SASS Wire Forum

A touch of history for today

Too Tall Bob

On this day in 1908 -

Henry Ford introduced the Model T Ford automobile in October 1908, the world's first mass produced car. In producing an automobile for the middle classes instead of just for the wealthy, Henry Ford help change American society forever.  The lives of teen agers, gangsters, moonshiners and cowboys were changed forever!!

35 minutes ago, Too Tall Bob said:

On this day in 1908 -

Henry Ford introduced the Model T Ford automobile in October 1908, the world's first mass produced car. In producing an automobile for the middle classes instead of just for the wealthy, Henry Ford help change American society forever.  The lives of teen agers, gangsters, moonshiners and cowboys were changed forever!!

And the police who had to chase them....

Also on this day in history:

1949: Mao Zedong proclaims the birth of the People's Republic of China outside Tiananmen Square.

2017: A certain A-hole who shall not be named opens fire on a concert crowd in Las Vegas, Nevada killing dozens and injuring hundreds.

35 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Henry Ford designed his cars to inhibit teenagers.  He didn’t believe in drinking, smoking, or premarital.

How'd that work out? :lol:

41 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Henry Ford designed his cars to inhibit teenagers.  He didn’t believe in drinking, smoking, or premarital.

How so?:unsure:

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:
 sassnetguy50 said:

Rye replies:

I would respectfully submit that ol' Henry figured if a lad had a car, his money would go into keeping the Skunk Buggy running:  if he poured his money into a set of wheels, he'd have nothing left over with which to guzzle and fry his gut, with which to smoke his lungs, and with which to chase the ladies!

This was, of course, his theory, and a theory must be proven, or disproven.

Rye's incisive comment correctly infers that history has answered his question!

(Kind of like Mother Teresa's pithy observation, "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans!")

1 minute ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Very well, Ford didn’t need the bailout that GM and Chrysler did a few years back.  The company has been around for over a century.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure he didn't inhibit many teenagers... I have fond memories of my 1970 Ford Mustang and... Well... Being a teenager...

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Henry did not drink or smoke, it is well documented that he preferred employees to be the same.  It was a measure of work ethic, no hangovers or wasted nights partying.

There was something about a seat redesign that Mr. Ford ordered so it would be less conducive for teens to move from the hay to the car.  

15 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Henry did not drink or smoke, it is well documented that he preferred employees to be the same.  It was a measure of work ethic, no hangovers or wasted nights partying.

There was something about a seat redesign that Mr. Ford ordered so it would be less conducive for teens to move from the hay to the car.  

I don’t think there’s a seat design that anyone could come up with to hinder a nimble teenager from doing what they want! 

The Ford Model T, built from October 1908 through 1927, was available in colors other than black in its first five and its last two years of production. The available colors were green, bright red, dark blue, brown, maroon and gray. From 1914 through 1925 Ford produced only black cars.

They had color choices. 14 thru 25 Ford decided the faster drying black paint increased production. SO only black those years.

Ike

44 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I don’t think there’s a seat design that anyone could come up with to hinder a nimble teenager from doing what they want! 

Dunno, had I been a dad back then I might have custom-ordered something like this:

332.jpg

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure he didn't inhibit many teenagers... I have fond memories of my 1970 Ford Mustang and... Well... Being a teenager...

A '57 DeSoto station wagon was..............................well never mind.  :o  :D

Well Henry's foray into dictating morality cost him  a fortune. (In 2018 dollars it would add up to over a Billion ) To top it off, not one ounce of rubber ever made it into even one of his automobiles..

Fordlândia

“Fordlandia: The Rise and Fall of Henry Ford’s Forgotten Jungle City”

Archived