SASS Wire Forum

Hey guitar players

Utah Bob #35998

I was thinking about picking up a reasonably priced axe, even though it's been many years since I did any pickin or strummin. :lol: Many years.

I was looking at an Oscar Schmidt the other day. Seemed to have a nice sound.

What do youse professional musicians think?

TheBand65b.jpg

If you have never played before, the Gibson scale is a wee bit shorter than the Fender scale.
This means lower string tension and easier to bend the strings.
It also means a shorter reach between frets if you have smaller hands.

Big handed guys like Stevie Ray Vaughn, Hendrix, Eric Clapton, all do just fine on the Fender.
SRV down-tuned by 1/2 tone for a wee bit looser string tension.

34 minutes ago, bgavin said:

If you have never played before, the Gibson scale is a wee bit shorter than the Fender scale.
This means lower string tension and easier to bend the strings.
It also means a shorter reach between frets if you have smaller hands.

Big handed guys like Stevie Ray Vaughn, Hendrix, Eric Clapton, all do just fine on the Fender.
SRV down-tuned by 1/2 tone for a wee bit looser string tension.

I have played before. I had a Gibson.

IMO,  you will be a lot happier sticking with the Gibson scale.
I played Epiphones and Gibsons since the early 60s.

I no longer play guitar, as I much prefer electric bass, banjo, lap steel and keys.
Kidk-ass guitar players are easier to find and they are plentiful.
That aside, I have a Warmoth 12-string guitar build in work.
It comes only in the Fender scale, so that will be interesting to see how clumsy I am with it.

Intellectually, there should be no problem.
I switch between banjo, bass and lap without an issue.
I sold all my 4-string electric basses because I could not mentally make the jump between my 4-string and 5-string basses.
I forced myself to stay entirely with 5-strings.

I'd suggest sticking with the low end offerings from estsblished American brands.  The Oscar Schmidts, etc., will have to be replaced as soon as you know better.  If you want acoustic, try a 100 series Taylor or similar Martin.  If electric, go for Fender (Squier), Gibson (Epiphone), or Gretsch (Indonesian made).  These brands' low end offerings remain valued instruments even when you move up to something "better".

Remember, you can't buy good sound.  A good player sounds good on a cheap rig.  A crappy player sounds crappy on the most prestigious or expensive gear.  

Rock on!

Let me say that  have played both electric and acoustic guitars in the past. But there are so many more on the market now than there were a few decades ago it's difficult to shop now. I do not intend to perform with this instrument. Strictly for my 0wn enjoyment.

Acoustic I'd go with the Epiphone unless you want to shell out big bucks for a Gibson. They also make a decent electric. Takamine is another decent middle priced guitar as well as Yamaha. I'm not a professional guitarist but I do play. My two sons are excellent pro guitar players.

I'm a drummer so what the heck do I know??:P

Check the pawn shops; I got a good buy on a Gibson B-45 12 string a long time ago at a pawn shop in Omaha.  Wish I still had it, even though the arthritic fingers could not do it justice any more.

My son loves his Taylor.

Well, I wrote a novel here and decided that all you were just looking for a few opinions. Short story is that I've tried many guitars over the past 50+ years. I won't take my good one out of the house so after buying several inexpensive guitars, I settled on the IBANEZ AW54CE. 

Snakebite

I’m by no means a guitar player. A hack, maybe.  But I work with great guitar players. Fender/Squire and Gibson/Epiphone are the top of the heap if you’re talking electric, but Gretsch, Ibanez, and Dan Electro are also good choices. Martin, Taylor, Takamine, and Yamaha are the go-tos for acoustic guitars.

42 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Let me say that  have played both electric and acoustic guitars in the past. But there are so many more on the market now than there were a few decades ago it's difficult to shop now. I do not intend to perform with this instrument. Strictly for my 0wn enjoyment.

Is there not a movie out awhile back...Where guitar player said if his song made it number one he would play naked....Are you practicing in front of the mirror???  Getting ready for time....

Texas Lizard

Bob. It all depends on what type of music you like.  Guessing based on the last 10 years of your posts rap is not your thing BUT metal death Reggie Goth might be (:o) Sooooo My guitars are (my favorite) Acoustic-   - Martin D14.  My Gibson 1966 Les Paul is best electric ever, and the late 1970's Fender Strat is close.  Now the real surprise is a 12 string Ventura with close second being a 12 string Taylor.   I am however real Partial to my Gibson ES 335 for 2am playing in the back yard alone.....

