SASS Wire Forum

Crazy Horse Monument

Yul Lose

When I was a little kid, 8 years old, in 1961 we visited the Black Hills of South Dakota on a family vacation. I remember Mt. Rushmore, the Wind Caves, the Reptile Gardens but what I remembered the most about the trip was the Crazy Horse monument being carved out of a granite mountain, over the last 50 odd years I’ve returned for visits and have always been amazed at the progress made. I doubt that it will be completed in my lifetime but future generations will be able to marvel at the dedication and sacrifice that it took to sculpt it. The last time I was there we came out of the museum/cafe and there was a mountain goat standing beside my pickup.

355D9E6D-EB61-4E86-8AE6-72A49B1F69CE.jpeg

8F15C2F1-108D-4F0F-A7D0-DE902B491A3F.jpeg

9E538B10-51B2-46A1-B3F5-FCDFEB3FDC16.jpeg

It still doesn't look much different to me since when I was a kid. I fear that erosion will start to take its toll long before they actually finish it. At the same time however I'm with those who feel that carving statues out of those beautiful, sacred mountains was sacrilegious to begin with. And yes I'm talking about Mount Rushmore as well.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

It still doesn't look much different to me since when I was a kid. I fear that erosion will start to take its toll long before they actually finish it. At the same time however I'm with those who feel that carving statues out of those beautiful, sacred mountains was sacrilegious to begin with. And yes I'm talking about Mount Rushmore as well.

Every time I visit it I see progress. Sacred to who? The Indians wanted Crazy Horse monument. 

If I recall correctly there was a brouhaha among the Lakota over Henry Standing Bear's decision to have the memorial built. Not everyone was happy with the idea of taking dynamite to a mountain to honor a man who refused to be photographed and was buried where he could never be found. But it's good that there is visible progress at the site. It'll probably never be finished in my lifetime either, but at least my impression that the work had remained stagnant for decades was wrong.

8 minutes ago, Fence Cutter said:

Rushmore or Crazy Horse Monument......

I always felt they should fall in the category of defacing public property

Crazy Horse monument is on private property.

If the images are recent, it hasn't made much progress since 2002. But, they refuse to take US Government funds and rely of entrance fees to keep going. As far as weathering, the Black Hills are granite and unlike limestone, take millions of years to weather away

27 minutes ago, Cholla said:

If the images are recent, it hasn't made much progress since 2002. But, they refuse to take US Government funds and rely of entrance fees to keep going. As far as weathering, the Black Hills are granite and unlike limestone, take millions of years to weather away

I guess I have to disagree. The arm and horse head are taking shape which they weren’t about 6 years ago. I’ve been told by some workers there that it will take another 40-50 years to completely finish the monument. When I firs5 visited in 1961 all that you could see was the top of his head and forehead. If they were carving wood they’d be done by now. If they would accept government assistance it might speed things up but might screw the whole thing up too.

Archived