SASS Wire Forum

1897 Diagnostics

Johnny Longpants

Hi all,

Couple of questions about 1897 problems and possible reasons/solutions.  Two of these are friend's guns and one is mine.

1)  Gun 1 Problem:  Hammer rides down with the bolt maybe one out of every six shots.  Hammer can then be cocked by thumb and fired.  This doesn't happen on his other 97 so maybe not operator error.  

2) Gun 2 Problem:  Double feed frequently.  Pump the action and you get extra half shell into action (note: Wild Bunch here with stoked gun).

3) Gun 3 Problem:  Failure to feed from magazine (again Wild Bunch stoked gun).  Happens maybe once or twice a match.  Have to pump action once or twice extra to feed.  Different shell types work better than others, STS work almost all the time, AA FtF a lot.  

Any suggestions on reasons and or solutions to any of the above problems would be appreciated. 

1 - possible causes: Mainspring (or it's strain screw) has been lightened too much.   Sear or hammer full cock notch angle is wearing/damaged to allow hammer to follow bolt.   Gun (fire control parts) dirty.

2 - Shell stops malfunctioning and sticking "open" (often they are dirty).

3 - Rough rims on reloaded shells.   Shell stops malfunctioning and sticking "closed" (often they are dirty).  Dirty magazine tube or follower, or weak spring.  Dinged magazine tube.

Of course, there are many other ways to get these malfunctions.  I've just listed ones that I have seen cause the problems.

Good luck, GJ

Notice he said, “cowboy gunsmith”.

A LOT of gunsmiths have never seen a Win97 or worked on one.  And, original parts are becoming scarce.  I suggest you not take it to just anyone.

This shotgun has something like eighty-seven or eighty-nine individual parts and screws.  If you’re going to pay someone to fix your ‘97, I’d say someone who’s been into them before and understands them is who you want to entrust yours to.    You’d think it would be different (a gunsmith is a gunsmith), but that’s not been my experience.    :-)

2 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Notice he said, “cowboy gunsmith”.

A LOT of gunsmiths have never seen a Win97 or worked on one.  And, original parts are becoming scarce.  I suggest you not take it to just anyone.

This shotgun has something like eighty-seven or eighty-nine individual parts and screws.  If you’re going to pay someone to fix your ‘97, I’d say someone who’s been into them before and understands them is who you want to entrust yours to.    You’d think it would be different (a gunsmith is a gunsmith), but that’s not been my experience.    :-)

+1000

Best guy to work on your '97 is Outlaw Gambler.  They are his specialty, he may even be able to help you over the phone diagnose the problem.

If I lived in OH, I would probably seek out Lassiter.

Living here in E.TN, I use Curly Bill Kelly.   The 'reliability' and performance I get from my 97's are

2nd to none.

If I lived in other places, I would use Squibber, Outlaw Gambler or Roy's Creek Dan.

All of them are 'Cowboy' gunsmiths with good reputations with the '97.

..........Widder

We here in northern Colorado and southern Wyoming are very pleased with Run-N-Iron out of Nebraska (Lonnie Meyer at www.runniron.com) when it comes to 97's.

Yo Pilgrim contact Squibber ay Dusty Bunch Old West Shooters in Maricopa, Arizona at (520)568-2852

dustybunch@yahoo.com

1897 Huckleberry on 1897's

Jackrabbit Joe

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:36 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

1 - possible causes: Mainspring (or it's strain screw) has been lightened too much.   Sear or hammer full cock notch angle is wearing/damaged to allow hammer to follow bolt.   Gun (fire control parts) dirty.

3 - Rough rims on reloaded shells.   Shell stops malfunctioning and sticking "closed" (often they are dirty).  Dirty magazine tube or follower, or weak spring.  Dinged magazine tube.

Of course, there are many other ways to get these malfunctions.  I've just listed ones that I have seen cause the problems.

Good luck, GJ

Great Info! Thanks

On 9/28/2019 at 10:36 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Good luck, GJ

Thanks, these are the kinds of tips I was looking for.  I know Lassiter can fix it and I also know how busy he is fixing other folk's guns so I am looking for some self help tips from experienced 97 users.     Looks like we will both be doing a more thorough cleaning and see if that helps and if all else fails pass the guns onto Lassiter for some work.

I know folks say "I only do a good clean on my guns once a year". These guns were not made to operate properly with months of gunk on and in them.

If you don't clean your guns regularly, I think you're very lucky they're still working properly and on borrowed time as to when they will malfunction.

I'm not saying they need to be completely disassembled after every shoot, just clean em up some, that's all.

I think a lot of malfunctions could be prevented/fixed with some judicious cleaning. So there! :D

Archived