SASS Wire Forum

Hey guitar players

Utah Bob #35998

9 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Unfortunately we have no local shops. 

Every guitar is a little different, you should take a trip and check out some guitars in person. Nothing like actually playing what you're gonna drop $$$ on. Just my opinion, I wouldn't buy any musical instrument without trying it out first!;)

Agree with Rye Miles.... BUT Guitar Center had a Martin D-18 for sale used in Florida at a price I couldnt resist. Turned out to be a good guitar with only one issue which was disclosed in the sale information. Easy to reglue the internal brace where it had lifted a bit. I figured humidity being the culprit.  Pretty happy with it, though just sold it a few months ago just did not play it enough to justify having it and the guy down the street was looking for a nice guitar.

Let me reiterate that I am not a novice to guitars. I simply have not played for so many years that there are a number of brands that 

I am not familiar with. Naturally I wouldn’t buy a pig in a poke.. ;)

If a number of pards say, “This brand sucks”, that helps me cull the list. I know all the classic names; Gibson, Ibanez, Yamaha, Fender, Martin, etc. but never heard of Oscar Schmidt and others.

There are a lot of new names on the market, from foreign sources.

When my daughter was on the road with her band, they were endorsed by ESP guitars.
These are Gibson-scale types, nicely made in Asia.

I had a nice conversation with the owner of Studio Projects microphones, which are manufactured in China.
He told me the Chinese can literally build to any quality and price point.
C.C.S. (cheap chinese ....) is that way because it is SPEC'ed that way.

I own several S.P. microphones, which are spec'ed at the premium end.
I figure this is the same with electric guitars.

My advice:

For an electric guitar, budget wise the Epiphones are the way to go.   They get you 90% of the way to a Gibson, and if you're really into tone another couple hundred bucks will get you almost the rest of the way there.

For an acoustic guitar...get the best you can afford, there's no shortcuts on an acoustic guitar.  That said, Yamahas are decent (the mid range ones).  There were some "Arts and Lutherie" guitars around quite awhile back that were halfway decent.  Better to go with a used acoustic to get more bang for your buck - with a good acoustic, the older it gets the better it sounds.

I got a great deal on an Epiphone acoustic. Made in 1983, my son restrung it, cleaned the fretboard and went over it "tooth and nail" so to speak. It's a great sounding guitar but I do love my "Baby" Martin, it doesn't sound as good as the Eppy but it sure is easy to play!;)

My Son went to two or three Guitar centers and played about 75 different ones priced from 400 to 4,500 dollars and bought one that cost 750 dollars that we both agreed sounded the best and he just loved ....

We used to tour Western Canada as a Family Singing Group for about 15 years as the kids were growing up ..... All my kid play at least 4 different instruments'....

Jabez Cowboy

I bought an Epiphone Les Paul a few years ago when I caught them on sale. Mark Watson , the other founding member of our band, and Barry Barnes, an old schoolmate and the original lead guitar player for the Charlie Daniels Band both played it and they tell me that only the electronics and the trim differ from a comparable Gibson Les Paul.  They both were blown away by the tone.

Another friend works in the custom shop at Gibson.  He has a Les Paul he made for himself with a balsa wood body!  Great conversation piece, particularly when he sticks his pick into it at the end of a set!!  He pretty much says the same thing, excluding those units produced in the custom shop.

A good player can make a bad instrument sound good. A hack like me usually makes even a great one sound less than good!

Archived