SASS Wire Forum

metal polisher advice

Thinking I would like an economical belt style sander for polishing small metal parts and especially taking grinder marks from flat springs I might decide to lighten.

Advice appreciated.   

My guess is you would not be using it a whole lot.  Therefore I would get an inexpensive one for (likely) ~$70 from someplace like Harbor Freight (or on-line)

and buy an appropriate polishing belt (or belts) to replace the abrasive belt that (likely) comes with it.  But, go check it out; often, a very small gadget is a lot better than a larger one. 

Cat Brules

1 hour ago, Cat Brules said:

My guess is you would not be using it a whole lot.  Therefore I would get an inexpensive one for (likely) ~$70 from someplace like Harbor Freight (or on-line)

and buy an appropriate polishing belt (or belts) to replace the abrasive belt that (likely) comes with it.  But, go check it out; often, a very small gadget is a lot better than a larger one. 

Cat Brules

What I am thinking. Thanks Cat

1 hour ago, Lead Poison Lar said:

Harbor Freight has a small belt sander that works well. I bought some 1000-3000 grit belts from Amazon that really do a very good job at polishing metal parts.. You can also use a leather belt with polish compoud that Amazon also sells.

HF was where i thought would be good, or Amazon

Thanks

1 hour ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

Got a bench grinder, Billy? Look at deburring wheels from Grainger or MSC. They’ll go on your grinder and do a great job.

Boggus, all I have is 4 1/2" but I will look into that.  That way I would not have to find the extra space for belt sander.  Lassiter suggested I polish off some of the grind marks I had on my FA flat springs.  I know that good advice.  What wheels you recommend (grind)?

17 minutes ago, Flash said:

I have one of these and it sharpens things too. https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Work-Sharp-Ken-Onion-Edition-Knife-Sharpener-P505C68.aspx

Actually you can make knives with it too if you want. With this attachment. https://www.worksharptools.com/product/elite-knife-sharpener/

Now that looks real handy Flash.

bb

4 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Boggus, all I have is 4 1/2" but I will look into that.  That way I would not have to find the extra space for belt sander.  Lassiter suggested I polish off some of the grind marks I had on my FA flat springs.  I know that good advice.  What wheels you recommend (grind)?

Let me go look at the website closer.

6 minutes ago, Beartrap SASS#57175 said:

Billy, Dremmel makes some little polishing wheels in course, med and fine that work really well for deburring and polishing small parts like springs. They look kind of like the scotchbrite stuff.

That is what I have been using.  Works pretty good but thought I might make a step up.

13 minutes ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

Let me go look at the website closer.

Sent you an e-mail with more details to my vintage Manning-Bowman Model 715001 grinder with 4.5" wheels.

6 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Thinking I would like an economical belt style sander for polishing small metal parts and especially taking grinder marks from flat springs I might decide to lighten.

Advice appreciated.   

Polishing small metal parts is likely to be pretty difficult on a belt.  Jewelers have a lot of different polishing tools, including many on Dremel-like shafts.   I suggest before spending too much, take a look at the polishing tools and expendables on Riogrande. Com.  

I use a LOT of Cratex bobs, wheels and bullet points on my Dremel. A couple of different grits make things right shiny!

I too, hope to upgrade and want to get into something like a Foredom tool. Good luck Billy.

You can never have too many tools, ya know

Check this out: https://www.cratex.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies

2 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

I use a LOT of Cratex bobs, wheels and bullet points on my Dremel. A couple of different grits make things right shiny!

I too, hope to upgrade and want to get into something like a Foredom tool. Good luck Billy.

You can never have too many tools, ya know

Check this out: https://www.cratex.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies

R, you are right about tools...much like guns, never to many.

I have a box of the four grits of Cratex attachments and really like them for Dremel.

7 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Polishing small metal parts is likely to be pretty difficult on a belt.  Jewelers have a lot of different polishing tools, including many on Dremel-like shafts.   I suggest before spending too much, take a look at the polishing tools and expendables on Riogrande. Com.  

I am thinking belt or  wheel on grinder will be better working surface for polishing down the sides of flat main springs such as those on my FAs (like Colts)

1 hour ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

I am thinking belt or  wheel on grinder will be better working surface for polishing down the sides of flat main springs such as those on my FAs (like Colts)

Maybe so.  The small Dremel or Fordham driven disc sanders with snap-on replaceable pads (1" diameter) have worked well for me, but there are a lot of ways to peel an onion.  Watch out for heat, in using larger belts or wheels.  Small, and even large parts can easily reach annealing or discoloration heat from friction.  Keep in mind that a belt moving on a 2-1/2" diameter wheel at 1750 RPM is moving at nearly 14,000 inches/minute, without lubricant.  That can create a lot of heat.  

I'll look forward to seeing pics of your finished work. 

58 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

R, you are right about tools...much like guns, never to many.

I have a box of the four grits of Cratex attachments and really like them for Dremel.

BB, those Cratex 6" wheels on a bench grinder may be the ticket. I don't know if you scrolled down that far on their page.

I didn't even know they made em. Great, now I gotta go buy a bench grinder... heh, heh, heh... ;)

5 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

BB, those Cratex 6" wheels on a bench grinder may be the ticket. I don't know if you scrolled down that far on their page.

I didn't even know they made em. Great, now I gotta go buy a bench grinder... heh, heh, heh... ;)

I am now thinking my investment should be in a new 6" bench grinder with appropriate wheels (which could be another " can of worms") rather than a belt tool.  

My vintage grinder has been for coarse grinding along with Dremel.  4.5" wheels do not seem to be popular so going to 6-8" machine my be in the cards.   I often place Dremel in vise and work parts across it but surface is small and I usually go thru Dremel & Cradex attachments pretty easy.  Dremel does work fine with Cradex attachments for small parts (cutting & polishing  lever locks, etc).

Now just to keep things in my budget.

13 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Sent you an e-mail with more details to my vintage Manning-Bowman Model 715001 grinder with 4.5" wheels.

Before buying a grinder, take a look at the quick change spindles on the Riogrande website.  They are sold in sets, left and right, with opposite screws.  You just turn on the motor, hold any size buffing wheel or other attachment against the tip, and it spins on instantly.  You can change sizes of buff from 1" to 8" dia, or change buffs for each polishing grit, with no tools.  It's the polishing system jewelers and artistic metalsmiths have used for decades. 

20191001_071231.jpg

20191001_071249.jpg

Archived