SASS Wire Forum

Chronicle print editions reduced to twice a year in 2020

Captain Clark

8 hours ago, Grass Range said:

Charge more for the print version. I assume all members do not have computers or other ways to read the Chronicle electronically. I like to read who won what where but the comments about how the weather was at a match are meaningless.

A better option would be to allow members to chose digital delivery over USPS. if you charge more for a print version there will be those saying that SASS is wrongly singling them out and stealing their hard earned money. And the less that is printed, the more it costs to print per copy.

Allow folks to opt out of printed versions and SASS can save money while keeping those that want a hard copy happy. The NRA does this. I prefer digital magazines because I can save them on my hard drive for future reference. Paper versions take up shelf or closet space to the point I get frustrated and recycle them.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:39 PM, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

Yes.  My hometown paper, The Daily Independent, is now published three days a week.

While the Denver Post still publishes print editions seven days-a-week, the size of the paper has shrunk considerably.  Worse for me, home delivery, in a major suburb,  became so spotty, finally reducing altogether in spite of repeated calls to their customer service department, and repeated promises that the problem would be fixed.  I like to read the paper at breakfast.  But after five contacts and no results, I finally threw in the towel and cancelled my subscription.  I can pick up the paper at a local grocery store, for $2 a copy on weekdays and $3 on the weekends,  but that means driving up and back a mile before breakfast, or just forgetting the whole thing that day if I get busy!  Yes, I can subscribe to an on-line version which shows the complete image of the paper.  But my confuser is not located anywhere near the breakfast table!  I rather suspect, the print edition will go the way of the pterosaur.  That would be really bad, as our dogs use the paper for their business when the weather is too nasty for them to go out!  :( 

8 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

So since I won't be getting but two magazines a year, do the member fees go down now?

Your fees or annual dues do not, are not supposed to, pay for the CC, the advertisers are supposed to pay for the CC. The advertisers have dried up due to lack of interest in CAS or low market share. 

Considering the CC is or was the only marketing tool available to the members I'm at a loss. Everyone talks about the social media marketing influx, just where is it?

It doesn't pop up when I turn on my computer or phone. One must look for this stuff and that is great for current members, those that have never heard of CAS will never hear of it due to lack of connecting the algorithms together. Just who is in charge of this social media blitz that is desperately needed. 

I really prefer magazine over "download", but I do understand the financial issue.  From my experience (former investor and Associate Editor/write of SHOOT! Magazine), I know the crunch of advertisers versus price of printing a "first class" publication, it certainly took us out.  Just as long as SASS can stay afloat I can live with new plan.

Just wondering if it would be cheaper to go to a paper type publication (like a newspaper) instead of a glossy magazine. You could do a Annual Glossy Magazine once a year and then a few newspaper editions thru out the year or just all newspaper editions. Newspaper ones could be set up to look like old western newspapers. Could also do online versions worked in also. As a relatively new member I look forward to the CC, it is put together well but I understand the cost and time issues involved. Another option (please don't kill the messenger) would be to open up the ads to non Cowboy Action companies. If any of you get the VFW magazine you know what I am talking about.  I don't mind passing over ads for hearing aids and "blue pills" if it gets me a cool magazine to read. 

On 10/6/2019 at 9:24 AM, Hangem Hank said:

Just wondering if it would be cheaper to go to a paper type publication (like a newspaper) instead of a glossy magazine. You could do a Annual Glossy Magazine once a year and then a few newspaper editions thru out the year or just all newspaper editions. Newspaper ones could be set up to look like old western newspapers. Could also do online versions worked in also. As a relatively new member I look forward to the CC, it is put together well but I understand the cost and time issues involved. Another option (please don't kill the messenger) would be to open up the ads to non Cowboy Action companies. If any of you get the VFW magazine you know what I am talking about.  I don't mind passing over ads for hearing aids and "blue pills" if it gets me a cool magazine to read. 

I agree 100%!!

On 10/6/2019 at 8:24 AM, Hangem Hank said:

The Chronicle was originally a newspaper and became too expensive to send out, so I doubt we'd go back to that.

Cowboy Fast Draw has gone to aan inexpensive newspaper type format. I have found that quite a few of the clubs where I competed have kept shooting but have left SASS. I was our club's rep but had heart issues and must have missed something because we were dropped. Sadly, there has been little demand to rejoin. As a Life Member, I still travel but have to have special knowledge of clubs because they are no longer listed in the Chronicle.

Another point is I donated to several SASS entities but, outside of Founders Ranch, I have been ignored for over a decade. I fear for the future.

Well,

Several folks with alternative ideas but a definite lack of concrete figures as to whether or not they are viable options. I'll wager that the SASS Board of Directors & SASS Staff have looked at various options before making their decision. I can live with the digital versions and two published editions. Thanks to those who keep the ship afloat.

Muchas Gracias, Keystone

Received my CC in today's mail.  Electronic version is also going to twice a year too.  Did I read that correctly?

10 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

The Chronicle was originally a newspaper and became too expensive to send out, so I doubt we'd go back to that.

It became too expensive because it was every month, if they go to paper quarterly there’s no way it would cost more I wouldn’t think anyway!

14 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Received my CC in today's mail.  Electronic version is also going to twice a year too.  Did I red that correctly?

That is correct. Quarterly magazine, two of them electronic, and two in print

Archived