SASS Wire Forum

My complaint of the day

Cheatin Charlie

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recognize most of the internet long time standards: LOL, IMHO, IIRC, etc. but I can never bring myself to use them myself. They always seem barbarous to me.

Like a lot of folks in my cohort (early  baby-boomers), I was introduced to the internet on an office computer in 1999-2000. I was 51 or so and pretty much fully-formed. 

I write out all of those expressions if I use them.

But then, I use a personal computer. I don't have a smart phone. Even with the painstaking texting on a flip phone, I still use proper punctuation and capitalization and-- words: 'see you' not C U. Keeps my texts short.

6 hours ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

Why do some people who post on forums act as though they are texting someone?  They use a group of letters instead of typing out the correct words.

If you are too lazy to type the correct words I am too lazy to try and figure out what you are saying.

There my complaint of the day.

WTH? IDK, LOL, RU 4 real?:lol: 

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

"Bless you heart" is a good response.  I use it on FaceBook from time to time.  Most don't know what to make of "Bless your heart." :huh:

I had a long list of these things. It's around here somewhere.

20 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Abbreviations don’t really bother me — if someone wants to say IIRC instead of, “If I remember correctly . . . . “ it’s not a big deal to me. Every forum, most professions, have their slang, some people post on very disparate forums but drag their slang from one to the other. 

Meh. It’s not a world-stopper. I think I could grammar-nazi with the best, but it’s just not a big deal. 

Consider the poster who stumbles into here and starts reading about TOs, ULTs and LTs,  PMs and SHBs. 

Likewise, if someone figgers on goin’ all hick-i-fied whilst they’re a-scribblin’ out a post, whall now — thet thar’s jest a bit o’ spicin’ in th’ jug, if you’uns catch ma drift. 

It’s all good. We come from different backgrounds, and a person’s slang — their Tier 3 vocabulary, if you will — is part of who they are. I respect that, and actually kind of enjoy the glimpses that it gives into different people’s backgrounds.   

I like it, the term not the thing.

Sure glad I have a flip phone and I do not text from it or my Ipad...Flip phone does 2 things....Makes a call and get called to...And that is it...Does have voicemail...Ipad is for checking email, news and weather...Might set it up facetime to chat with my kids and grandchildren...To me,  5 minutes of text can be handled by a 2 minute or less phone call....

Texas Lizard

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

A Facebook friend reposted someone else's conversation in which one party used that phrase and the other responded with,  "Did you just tell me to eff off in Texan?"

Where I come from, he told the other party he's pretty effin stupid in Southern.

As for me, so long as everyone is using commonly recognized letter combinations, I don't care. It is when they start making up their own that I just shrug and go elsewhere. Life is far too short to worry about such things.

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

AND this stupid word “meme”! What the hell is that? MEME...sounds like a freakin’ urinary tract infection.

It is a word coined by Richard Dawkins, long before the internet and such were known things.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/meme

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

It is a word coined by Richard Dawkins, long before the internet and such were known things.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/meme

Wow, interesting!! 

5 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I recognize most of the internet long time standards: LOL, IMHO, IIRC, etc. but I can never bring myself to use them myself. They always seem barbarous to me.

I write out all of those expressions if I use them.

But then, I use a personal computer. I don't have a smart phone. Even with the painstaking texting on a flip phone, I still use proper punctuation and capitalization and-- words: 'see you' not C U. Keeps my texts short.

4 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Sure glad I have a flip phone and I do not text from it or my Ipad...Flip phone does 2 things....Makes a call and get called to...And that is it...Does have voicemail.To me,  5 minutes of text can be handled by a 2 minute or less phone call....

Texas Lizard

I'm with you guys. Except I don't even HAVE an Ipad. I still have a PC, which I'm on now. (Windows 7!)

11 hours ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

Why do some people who post on forums act as though they are texting someone?  They use a group of letters instead of typing out the correct words.

If you are too lazy to type the correct words I am too lazy to try and figure out what you are saying.

There my complaint of the day.

Guilty here.  Trying to type with my thumbs while looking through trifocals at my iPhone keyboard..  R u understanding 

I always thought the thread entitled "Twice as Grumpy" was a tongue-in-cheek, farcical, self effacing and friendly rib elbowing.  Seeing the responses to this thread makes me wonder.  I can understand that, as we age, we become more set in our ways.  New things and ideas can be unsettling or even frightening.  Most of us, however, realize that this is happening to us and try to be more understanding and flexible in our encounters with our fellow man.  This understanding of others is not to be found in the anti-abbreviation respondents to this thread.  Instead of worrying about having to fry a few brain cells figuring out a new abbreviation, take a minute and consider society as a whole.  Studies have shown that a driver has to take his attention of the road for 27.3 times as long to type "In my humble opinion" as would be needed to type "IMHO".  That is only one example, only one of the many abbreviations used by drivers every day.  If they were all forced to use complete words, as you (you know who you are) would require, the increased carnage on our highways, caused by increasingly distracted drivers, would be absolutely horrible.  The deaths, injuries and property damage caused by your selfish requirement could be incalculable.  So, if not for yourself, then for your fellow man, please find it in your heart to be open minded and flexible enough to embrace a few abbreviations where you encounter them.  It is the least we can do to help us all "Arrive Alive".

