SASS Wire Forum

Model 12 cutting barrel

Cut it long, then adjust it as you see fit. My main match is a 20" and my back up is 19", 20-22" would be my recommendation. If you shoot a 97' the balance will feel different or at least it did for me. A little more length on the barrel will help that.

At this moment there are no titanium firing pins available that I'm aware of. They had been produced, but it's been a few years since then.

Wild Bodie Tom's widow is selling the spring kits, PM me and I'll put you in contact with her if you're interested.

Tully

P.S. the "spring kits" are the magazine spring and new follower.

I have a 30” barrel on my M12.  Unless you have a bunch of “indoor” props to navigate, I prefer the 30” barrel for WB shooting.  My M97s have 20” barrels and I like them to support less weight when moving the gun to support loading on the clock in Cowboy Action.  I haven’t ran across too much loading the M12 on the clock in WB.  Shoot it w/o the barrel chop and see what you like.

1 hour ago, Tucker McNeely said:

I have a 30” barrel on my M12.  Unless you have a bunch of “indoor” props to navigate, I prefer the 30” barrel for WB shooting.  My M97s have 20” barrels and I like them to support less weight when moving the gun to support loading on the clock in Cowboy Action.  I haven’t ran across too much loading the M12 on the clock in WB.  Shoot it w/o the barrel chop and see what you like.

Come to my Wild Bunch matches. You’ll load on the clock!

I have been using a 30" full choke 97 for both Cowboy and Wild Bunch for years.   If I ever get a model 12, I'd want the long barrel for that as well.

When I first started out, I was using a 20" 97, and I liked it.  I wanted to have a long barreled one, just to have one.  Once I got one, I decided to shoot a match with it, just for fun.

Well, I quickly discovered that I pretty much never miss or fail to knock down a shotgun target with the longer barrel, something that I did do on occasion with the shorter tube.   I also discovered that the longer barrel has less recoil.  My guess is that the extra weight absorbs more of it.  (Not that there was much to begin with, but I do notice a difference.)   As far as getting around props and stuff, it's not really difficult as long as you are paying attention to what you are doing, which you should be doing anyway.

In other words, try the long barrel.   You just might like it.    If you are set on a short barreled 12, (or 97) find one that's already short.   Cutting the barrel is a modification that can't be undone.   And, it gives you an excuse to get another shotgun.   Over time, you will find that there are times when you want the short, and at times the long barrel.   You've already got the long.    Find an existing short.  :)

24" is where I would start, you can always make it shorter. Take into account moving in and out of prop windows. I agree with the KOOL factor mentioned above of the shorter barrels, but the M12 is light in the front, extra weight helps to stay on target when pumping fast.

I have no problem with my 20", but I have weight in the mag tube, without it I come off target. Start long, then shorten it, don't add a bead until your happy.

I would also suggest asking this question on the WB wire.

Archived