SASS Wire Forum

What is the worst sound ........

Sawhorse Kid

For me it was a bang when I expected a click. Has happened to me 3 times, but at least it was someone elses guns. Working at an Armored Truck Company these things happened far too often.

Late afternoon on Friday, March 31, 1972.  About five miles north of San Juan Bautista headed south to San Luis Obispo to visit Half-Breed Pete.

Cruisin' along at about seventy in my '69 Bug when there came from the stern a very, very loug *BANG* of a swallowed valve, followed by a screech from one tire as the engine locked up, followed by the air horns on the semi- that barely missed me as the car whipped past in front of his bumper, followed by an equally loud "Oh BLEEEP!" from the operator of the Volkswagen... all rolled up into one.  nail-biting.gif

Well.  That's one of the worst sounds.  Most assuredly, there were quite a few others.  :)

The sound of my very young and very ill, dehydrated daughter as the nurse tried to find a vein for an IV saying "Daddy, make her stop."

1 hour ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

For me it was a bang when I expected a click. Has happened to me 3 times, but at least it was someone elses guns. Working at an Armored Truck Company these things happened far too often.

And why would you expect a click?

Sputtering, followed by the sound of wind whistling, when the engine quit on my float plane.

The sound of the rockets on the side of the helicopter going off and I had no ear protection.  The scream of those rockets is still in my head.  The next most horrible sound is the main gun on an M60 going off when you are standing outside of it with no ear protection.  Really hurts.

STL Suomi

My young daughter is backing my '65 Impala out of the garage.  Starts to turn the front wheels before the front end cleared the door.  The sound of sheet metal and the garage door frame is one I won't forget. 

BS

The sound of car windows breaking and the roof of my car scraping on the pavement as the car rolled over after getting t-boned by a stolen car that ran a stop sign.

I escaped injury, my car was totaled, and they never caught the guy that hit me.  But the sound kept waking me up in the middle of the night for a while.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

The attempted breathing sounds of a five year old that had ran out in front of a car leaving brain matter on the car.

That will bring my demons out to play tonight 

The more I think about this the more I don’t think I will participate in threads like this any more. 

No offense, but metal on metal definitely is not the worst sounds I have heard. 

I think I’ve had enough of these “ worst ever” threads. :(

On 9/28/2019 at 6:21 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Fisher cat

Fishers have made a comeback in our area of South West PA. Now a couple times a year we get a call of “a woman screaming in the woods”  it’s this animal.

:ph34r:   With any firearm, a BANG when expecting a click (when supposedly DRY firing), or a Click when expecting a bang.

Recently, the sound of an earthquake, a BIG one , and real (too) close....  difficult to describe, but unforgettable.

13 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

1.  Hillary's laugh.

2.  Rosie O'Donnell saying anything.

Hillary, no contest.

Archived