The most ridiculous phrase in today’s lexicon is “it’s all good!”.

People who use it think they’re being both clever and condescending.

That phrase wouldn’t go well with someone like my father, who would have promptly hit them in the mouth and then asked if that was “all good” too.  The first three or four times I heard that response, it was from some snotty twenty-something with whom nothing about the situation was really good and they were angry about it!  All in the name of political correctness.  I soon began replying with, “No! No it isn’t, but TS anyway!!” :angry: :lol:

5 hours ago, Joke 'um said:

I always thought the thread entitled "Twice as Grumpy" was a tongue-in-cheek, farcical, self effacing and friendly rib elbowing.  Seeing the responses to this thread makes me wonder.  I can understand that, as we age, we become more set in our ways.  New things and ideas can be unsettling or even frightening.  Most of us, however, realize that this is happening to us and try to be more understanding and flexible in our encounters with our fellow man.  This understanding of others is not to be found in the anti-abbreviation respondents to this thread.  Instead of worrying about having to fry a few brain cells figuring out a new abbreviation, take a minute and consider society as a whole.  Studies have shown that a driver has to take his attention of the road for 27.3 times as long to type "In my humble opinion" as would be needed to type "IMHO".  That is only one example, only one of the many abbreviations used by drivers every day.  If they were all forced to use complete words, as you (you know who you are) would require, the increased carnage on our highways, caused by increasingly distracted drivers, would be absolutely horrible.  The deaths, injuries and property damage caused by your selfish requirement could be incalculable.  So, if not for yourself, then for your fellow man, please find it in your heart to be open minded and flexible enough to embrace a few abbreviations where you encounter them.  It is the least we can do to help us all "Arrive Alive".

You are right about the danger of using your cell phone while driving.  When is the government going to force phone makers to turn off outgoing messaging when the phone is traveling over a certain speed?  It would be very easy to do, and look at the crashes it would prevent.  Remember "If it saves one life it is worth it"

5 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The most ridiculous phrase in today’s lexicon is “it’s all good!”.

People who use it think they’re being both clever and condescending.

That phrase wouldn’t go well with someone like my father, who would have promptly hit them in the mouth and then asked if that was “all good” too.  The first three or four times I heard that response, it was from some snotty twenty-something with whom nothing about the situation was really good and they were angry about it!  All in the name of political correctness.  I soon began replying with, “No! No it isn’t, but TS anyway!!” :angry: :lol:

Way too often, a person's first exposure to something establishes their ongoing reaction to it, and your first encounters with, 'It's all good,' seems to have scarred you deeply.

But as with anything, it's all in the context. If you've got someone who's  just lost their dog, and you say, 'It's all good,' then yeah -- it's kind of shallow and condescending.

If someone has just run over your foot and you say, 'It's all good,' then it's giving the offender some forgiveness.

But in the context of a weighty discussion about internet jargon, 'It's ('It's' referring to how people decide to express themselves on the 'net, providing they do it civilly) all good,' isn't condescending or clever -- it's just expressing that however you want to say it is fine.

Coming in so pointedly after I used that very phrase, I probably should fret about your thought but I tend not to overestimate the importance of someone else's internet opinion in my life, just as I hope they don’t base their peace of mind on mine. 

But thank you for sharing your perspective.

How about "hater"?

Another board, and the poster said that he did not buy Remington rifles and he did not buy 30/06 rifles, but he had broken his own rule and bought a Remington 30/06.

Someone responded by saying WHY YOU GOT TO BE SUCH A HATER.

I would like to meet the person that first started using that word in that manner. I would like to strike them in the face with something large and heavy. 14 inch cast iron skillet maybe. 32 inch Louisville slugger.

If David Dukes (y'all remember him?) were to say that he did not want any black people living in his neighborhood, he would not be a "hater". There are perfectly fine words to describe him. Racist. Bigot. People that would call him a "hater" are simply people that are too lazy (or stupid) to learn the correct terms.

And while I am ranting about the correct terms, a phobia is a fear, not a dislike. If I do not want Muslims living in my neighborhood, it is not because I am islamophobic. I am not scared of them - I simply do not like them. The same with homosexuals. If I do not wish to be around them it is not because I am afraid of them - homophobic - but because I do not like them.

I'm not sure whether this generation has hit upon the perfect propaganda tool - where they announce that anything YOU think you dislike, THEY KNOW you are really afraid of. And they are making fun of you for being afraid of it.

But then, there is always the possibility is this bunch of millennials are actually so stupid they do not know the difference between fear and dislike.

