SASS Wire Forum

New Marlin 1894 Cowboy - latest encounter

Warden Callaway

We were at our favorite toy store yesterday beside a cowboy action shooter picking up a new Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 357 Magnum.  Although I wasn't invited to handle and give the gun a complete physical examination,  I did strike up a conversation with the new owner and had a good look see of the rifle.  Overall,  the gun looked very nice.  The wood was very plain but the grain was oriented correctly and the fit around the tangs were very well done.  The finish on the wood was rather dull compaired to the high gloss thick polyurethane of the JM Marlins.  I did catch the price paid ... $790 tax included (about 10%) out the door.  

Shoot!  I thought I was posting on the Wire.   Please move...

I just acquired a like-new JM 1894 CB Cowboy Ltd 45 Colt and found the wood finish the matte that I prefer. Yes the wood is plain-grained, but these rifles get handled roughly anyway and take on "character" quickly. I recently examined a 44 Magnum of recent manufacture (Remlin) and was impressed with the fit and finish and how well the wood was fitted. All the steel edges were softened, which I can't say for my JM except for the nicely done lever. With a little filing I have it the way I want it now.

Archived