SASS Wire Forum

Chronicle print editions reduced to twice a year in 2020

Captain Clark

The October Chronicle has some sobering announcements from Misty and Skinny regarding the future of the Chronicle and reasons for its impending reduction to 2 print editions starting in 2020. It's a shame that the Chronicle is heading the way it's described in the editors column. I know that it's highly unlikely we will ever again attempt to submit anything for inclusion in the print or digital version after patiently waiting for over a year for an annual match report to be published .... Which never happened! 

It was a waste of time and resources on our part to attempt and contribute unsuccessfully , yet to continually see subjects rehashed multiple times by the same contributors.  It was the Chronicle that first drew me to the game a decade ago, and now that seems to be a bygone era. 

Rest in Peace old friend... Cowboy Chronicle

It was finding a Chronicle on an office table that brought me to the sport as well. Don't read it much anymore since it went digital. Miss having next to my recliner.

Ahh...the good old days of reading the old paper chronicle with a cup of coffee. It was chock full of great stuff, I don't read it anymore online and I'm disappointed when the magazine version comes.

I too miss the "old" chronicle,, but alas, times are changing,  costs have skyrocketed, newspapers are shutting down regularly.   I miss the olden days,,, sigh

but, SASS is still afloat and I'd rather be shooting than reading about it anyway.   Yes, it's a shame, but it is what it is..............

I guess we could be getting daily calls from SASS wanting donatioins from outside solicitors,, naw  no thanks 

Misty and Skinny laid it out pretty well and then after looking through the October issue I could see that they are 100% correct. The Chronicle doesn’t have much of an advertising base anymore. 

LOVED the old "newspaper" versions and still like the magazines. Sad to hear we'll be getting less of them.

Just something missing with the digital version. I know you can get more packed in there but I'm tactile so...

Maybe they need to put more effort into getting advertisers. Other organizations I belong to charge half as much in dues and have a monthly mag that with nice shiny thick paper that is usually about 80+ pages. Although loaded with advertising pertinent to the sport. Who knows, but as said above, at least we still get to play!

40 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Maybe they need to put more effort into getting advertisers. Other organizations I belong to charge half as much in dues and have a monthly mag that with nice shiny thick paper that is usually about 80+ pages. Although loaded with advertising pertinent to the sport. IWho knows, but as said above, at least we still get to play!

Yep, the NRA has about 4 million members or so and puts out a nice magazine. If SASS had 4 million members they could probably do it also. I get a quarterly woodworking magazine that is almost all advertising and very little else so I didn’t renew my subscription.

"The new schedule will bring a printed issue to your door in January and July of each year, and a digital issue to your email inbox in April and October. SASS will proudly contin- ue to publish The Cowboy Chronicle, focusing on the quality and content of each issue, ensuring a future where The Cowboy Chronicle will continue to make its way into every SASS member mailbox (and inbox) for many years to come."

Are the digital versions also being reduced to only twice a year, or is this referencing only the change in 2 print issues going digital-only? In other words, will there be 10 digital issues per year or 2?

8 minutes ago, Houston CAS said:

Are the digital versions also being reduced to only twice a year, or is this referencing only the change in 2 print issues going digital-only? In other words, will there be 10 digital issues per year or 2?

All 4 issues will still be provided digitally. 

Misty Moonshine

26 minutes ago, Misty Moonshine said:

All 4 issues will still be provided digitally. 

Misty Moonshine

Thank you Misty!  The Digital issues are quite nice.  Yes, I look forward to the print editions, "but times they are a-changin'".  

Print media is expensive, and all the content is available on my monitor screen while I sip my morning coffee.  

I appreciate all the effort you've put in to keep this ship afloat and headed in the right direction!

It would be useful to the membership, Misty, to NOT use abbreviated replies and topic postings, but instead, to carry on complete informative dialogue with the membership here in the Forums.....conversation.....back and forth......discussion.

For instance, why not (if the annual issue count is going to be cut) go to three issues per year instead of 2?   Why not explain the rationale in depth, of such decisions?   I believe it’s a mistake for SASS to isolate itself from the membership by cutting its organ of communication with the membership.  There’s a lot that can be done without doing that.  You’re dealing with a lot of people who are not comfortable with an online Magazine and a Magazine that is losing touch with its membership.  That’s my view, anyway.

