SASS Wire Forum

Parks with big trees?

Charlie Harley, #14153

My wife and I have a hankering to visit a park with giant redwoods or firs, but we don’t know where to begin.  We tried Muir Woods on our last visit to San Francisco, but the government shutdown had the gates locked. 

What are are your favorite places to visit?  

As always, the Saloon’s wisdom is much appreciated. 

Oregon.  Along the coast and/or western slope of the Cascades, Oregon used to have the nicest bunch of small State parks on the planet.  Each one a different attraction, making each unique.  Haven't been back for 40 years but, even that bunch of hippies can't have ruined them all.  (Can they?)

We spent a few days in Kernville a few years ago. Stayed lovely place right on the river. Many big trees up the road.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/sequoia+national+park/@35.9842249,-118.7139868,9.14z

Near Kernville CA you can see giant Sequoias. Beautiful Area.  Kings Canyon is Just north.

Giant Redwoods can be seen by starting North of the bay area on the 101. Follow the coast line all the way to Oregon.

In '77 I had a 3 week job in Eugene, Oregon. I remember seeing convoys of trucks, the first would have a section of tree maybe 12 feet across an umpty-ump feet long, the next would have something like it maybe 10 feet across, the a 7 foot truck that didn't need wide load sign then a few trucks with "parts".

But for majesty, Sequoia and KIng's Canyon National parks. I remember throwing snowballs in May.

We drove over to Mendocino from Napa once. Stayed here at this very cool place https://schoolhousecreek.com/ .

Mendocino Nat. Forest is close.  Big trees.  

8CA4A2B6-875F-4329-9735-5A10265BE451.jpeg

I read an article where the writer was describing the trees of the West as "huge, unlike the trees in the East". It reminded me of a book I read by John Adams (yes POTUS #2) before the revolution. Adams would often go to Maine when it was part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, before the revolution. He went there to help resolve land grant disputes and other legal matters. His narrative also described the journey where his carriage often had to stop while they crossed through regions of cut trees 10 feet or more across that had been felled to be taken to Boston to build ships for the Royal Navy.

The Redwood Highway from the Oregon state line south to the Ukiah area is really beautiful. A little touristy,but well worth the drive.

Got my Hummer H3 stuck in one of the magnificent "drive through" Redwoods,but  ,what is a side mirror compared to something of that majesty?

Still had a great trip.

Saroyan Lumber up in L.A. says they have 8 acres of hardwoods and other lumber under roof, just saying.

Archived