SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Putting a scope on a "real" Winchester 94

By "real" I mean a "pre-'83" one that was made before the introduction of angle eject.   I remember when I worked at K-Mart we sold special mounts that could be used to attach a scope to the left side of the rifle's frame.   It was rather ingenious, as I recall, although of no use to a southpaw like me.

I was wondering if anyone else remember this,  and if you still have it.

eBay?????

I saw a Weaver pre64 scope mount on EBay but not sure that is what you are referring to. Might want to search for it and see

I am just wondering if anyone else might remember the novel way a scope was installed on a pre-83 Winchester 94, a gun that was really not designed for a scope in the first place.

To a lesser extent I am wondering if anyone around here might still have one.    Just idle curiosity.  Nothing more.

I remember them, I was just talking about it with a buddy this weekend.  He got an old 94 and might want to put a scope on it (I'm trying to talk him out of it).  I always thought scout scopes like horace described was a better solution.  I believe those just went into the dovetail for the rear sight. 

I had a cousin who shot one of the side mounted scopes.  He'd turn the rifle so the scope was directly above the barrel and he didn't have to adjust for extra windage.  I cannot remember if hew as right handed or left handed.  Seems like it would be more natural when shooting lefty. 

Posted (edited)

I once saw a 94 on Armslist with a scope mount that had been badly arc welded to the side of the receiver.  About wanted to cry...

Personally, if I had a Winchester 94 that I wanted to put a scope on I would first try and trade it for a Marlin 336.  Or pick up a budget bolt gun and leave my 94 looking classy. 

Edited by July Smith

SCOPE ON A LEVER GUN ? 

Screenshot_2017-06-14-22-45-30.thumb.jpg.7dbb0b579c72e59caace43ff34ff8a8d.jpg