SASS Wire Forum

Mystery Solved: Can You Identify this Item?

RidgwayPlinker

Howdy,

I recently acquired a Lee Turret Press that came with a lot of extras - some of which I cannot identify.  Mounted in spare tool heads were six precision-machined devices, each having  a tightly toleranced cylindrical bore and matching "piston".  The "piston" is concave on the bottom, making the edge sharp, in a way similar to a paper punch.  "Piston" diameters are .330, .400, .430, .450, .460 and .515 in.  Each is stamped with the letters CSA, then a space and then the letters FC.  Using the same order as the diameters, each is further marked (respectively) as follows:  01, 02, 99, 99, 06, 00.  I've attached a photo of these items - one together, one with the pieces separated and four together in a tool head.

One theory is that they are black powder compression die but, based on the bore diameters and the limited stroke that each "piston" has, this theory is dubious.  It seems a shame for these to go unused simply because I cannot identify them.

Does anyone have an idea as to what they are?

Thanks for reading and sharing any ideas that you may have.

mystery.jpg

9 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Could they possibly be wad punches?

If you inserted the punch from the other end they appear to be a precision circular cutter that uses the press ram to operate the cutter. The material to be cut is inserted through the slot and the ram pushes the punch up through the material.

Is there a part resembling a shell holder that fits the rim on the end of the punch?

Maybe the pistons actually go in the other end of the die - will they slide into a reloader ram like a shell holder will? They look very much like the stem on the Redding G-RX push-through resizing die for .40 S&W/10mm/.357 Sig. Not that that's what they are, but the pistons look like they'd fit that way.

10 minutes ago, Indy Kid, SASS #4638 said:

Happy Jack and Marshal Hangtree together have it. https://www.buffaloarms.com/reloading-supplies-accessories/wad-punches

Indy

Well I'll be danged!  I guessed lucky this time!  Thanks, Indy Kid.

Archived