SASS Wire Forum

Making a Big Iron

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I am sure many of us know the Marty Robbins song, Big Iron.

From what I have been able to determine, the gun that inspired the writing of the song was a Colt clone, .45, with 1860 grips, and a 9-1/2" barrel that was cut down from a Marlin rifle.  Although the descriptions of it that I have seen don't actually say so, I have always envisioned it as having an octagon barrel.

I've always thought it would be cool to obtain a gun in this configuration, but was concerned that the cost would be quite high.  And then there is problematic reality that I live in Massachusetts where I can't buy a new SAA or clone since it's deemed an unsafe design by the Commonwealth.

But late last night a though occurred to me.  I could perhaps convert one of the pistols I already own.  Not one of my real Colts, but perhaps one of my clones could serve as the basis for the conversion.  I immediately considered my Armi San Marco.  It's been a nice gun for me, but there is really nothing special about it, it only cost me $250 bucks, and it is a .45.  And I don't need to do an exact reproduction of the original Big Iron.   The barrel does not have to be a chopped rifle one, for example, just octagonal.   But then I found myself wondering if the needed parts would fit on an ASM pistol.   If not I could try to find a used Uberti or Pietta to make the changes to.

But THEN I found myself thinking, grips are one thing, but changing the barrel is not something I would personally want to do.   So THAT got me wondering, can anyone suggest a gunsmith that might be willing to take on such a project that would not cause me to go into debt to make it happen?

VTI lists some parts for the ASM 1860 (grip frame and grips) and the 1873 (barrel). You would need to call and confirm that the parts are actually in stock and would interchange. Also bear in mind that the ASM's were listed as very close to 1st and 2nd gen Colts to include barrel threads. So a buntline barrel for a Colt or other clone like the current Pietta's might work as well. Again, check with some that are more knowledgeable before spending your dollars. These are merely ideas and ramblings from someone who picks up and retains bits of what seems like useless information along the way.

https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/

Interestingly, I just completed, well near completed, a similar conversion on a Ruger Single six.  I chopped a new take off 10/22 barrel and fitted it to the Single Six.  I'd bought the revolver for my son with a 5.5" barrel but after shooting my 9.5" SS, he decided he liked the "long" barrel better.  So, I converted his.  I ended up with a 10 5/8" barrel.  I'm just waiting for a new Ejector Rod housing, the old one had a lot of wear.

Fitting the 1860 grip frame is pretty easy to do.  It's the barrel that requires access to a lathe. Even if you were to find a barrel with eth proper threads, it is unlikely to screw on a index properly or have the proper cylinder gap.  Not a huge issue to make an octagon barrel if that's what you want.

Best thing to do, if you attempt to do some or most of it yourself especially if you are searching for a barrel, is to determine exactly what threads are on yours.

I bought a pair of Vaqueros recently only to discover that one of them had a bulged barrel.  So, I shopped around and was able to find two take off  4 5/8" barrels and went about replacing them:

HbFRHGXh.jpg

HLhGmceh.jpg

The finished pair are in the center:

KYltSS7h.jpg

Archived