SASS Wire Forum

Curtis Wright Engine Production

Subdeacon Joe

Joe,

Thank you for finding and posting this. My Father was a Test Engineer at the Paterson, NJ  plant during WWII. I grew up in Fair Lawn, NJ. I looked for him in the film (no go there), but my brother and I are still proud of his contribution to the war effort. Dad had a 27 year career as a Design Engineer at Wright Aeronautical. 

Since the the advent of jet engines Dad used to tell me about many of the specially designed parts of aircraft engines, how they were designed and worked. I am an Electrical Engineer, though I do understand much of the Mechanical Engineering principles he knew intimately. I always enjoyed the discussions and explications of his “arcane art”.

I once asked Dad why he persisted in telling me all these things as I was not likely to build aircraft engines. His response was, “Because I am afraid it will be lost”. In later years Dad had a second career  with Teledyne(sp?) designing and building small aircraft engines. I think he got to pass on some of his specialized knowledge there.

Sorry for the rambling post, I miss him.

CJ Calder

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Sorry for the rambling post, I miss him.

Lovely post, Jack. Thank you for sharing your personal history with us.  I'm glad that I was able to find something that had personal ties to someone here.

Archived