SASS Wire Forum

Steoger coach gun help...

Croc Holiday

He there...

I have a Steoger Supreme that's not cocking one barrel.  I have it apart for cleaning and the little arm goes back, the spring resists but it doesn't catch.  Tried some oil to free it up but no luck.  Hoping someone has seen this and can shed light on why she's misbehaving.  Any tips would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

The trigger may be stuck. The hammer sears are right next to each other and one may be rubbing on the other and not functioning right. That is the first thing that comes to mind. Is this a new gun?

1 minute ago, Flash said:

The trigger may be stuck. The hammer sears are right next to each other and one may be rubbing on the other and not functioning right. That is the first thing that comes to mind. Is this a new gun?

I bought it as used but I don't think it was, at least not that I could see.  If it was used, it was very lightly used.  I plan to open it up when I get home but was hoping for a couple of likely suspects to look for when I do.  

Just now, Croc Holiday said:

I bought it as used but I don't think it was, at least not that I could see.  If it was used, it was very lightly used.  I plan to open it up when I get home but was hoping for a couple of likely suspects to look for when I do.  

It is a pretty simple design and once you get it open you will see the trigger springs and hammer sears and should be about to tell why it is not working hopefully.

is it new?    take the stock off and open the action,, watch as the barrels fall open to cock it,,,  no? with it open with a screwdriver or such finish cocking it,, does it catch then,  no? sear may be worn,,, yes,,,?  find a shim and place it in the slot where the locking lug goes and assemble it,,,does it cock then?

look in the slots in the forearm,, have they been ground on or are they stock?

Thanks for the input.  I'll take it apart and see if I can spot which part has betrayed me. 

Thanks for the video Flash!  I was going to watch that one to see how to get it apart (haven't done that yet).  Maybe I'll slick it while I'm there :D

The spring he points to and shortens in that video is NOT the cocking spring. It is the top lever spring and it only effects the pressure it takes to move the lever to unlock the gun and keeps the gun locked when it fires. Do not shorten it unless you completely understand what locks up a side by side. Removing the auto safety feature will reduce the opening force needed. If the lever takes too much effort to move buy a lightened spring from Longhunter for $5. I followed this exact video and shortened my spring. Less than one season later my Stoeger was opening up and misfiring after the first barrel because my cut spring was not keeping the locking slide forward under recoil. It took a professional gunsmith to fix my damage. Unless you know what you're doing send your gun to a pro.

Usually better to use a lighter spring than cut the existing spring, in my experience. Just did that to my son's Stoeger. He likes it much better.

ruger springs work great, just shorten them to fit

12 hours ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

Pull he forend off and look for grooves worn by the cocking levers. 

While we had mine apart I was amazed at the wear in the forend from the cocking levers in only a year. My smith polished the ends of the levers to lessen them digging into the cap, then we applied white lithium grease to them to help with wear. This actually made a very noticeable difference in the force required for cocking.

Got it!  There was a tiny piece of cinder gravel under the trigger lever (sear?).  It wasn’t letting the trigger all the way down so it couldn’t cock the hammer.  Pic of gravel with a pin back for scale and where it was lodged.  Should have snapped a pic of it under the spring but didn’t think about it till after it was out.  Wanted to share in case someone else has the same issue some time...

D1BEC393-F092-4D36-8B55-5D0822DD699B.jpeg

BE48A626-6251-487B-AA10-B0A16D4E252E.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Croc Holiday said:

Got it!  There was a tiny piece of cinder gravel under the trigger lever (sear?).  It wasn’t letting the trigger all the way down so it couldn’t cock the hammer.  Pic of gravel with a pin back for scale and where it was lodged.  Should have snapped a pic of it under the spring but didn’t think about it till after it was out.  Wanted to share in case someone else has the same issue some time...

D1BEC393-F092-4D36-8B55-5D0822DD699B.jpeg

Those pesky cinder gravel! Glad you worked it out! 

6 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Probably from when they made the gun.  That little piece just rolled around inside until it found the most inconvenient place to lodge.  Glad you got it fixed.

Our range has a lot of that stuff so I suspect it was home grown.  Not sure how it made it in there though.  Weird.

Archived