SASS Wire Forum

.22 Conversion Kits...

Since we in california are not allowed to buy a Ruger Mk IV, can anyone tell me if there is a .22 conversion kit available that will fit a Springfield Armory 1911?  :huh:

Advantage Arms states that their's will not fit; Kimber's evidently will not...  :mellow:

Don't have any, yet... want to find one that will fit before buying.

May be a dumb question, but if something fits one 1911 shouldn't it fit all? I remember one from way back, MIGHT have been from Colt but don't think so. I always thought one would be cool but they cost as much or more as a .22 pistol, so never bought one.

JHC

14 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Do you have the range officer? That is the one it won't fit, should fit a standard Springfield 1911. Call them and ask.

Sorry, Pete!  I thought you were referring to the AA conversion kit itself!

No... the pistol is the basic Springfield Armory 1911-A1.  

Thanks for the correction ~ this might just be the one!   :)

Mine is a Colt. I bought it in '81. It's been on my Series 70 Gold Cup, my Springfield box-stock GI 1911A1, and has, for the last 30 years, been sitting on an AMT Hardballer frame (got tired of switching back and forth, so built a dedicated 22).

618423053_FrankengunAceleft.thumb.jpg.64cdd938f8a11d4f92dde4f1182fc39d.jpg

Three or four years later I bought one for my brother for Christmas, but by then the Series 80 were out, and his new Ace top was for Series 80 guns. He had to fiddle with it to make it work on his Series 70.

I have a Ciener conversion that works well on my 45acp 1911 's, as I recall I did a bit of tweeking on the firing pin return spring in order to get it to function reliably with most all ammo.  I use it on both a Colt and a Remington R1.

Blackfoot

4 hours ago, BLACKFOOT SASS #11947 said:

I have a Ciener conversion that works well on my 45acp 1911 's, as I recall I did a bit of tweeking on the firing pin return spring in order to get it to function reliably with most all ammo.  I use it on both a Colt and a Remington R1.

Blackfoot

I have one for my Colt Commander. Takes like 5 minutes to change out, and works like a dream. Paid $90 bucks for it maybe 5 or 6 years ago.

15 hours ago, Alpo said:

Mine is a Colt. I bought it in '81. It's been on my Series 70 Gold Cup, my Springfield box-stock GI 1911A1, and has, for the last 30 years, been sitting on an AMT Hardballer frame (got tired of switching back and forth, so built a dedicated 22).

Three or four years later I bought one for my brother for Christmas, but by then the Series 80 were out, and his new Ace top was for Series 80 guns. He had to fiddle with it to make it work on his Series 70.

Alpo, is that the ACE conversion?  Those're really sweet, but can be pricey ~ oftimes a comma in the price when ya see 'em on Gunbroker.  

6 hours ago, BLACKFOOT SASS #11947 said:

Blackfoot

Is Ciener still in business?  Didn't he get arrested a few years ago...?  :huh:

From what I've been reading, I'm thinkin' the Advantage Arms model looks interesting ~ it'll stay open after the last shot, which the Kimber won't do.  :)

Downside is the recommended hammer spring change, although from watching a few YouTube videos that may not be necessary....

34 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Alpo, is that the ACE conversion?  Those're really sweet, but can be pricey ~ oftimes a comma in the price when ya see 'em on Gunbroker

Yeah it is, and you're right about pricey. I think it was two and a quarter, maybe two and a half - 40 years ago.

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Yeah it is, and you're right about pricey. I think it was two and a quarter, maybe two and a half - 40 years ago.

Ol' Half-Breed Pete had (still has!) one from 'way back when.  Tops!

Remind me, though... does the slide stay open after the last shot?  

If you use the correct slide stop.

They make three. You know that you got your 45, then your 9 mm/38 Superdooper (which is thinner than a 45), and you got your 22 which is thinner than the nine millimeter.

If you use a 45 slide stop with a 9mm, it doesn't reach in towards the center far enough that the 9 mm follower will push it up. And the 22 slide stop needs to reach in even further.

I put it together one time using the 45 stop, and it didn't lock back.

Now you got me curious as to what would happen if you put the 45 together using the 22 stop. I wonder if it would break it.

I shall not experiment.

15 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Is Ciener still in business?  Didn't he get arrested a few years ago...?  :huh:

You may be correct,  it seems like I might have heard something to that effect.  Don't remember what it was about.

Blackfoot

Page explaining why he wasn't a criminal.

http://www.22lrconversions.com/trouble-of-2011.htm

Note on homepage.

http://www.22lrconversions.com/

>This website is current as of the dated noted at the bottom of this page.
There has been some questions as to whether we are still in business.
Orders paid by USPS Money Order or Credit Card are shipped within 24 hours of receipt.

"Surfing" the web you will see postings of accusations of fraud about our founder.
Official charges were never brought because the accusation was BASELESS!
Further "surfing" will show this as well.
Please note, we put this at the beginning of our site as we have nothing to hide<

The date at the bottom of the page is March 26, 2018.

On 9/27/2019 at 4:25 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Since we in california are not allowed to buy a Ruger Mk IV, can anyone tell me if there is a .22 conversion kit available that will fit a Springfield Armory 1911?  :huh:

Advantage Arms states that their's will not fit; Kimber's evidently will not...  :mellow:

I have an older Kimber conversion that works fine on my Springfield Armory standard sized 1911.  It MAY require CCI Mini-Mags to run reliably. most conversions I've encountered seem to prefer higher velocity ammo to cycle the slide reliably

I have a Remington-made M1911 contract gun, made in 1942/1943 that came from the military with a Colt “Ace” .22 conversion on it.  It came with four Colt .22  magazines.  It functions (has never failed to cycle and fire) perfectly with any type of .22LR ammo.  Unexpectedly, recoil and muzzle report is about equal to a standard .45acp M1911.

Cat Brules

Archived