7 hours ago, Joke 'um said:

Well, I'm hoping that THIS post is a " tongue-in-cheek, farcical, self effacing and friendly rib elbowing".  It is illegal in my state to text while driving; I believe that it is in some other jurisdictions as well.  Even if it is not, I can't think of a better definition of "distracted drivers" than the mindless fools I see driving down a multi-lane highway with their eyes focused on their hand-held devices, trying to use their thumbs to reply to those urgent grocery texts.  Get a voice activated device, or pull over - all of our lives depend upon it.

19 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Thanks , good buddies that were quartermasters but I don't recall ever hearing them use that term even though they often talked in their own lingo.

8 hours ago, Joke 'um said:

Humor...I get it. :D

By the way I know lots of acronyms and abbreviations. I used up valuable space in my brain to memorize them. Unfortunately that caused a lapse of memory in many other things, like; what was it that I was supposed to be working on, where did I put my glasses, where are my bike keys, did I leave the coffee maker on...

Life’s a b**** trying to stay up to date. :P:D

22 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I had a long list of these things. It's around here somewhere.  

I like it, the term not the thing.

Glad there was something in that ramble you liked. 

I’m not a big fan of someone posting as if they just came out of the hills, but I guess the nature of the sport encourages some folks to channel their inner Festus Hagen and if that’s what gives someone a little boost, it doesn’t cost me a dime. 

For me, it’s just a lot of work to try to work out the speech details, then try to write it out so it phonetically gets the lingo across. I grew up with some family that talked a little like that. At the time I’d cringe a little, but I’d really like to have some of their cooking now. 

On 9/28/2019 at 7:51 AM, Joke 'um said:

Many correspondents read and respond to a forum using a phone ot tablet.  These devices have no standard keyboard for standard secretary school typing.  Using hunt and peck with one finger or a stylus on a tiny screen keyboard representation, abbreviations greatly facilitate communication.  

Get over it.

NO!

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:16 AM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Well, I'm hoping that THIS post is a " tongue-in-cheek, farcical, self effacing and friendly rib elbowing".  It is illegal in my state to text while driving; I believe that it is in some other jurisdictions as well.  Even if it is not, I can't think of a better definition of "distracted drivers" than the mindless fools I see driving down a multi-lane highway with their eyes focused on their hand-held devices, trying to use their thumbs to reply to those urgent grocery texts.  Get a voice activated device, or pull over - all of our lives depend upon it.

Around here they compromise by driving 10mph under the speed limit and leaving a half mile of space between them and the next vehicle. Too bad if the people behind them actually need to get where they're going.

On 9/28/2019 at 7:44 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

One zipperhead a while back ...

Pard, you may not be aware of this, but the term "zipperhead" is a racist, derogatory term for Asian people.  I'd suggest eliminating it from your vocabulary.

3 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Pard, you may not be aware of this, but the term "zipperhead" is a racist, derogatory term for Asian people.  I'd suggest eliminating it from your vocabulary.

I heard this term for years as a kid. It meant if their head had a zipper they’d take their brain out and play with it.

But I will keep that in mind.

1 hour ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I must live a sheltered life I never heard the phrase zipperhead.  Of course never lived around Asian people.

I've heard it, as a World War II derogatory term for Japanese.

Not "Asians" - Japanese.

When did people start calling Orientals "Asian"?

Asia is the largest continent in the world. And probably one third of the people that live there are Oriental.

Orientals - Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, Laotion. Straight black hair, brown skin, slanted eyes.

East Indians and Pakistanis are not Oriental, but they are Asian.

Arabs, Israelis, Iraqis, Iranis, Afghanis. They aren't Oriental either, but they're Asian.

And let's not forget that half of Russia, with all the Caucasians that live there, are Asian.

3 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I live amongst a plethora of Asians and zipperhead has never been mentioned as a racist term, plenty of others have but not that one. I’m referred to on a daily basis as whitebread , cracker and wetto. Alright for them but not so much for us. Me thinks people bitch way to much.

In my world, "zipperhead" was a term for people who used their brains creatively such as artists and scientists.

Then there is this: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/zipperhead. Note the first etymology.

And "gay" used to mean happy & lighthearted, and a "cracker" was something to be eaten. Our language - particularly slang - is always evolving, often not for the better.

Just now, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

In my world, "zipperhead" was a term for people who used their brains creatively such as artists and scientists.

Then there is this: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/zipperhead. Note the first etymology.

And "gay" used to mean happy & lighthearted, and a "cracker" was something to be eaten. Our language - particularly slang - is always evolving, often not for the better.

I tell my grandkids that I used to be “gay” until it became a bad word, now I’m just happy.

16 hours ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

I must live a sheltered life I never heard the phrase zipperhead.  Of course never lived around Asian people.

First time I heard that was in Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino!:o

https://www.quora.com/Where-does-the-derogatory-term-for-Asians-Zipperhead-come-from

I user BC and SD and ES  in typing Ballistic data .....

And to a lesser extent VD , PC, PP and PC ....

But only while talking Ballistics ....

But guess what PPCLI stands For ,,,,,,,, Think Army ....

Jabez Cowboy

The okay hand sign and a bowl haircut are now considered racist symbols, that’s how out of wack things are now.

Archived