EDIT:   DESPITE the glowing accolades from some.

Cat Brules

14 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

For instance, why not (if the annual issue count is going to be cut) go to three issues per year instead of 2?   Why not explain the rationale in depth, of such decisions?  

Pretty much think Misty and Skinny did...  Have you read the October issue?

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Misty and Skinny laid it out pretty well and then after looking through the October issue I could see that they are 100% correct. The Chronicle doesn’t have much of an advertising base anymore. 

7 minutes ago, McCandless said:

Thank you Misty!  The Digital issues are quite nice.  Yes, I look forward to the print editions, "but times they are a-changin'".  

Print media is expensive, and all the content is available on my monitor screen while I sip my morning coffee.  

I appreciate all the effort you've put in to keep this ship afloat and headed in the right direction!

My disappointment is not with those making the effort to keep the Chronicle viable, but is with the outcome we face today. The economics of publishing have been explained before when the "original" format was discontinued.  I tried my hand at contributing to the Chronicles content, but perhaps it has been a, too little- too late scenario! I'll admit that print media marketing is not my expertise, guess insightful reporting isn't on that list either:(

45 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

It would be useful to the membership, Misty, to NOT use abbreviated replies and topic postings, but instead, to carry on complete informative dialogue with the membership here in the Forums.....conversation.....back and forth......discussion.

For instance, why not (if the annual issue count is going to be cut) go to three issues per year instead of 2?   Why not explain the rationale in depth, of such decisions?   I believe it’s a mistake for SASS to isolate itself from the membership by cutting its organ of communication with the membership.  There’s a lot that can be done without doing that.  You’re dealing with a lot of people who are not comfortable with an online Magazine and a Magazine that is losing touch with its membership.  That’s my view, anyway.

Cat Brules

Read the editorial in the Chronicle.

2 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

I tried my hand at contributing to the Chronicles content, but perhaps it has been a, too little- too late scenario! I'll admit that print media marketing is not my expertise, guess insightful reporting isn't on that list either:(

Cap'n,

Perhaps you should talk to Skinny and ask why your articles didn't make the Chronicle.   You can post complaints on here, but that doesn't achieve anything.   Getting answers directly from the editor might give you an idea why, and what he might be looking for.

54 minutes ago, McCandless said:

Cap'n,

Perhaps you should talk to Skinny and ask why your articles didn't make the Chronicle.   You can post complaints on here, but that doesn't achieve anything.   Getting answers directly from the editor might give you an idea why, and what he might be looking for.

The article in the Chronicle said that with the limited space in the print magazine, they were not able to get them all in, but with the online version they do not have the same space limitations, so they can expand those editions so they can print them all

Demographically SASS members are older, they own their gear, many seem to buy from other members or trade within their own circles, few people “need” anything for our sport. We are just not a great target audience for most advertisers.  My guess is that some of the advertisers do it to support SASS.

As we die off, the pool of new shooters will grow far smaller.  It’s just not what younger people do.

So, it is hardly surprising that advertisers take their dollars elsewhere.

6 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Maybe they need to put more effort into getting advertisers. Other organizations I belong to charge half as much in dues and have a monthly mag that with nice shiny thick paper that is usually about 80+ pages. Although loaded with advertising pertinent to the sport. Who knows, but as said above, at least we still get to play!

Then some cowpokes would have the complaint, " Nothing in it but ads..."

12 minutes ago, Desert Pete SASS #42168 said:

Demographically SASS members are older, they own their gear, many seem to buy from other members or trade within their own circles, few people “need” anything for our sport. We are just not a great target audience for most advertisers.  My guess is that some of the advertisers do it to support SASS.

As we die off, the pool of new shooters will grow far smaller.  It’s just not what younger people do.

So, it is hardly surprising that advertisers take their dollars elsewhere.

I won't argue that "older" (a very subjective term) persons make up a larger percentage (also subjective) of SASS, the younger demographic is certainly present. Also, that younger demographic has not always been brought up in CAS.

I prefer the paper Chronicle and I dislike Facebook. 

With that said, most magazines have at least gone to a digital option, just like books. 

