SASS Wire Forum

Single-shot .22 Rifles

I have a Savage model 30G “Stevens Favorite” Single Shot that is a tack driver with iron sights. 

They are a .22 falling block rifle design.

What size?

Keystone makes both Chipmunk and Crickett single shot bolt "youth rifles". They are both good guns. The Chipmunk is slightly smaller than the Crickett, but you can get a full-size adult stock to put the little Crickett rifle in. I don't think they make a full size stock for the Chipmunk.

This 13-year-old is already a six-footer and seems to be growing about an inch per week! So a full-size rifle is the thing. 

I have 10/22s but diplomatic introduction, so to speak, for various reasons made me think of single-shots.

I have older grandkids who are shooters; this is a younger cohort starting up.

A few years ago, when I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse, we carried a bolt action .22 that came with a magazine and a magazine blank, but I don't remember who made it. The blank simply clipped into the magazine well so the rifle could be easily used as a single shot without dropping the single round out through the bottom.

I have had a number of single shot rifles over the years and love them. I have also owned a couple of Ruger 10/22s and consider them top drawer. I think I would buy a 10/22 and a Ruger single shot magazine.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/5-Reasons-You-Need-More-Ruger-10-22-Magazines/

Henry mini-bolt youth.  I have no experience with their bolts.  But their Lever .22's are

really tops. 

Savage:  Savage makes so many models that its impossible to recommend a particular one. Savage

also makes EXCELLENT rifles.

CZ (as mentioned above by Lawman Mark)   These are EXCELLENT rifles.

Don't limit yourself to just a 'single-shot'.   There are a lot of nice .22 rifle available that are

great for youth and new shooters.

..........Widder

I’d definitely be looking at old guns over anything manufactured today.  Lots of bargains out there on extraordinarily well made classic .22s that in the future will be worth a lot more than most of what’s available new.  I have an old Iver Johnson Safety Bolt model that used to be a staple of the Boy Scouts and it’s still as functional as it was made in the 1930s.  If I were to look at something new I’d consider something like bolt action CZ as LawmanMark suggested. 

Seamus

3 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

A few years ago, when I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse, we carried a bolt action .22 that came with a magazine and a magazine blank, but I don't remember who made it. The blank simply clipped into the magazine well so the rifle could be easily used as a single shot without dropping the single round out through the bottom.

The Mossberg comes with a magazine well plug to convert it into a hand fed single shot.

The Cricket and the Henry mini bolt both use plunger type cocking.  That is good for the very little kids that you don’t want to be able to fire on their own.  The Savage Rascal bolt does the cocking.  It also is the smoothest loading of the three and the most forgiving when you just drop a bullet into the action.  

There are single shot plug magazines that can be used in the Ruger American which has a modular stock to adjust comb height and LOP.  

The Savage mk ii or b22 are both good shooters.  Not sure if there are single shot adaptor plugs available.

There are always the old standbys available used like the Winchester 67.

Find an old Winchester 67 or Remington 514 in decent condition.  They will hold their value and provide the safety you seek.

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have a Savage model 30G “Stevens Favorite” Single Shot that is a tack driver with iron sights. 

They are a .22 falling block rifle design.

I don't think Savage still makes them.  Want to sell yours?

My first gun was an Ithica "Saddle Gun" . . .single shot .22   Looks like and old time lever gun, but is a falling block single shot .22  Don't know if it is still made ?  But available used.  I got one for my grandsons.  

13 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

The old Marlin 100 I have is a tack driver. I got it off of Gunbroker five years ago for $90. There are a couple on Gunbroker now at $150.

Strange you should mention the Marlin 100 because I own the Marlin 101.

It is a single shot, period.   No mag.  Just drop 1 round in the action, close the bolt, and THEN... pull

back on the MANUAL cocking handle (which resembles the letter 'T'), and its ready to fire.

And Nope, it ain't for sale.

..........Widder

I learned on an old Remington Model 6, which was a falling block type.
It belonged to my uncle Floyd, then to my Dad around 1926, then to me, then to the burlgar who ripped off my house.

There is a special place in my heart for SS rifles.
If I ever buy one more rifle, it will be the Savage SS long range precision varminter in 223.
This is doubtful, though.

Right now, we are enjoying the absolute dickens out of our new Henry Frontier 22LR.

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

No, but thanks for asking. :)

Mine was stolen from a man I had lent it to.  Would have been suspicious but he lost six or seven of his own guns.

He reported it to  the local police (Upland, CA) and they never even took a report.

Same thing happened when my house was burgled, only Ontario, CA PD.  Thirteen handguns and a rifle on the streets and they didn't seem to be interested.

Not a new thing.  These both happened thirty years ago or more.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Mine was stolen from a man I had lent it to.  Would have been suspicious but he lost six or seven of his own guns.

He reported it to  the local police (Upland, CA) and they never even took a report.

Same thing happened when my house was burgled, only Ontario, CA PD.  Thirteen handguns and a rifle on the streets and they didn't seem to be interested.

Not a new thing.  These both happened thirty years ago or more.

That's  terrible. It doesn't surprise me though.

I can attest to the superior performance of CZ bolt action 22LR rifles.  They are not inexpensive; however, they are a better value than Remington & Winchester bolt 22LR rifles.  CZ has 3 available magazines, 10 round, 5 round & single shot adapter.  If a 10 or 5 round magazine is empty just drop & push a round into the chamber.  For maximum idiot proofing the single action single shot can't be surpassed.

8 hours ago, Wolfgang, SASS #53480 said:

My first gun was an Ithica "Saddle Gun" . . .single shot .22   Looks like and old time lever gun, but is a falling block single shot .22  Don't know if it is still made ?  But available used.  I got one for my grandsons.  

Model 49. It was my first gun, a Christmas present 'bout 55 years ago, and I still have it. :)

Google says it was discontinued in 1978.

Many good suggestions. I'll also look at magazine-fed bolt-actions as I reflect on it-- a lot more options, as pointed out by some here.

The idea of the one-shot Ruger 10/22 magazine is interesting, but I am going to go with a bolt-action in any event, because I think it best on an introductory rifle.

2 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Many good suggestions. I'll also look at magazine-fed bolt-actions as I reflect on it-- a lot more options, as pointed out by some here.

The idea of the one-shot Ruger 10/22 magazine is interesting, but I am going to go with a bolt-action in any event, because I think it best on an introductory rifle.

If you open it to bolt-action repeaters, I'll second the different CZ rifles.

The new CZ457s have shorter bolt lifts than the older models - 60° vs 90°, and push-to-fire safeties.

With that said, the Savage B22 series is hard to beat based on features/accuracy/price point.

My grandparents had his-n-hers, single shot Remington .22 rifles.
Grandma's was distinguished by a cocking loop.

She tied some leather boot lace around the cocking knob, then had my father tie a Bowline in the tag end.

Grandma, rest her soul, had degenerative arthritis in her fingers and she lacked strength and pain tolerance to thumb-and-forefinger cock the rifle, but she could hook her arthritic old finger through the loop and draw it back to full cock!

She and Granddad and those two rifles -- and his bolt action .410 -- kept groundhogs smoked out of his bountiful garden every year!

Archived