save on shipping.

I use Cimarron Bullets Excellent quality and he is local so I save on shipping.

I also prefer the softer bullets supplied by Missouri and Ringer. I get no leading in the barrels. Don't know if coated would also alleviate that in a hard cast bullet.

Alphabetically, suppliers that I've used and have only good things to say about: 

Bullets by Scarlett 

Chey-cast

Missouri bullets

Ringers (mine were not coated) 

Red River Bullets is in Salisbury NC - the folks there are active in CAS and they make a really good product.  

ACME Bullet Company is in Germantown Wisconsin - they make great stuff AND deliver it in a pretty neat little reusable wooden box. 

I have used 105 and 125 grain coated bullets from both places and have not been disappointed.

Quality-cast out of Roswell New Mexico makes great bullets for the BAMM rifles and 45acp.  They also have 38 etc. 

very well made accurate and absolutely zero leading.

Bayou bullets is also great bullets with great service.

I contacted a few manufacturers and was given this data:

• BHN= 9 Desperado Bullets (uncoated)
• BHN= 9 Ringer Bullets (Hi-Tek) by Special Order
• BHN=10 Big Lube Bullets, Outlaw Bullets, Stateline Bullets
• BHN=12 Missouri Bullets
• BHN=13 Bear Creek Supply
• BHN=14 Gallant Bullets
• BHN=16 Acme, Badman, Bayou, Chey-Cast, Scarlett, SNS, Stateline
• BHN=18 Falcon Bullets, Missouri Bullets
• BHN=19 Cast Performance
• BHN=24 Oregon Trail laser cast

• BHN= 9 is 11,518 psi
• BHN=10 is 12,798 psi
• BHN=12 is 15,358 psi
• BHN=13 is 16,637 psi
• BHN=14 is 17,917 psi
• BHN=16 is 20,477 psi
• BHN=18 is 23,036 psi
• BHN=19 is 24,316 psi
• BHN=24 is 30,715 psi

The Brinell Hardness Number has a direct correlation between the softness of a lead bullet vs the required cartridge pressure in PSI.

When the BHN is a match for the PSI, the lead bullet will obdurate (seal) effectively in the barrel.  This is the ideal condition for minimal barrel leading and blow-by.

We bought bullets from many casters at competitive prices and all had great service.  No complaints.  But we've been buying bullets from Missouri Bullet Company for the past several years. Great products at competitive prices and they support SASS (as does many others).  But I've had them help me out a couple of times.  

1426369497_MissouriBullet402Aug2019.jpg.3a65ad1c3252f65d34d524cbd1d20121.jpg

The latest was making me up a batch of 402 Hi-Tek bullets for my Marlin project gun. 

Bear Creek Supply has been making superior coated bullets since 1991. Check out the details: https://www.bearcreeksupplybullets.com/aboutourbullets

Their polymer/moly coating makes a measurable difference in friction reduction as the bullet passes through the barrel, and after hundreds of rounds there is no lead buildup. They also seem to feed better in my rifles and keep everything cleaner and lead-free when reloading.

They have some great quantity discounts and will ship for free if you order over $130 of bullets. I've been to their manufacturing facility, amazing Made-in- the-USA operation with many custom built machines. Steve is a hard-working and innovative guy who aims to please, and he loves Cowboy Action Shooters!

5 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Scarlett Darlin', of course. She's in So Carolina.

https://bulletsbyscarlett.com

And if ya get em in person, ya get a hug too!

She's a sweetheart

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

As for 'coated' bullets, I've only used those by Scarlett......comes with a hug... :wub:

..........Widder

Bullets by Scarlett

Red River Bullets 

I bet Red River Ray would give you a hug too. 

Randy

47 minutes ago, Grizzly Dave said:

I use Ringers bullets.

My postal carrier is going to hate me.

My carrier already hates me, and for that reason.
1 USPS flat rate box from Missouri, 2 flat rate boxes from Ringer.
He did a special order for me, 0.358, 105gr, LTCFP, Hi-Tek, BHN=9.

I've been using S-N-S Casting, as one of our club members use to make a annual trip up there.  We would get together and make a large order.  When I need more I will stay with S-N-S as they work well in all of our guns. 

I'm a Cimarron fan.  Colorado Jackson will deliver to most any match he attends, especially locals around Dallas area..

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

I contacted a few manufacturers and was given this data:

• BHN= 9 Desperado Bullets (uncoated)
• BHN= 9 Ringer Bullets (Hi-Tek) by Special Order
• BHN=10 Big Lube Bullets, Outlaw Bullets, Stateline Bullets
• BHN=12 Missouri Bullets
• BHN=13 Bear Creek Supply
• BHN=14 Gallant Bullets
• BHN=16 Acme, Badman, Bayou, Chey-Cast, Scarlett, SNS, Stateline
• BHN=18 Falcon Bullets, Missouri Bullets
• BHN=19 Cast Performance
• BHN=24 Oregon Trail laser cast

• BHN= 9 is 11,518 psi
• BHN=10 is 12,798 psi
• BHN=12 is 15,358 psi
• BHN=13 is 16,637 psi
• BHN=14 is 17,917 psi
• BHN=16 is 20,477 psi
• BHN=18 is 23,036 psi
• BHN=19 is 24,316 psi
• BHN=24 is 30,715 psi

The Brinell Hardness Number has a direct correlation between the softness of a lead bullet vs the required cartridge pressure in PSI.

When the BHN is a match for the PSI, the lead bullet will obdurate (seal) effectively in the barrel.  This is the ideal condition for minimal barrel leading and blow-by.

And???

7 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

And???

Not getting into the obturation - I've noticed that harder lead bullets that are then coated with Hy-Tek - type coatings ricochet a lot more than non-coated or softer lead-coated bullets.

Check with Scarlett to see if she has any more of those special 'magnetic' bullets.

They help me ring the steel all the time....atleast all the time I point my sights correctly..... ;)

..........Widder

I use "B's Bullets" out of Chino Valley Arizona.

Good quality hi-tek coated bullets from a local Cowboy/Wild Bunch shooter and good friend, The Butcher.

1 hour ago, Chief Rick said:

Not getting into the obturation - I've noticed that harder lead bullets that are then coated with Hy-Tek - type coatings ricochet a lot more than non-coated or softer lead-coated bullets.

Good ta know

10 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Too many good suppliers to list.  Your best bet is to find a local to you supplier and save on shipping.

I use Cimarron Bullets Excellent quality and he is local so I save on shipping.

I just received 3500. Free shipping.

Archived