And like it or not, Facebook is about the best method of targeting and gaining younger members. McCandless' FB pages have a very high viewing rate and a lot of people are showing off their cowboy gear or show interest in getting their own. Whether they join SASS is another discussion, but we have to get them to the range first. 

Our local newspaper is smaller in size with fewer pages.  Printed format is going the same way as the United States Postal Service.

At least they brought it back and gave it a try. Something the members were asking. Thanks Misty for doing such a great job!

One thing to bear in mind is the shipping costs for the magazine is not cheap. A friend in a larger city works in the shipping department of a pretty good sized magazine with a thickness similar to our Chronicle. They pay about 40 cents per copy to mail. No clue what SASS pays for shipping but assuming it is similar, and assuming they are mailing 20,000 copies out, shipping alone would be about $8000. Dropping to two from four saves about $16,000 per year, out the equivalent of about 246 renewal memberships. Not counting the printing costs of the additional magazines. Now, my numbers may be way off, as the number sent out is a guess, and I do not know what their shipping costs are (I was just comparing it to what a similar sized magazine pays)

3 hours ago, McCandless said:

Cap'n,

The article submitted was correct in length, structure, photography, captioning, subject, content, etc. The product was solid and on point!

I wil assure you that Skinny and I have exchanged emails and phone calls on the subject for the past year! My observation wasn't so much a complaint, but disappointment with what transpired over that time. I hope that are contributors in the future that will step up to fill all that glorious digital space with content going forward. I choose to move forward from here and wish them well.

20 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Cat Brules

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking for. Misty has been the most transparent CEO we really could ask for. You are on a internet forum owned by the organization that you consistently complain about yet offer no real solutions other than thinly veiled attempts to discredit SASS. You are using the very format that is responsible for periodicals going by the wayside and advertisers using their budgets differently. I joined when the big paper chronicle was still king. It was fun, it was informative...now Facebook and Instagram fill that need for a large portion of the folks out there. I'm glad to see that SASS knows when money is NOT best spent. Thank you Misty!

It’s understandable just disappointing we all seem to have a fondness of reading the printed version over a digital version. I think it’s just more comforting to read and what most of us have grown up with. Remember you can print it out at home and staple it together. That may not be exactly the same but business is business and they have to do  what they have to do to stay in business. 

On 10/1/2019 at 1:38 PM, Matthew Duncan said:

Our local newspaper is smaller in size with fewer pages.  Printed format is going the same way as the United States Postal Service.

Yes.  My hometown paper, The Daily Independent, is now published three days a week.

1 hour ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

Yes.  My hometown paper, The Daily Independent, is now published three days a week.

My hometown newspaper, The North County Times isn’t published anymore at all. 

Reading it The Chronicle on the wire is a-ok in my book. It's very expensive and I have them new style books collecting dust. When I want to check back on a certain item I just  go to the wire. I don't need a copy mailed to me cause it is a big waste of money. Just skip mailing it to me Misty.

Look here Misty you just keep up the great work your doing cause I sure as heck appreciate all which you have done. And of course I 'll add Skinny my old pelican friend along with all that he  has  done for SASS..  Add to it some other folks at SASS Hq's and thanks to them also.

With all due respect:

Jackrabbit Joe & Sly Puppy

In reality, younger generations get most if not all of their reading material in e-format from websites, blogs, social media, e-zines, etc. So, if the argument is to attract younger generations sending out information via social media or an email list if the way to go. It's old farts like us that like to have a print version to take to the john or easy chair.

And as some have said, e-newsletters cost nothing to send and can be unlimited in size. Like it or not printed media is going the way of the buggy whip.

My local rag, The Cleveland Plain Dealer prints everyday but cut down delivery to 4 days. I cancelled, it's a liberal crap of a paper anyway! I get the news on my phone and TV.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My local rag, The Cleveland Plain Dealer prints everyday but cut down delivery to 4 days. I cancelled, it's a liberal crap of a paper anyway! I get the news on my phone and TV.

Yeah but you pitch a fit when SASS has to cut back. Make up your freaking mind!!!

Charge more for the print version. I assume all members do not have computers or other ways to read the Chronicle electronically. I like to read who won what where but the comments about how the weather was at a match are meaningless.

Archived