SASS Wire Forum

one week to go!!!

Boomstick Bruce

So, as some of you may know, this saturday the 5th, i take the physical abilities tests for the berkeley county sheriff's dept.

1.5mile run in less than 14:36, 28 sit ups in one minute and 18 push ups in one minute.

i started this 12 week training program friday before last (compacted into 3 weeks!) i was 50 pounds overweight, 2 bad knees, a bad back, i haven't exercised at all in at least 25 years and i'm an ex-smoker that had cut back to 4 packs a day when i cold turkey quit back in feb 2010... i started at 229.8 pounds two fridays ago, this morning i stepped on the scale at 213.6! tonight i ran my first 10 minute mile! i might actually pull this off and get into the academy!!! one week to go!!!

wish me luck!!! boy do i need it!!!

21 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

did it in 9:18 yesterday and 8:39 just now!!! I GOT THIS!!!

Been a long time since I've seen that sort of a mile time. Keep it up, and good luck!

Physical limitations aside - the rest is all in your head!

You want it - you can and will do it.

I won't wish you good luck, but I'll tell you that you can do it!

And I look forward to hearing your success.

Sounds like you’re going to get through this just fine.

Please keep this topic updated!

Cat Brules

3 hours ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

don't over do it and blow out a knee before the test Bruce. You got this.

Listen to this ^^^!

To be your best will require a lifestyle change, not a diet.

Keep it up after you get out of the academy. 

8:15 tonight... down to 213.0lbs too!!!

tomorrow im doing the full 1.5 to see what my time is, 14:35 is my goal... and that will be my last run before saturday... im resting friday, other than walking it briskly 2 or 3 times...

just think, until about two months ago i had to sit down every 10 minutes due to a pinched nerve in my back from an injury back in feb. now im running!!!

thanks for all the well wishes everyone!!!

unfortunately i didn't make the time... came in with a 14:58... my lungs and body just werent ready for that kind of workout. although i did manage to sprint the last straight and crossed at a full run!!!

oh and i did not come in last!!! i crossed about a minute before a 26 year old!!!

im resting now, icing my knee and reapplying monday and applying for jefferson county monday also!

i have not given up...

4 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

im resting now, icing my knee and reapplying monday and applying for jefferson county monday also!

i have not given up...

You can do it.

Look what you accomplished in this short period of time.

Keep it up.

51 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

You can do it.

Look what you accomplished in this short period of time.

Keep it up.

What he said ^^^^^

;)

So I got 4 weeks until the test for the other county! I'm going to spend this week taking a break from running, work out on the elliptical and build up my cardio, let my knee rest... I can barely walk on it right now.

14 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Ice is your friend.:D

What he said+100.

I like to keep frozen peas or kernel corn on hand as it contours a knee/ankle/elbow/shoulder quite well.

R.I.C.E. for the knee:

Rest

Ice

Compression

Elevation

For compression, think less about a wrap and more about a slide-on to stabilize.

Rehab smart and you'll be back in the game. Meantime, don't let other gains (lifestyle, attitude) slide.

Next time you'll have it.

Archived