I've owned a few guitars in my life, the better ones I've owned were Vox, Ibanez, Fender and Gibson. I finally sold my Gibson Les Paul to my brother his year. I still own an Epiphone Hummingbird acoustic and an Epiphone Johnny A electric and love them both. Epiphone makes a great guitar that is less expensive than the Gibson and the quality is right up there with the Gibsons these days. Can't go wrong with an Epi.

56 minutes ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Bob. It all depends on what type of music you like.  Guessing based on the last 10 years of your posts rap is not your thing BUT metal death Reggie Goth might be (:o) Sooooo My guitars are (my favorite) Acoustic-   - Martin D14.  My Gibson 1966 Les Paul is best electric ever, and the late 1970's Fender Strat is close.  Now the real surprise is a 12 string Ventura with close second being a 12 string Taylor.   I am however real Partial to my Gibson ES 335 for 2am playing in the back yard alone.....

I know which guitars are fantastic. I can’t afford them.

Note the ‘56 Gibson ES175 in my pic. Dad bought it for 50 bucks when I was 17.

Sold it when I went into the army.  :(

Not sure how much he got for it.

What I’m looking for is a nice sounding flat top that I won’t have to get a loan for. ;)

38 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

What I’m looking for is a nice sounding flat top that I won’t have to get a loan for. ;)

Good thing most of us are deaf by now.

:ph34r:

1 minute ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Good thing most of us are deaf by now.

:ph34r:

My playin got me a hot chick. :wub:

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I know which guitars are fantastic. I can’t afford them.

Not sure how much he got for it.

Sir, I understand... Begin your search in your area in pawnshops and Craig's-list.  I have had most of my guitars (10 remain) for at least 40 years- at one time I had 25 and my wife hassled me into selling most. . Yes, most will be overpriced and ragged out... BUT depending on your choices of either electric or acoustic.. Your choice will appear. ..

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

My youngest daughter is a retired rockstar... 10+ years on the road.
When it got serious, I bought her a new Gibson SG (think AC/DC).

I told her if she ever needed to lighten the load, send it home to me, freight collect.
I will put it away for her.. decades if needed, until she is a real adult and wants it back.
A girl never forgets her first one... I wanted to make sure she still has it.
After all these years, it still hangs in her music rack.

I lost one my and only full size Hammond and Leslie in a too-young marriage.
I've never had another one.. 600+ pounds is too much for an old fart.
I carry a Suzuki XK2 Hammond these days.. easier to tote about.. but not the Real Thing.

ESP are nice guitars too, and affordable.
My daughter was endorsed by ESP, and has a closet full of them.

14 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I was thinking about picking up a reasonably priced axe, even though it's been many years since I did any pickin or strummin. :lol: Many years.

I was looking at an Oscar Schmidt the other day. Seemed to have a nice sound.

What do youse professional musicians think?

I'm not a professional musician. Heck, I'm not a particularly good one. I have played a number of different guitars and have my likes and dislikes based on that experience.

You didn't say whether you picked up an electric or an acoustic. I've never seen or handled an Oscar Schmidt electric, but they do make a pretty nice acoustic for the price. We have a number of guitars in our house, including an Oscar Schmidt acoustic and two Alvarez acoustics. While I like the Oscar Schmidt, I do believe the Alvarez guitars are slightly better. All said, If it played well for you, felt good in your hands and had a nice sound, I say that answers your question.

If you're talking electric, I'm partial to Epiphone. Made by Gibson, but much cheaper. I simply have no experience with Oscar Schmidt electrics to say.

You could also check out the " Baby Martin", affordable but it's a smaller scale, well made plays great! $329.00

image.png.740ad79996635cb6f34e0a372ffa91f0.png

My son had a couple of electric Epiphones. They were pretty nice. I'm looking for a flat top acoustic.

6 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

My son had a couple of electric Epiphones. They were pretty nice. I'm looking for a flat top acoustic.

Then you could do a lot worse than an Oscar Schmidt. Concert or dreadnaught? All three of our acoustics are concert.

Sassparilla Kid has six or seven guitars, and his favorite acoustic is his Taylor Big Baby, which he bought maybe fifteen years ago.  It's just slightly below standard dreadnaught size (15/16).  I don't play; he does, and quite well, and he's been pretty pleased with it.  

Several on Ebay for significantly less than a new one.

UB 

I used to play , simi pro , for many years , I was a bass player most of the time , I did get into playing some other stuff , banjo , mandlilon , and a bit if reg guitar 

I have kept my  ef341mc , and a couple of basses . gave my step daughter my Ovation , after I repaired her Jasime , some broke the neck on it , 

I have had several brands through the years , Applase is the down line , of Ovation , Jasime is the down line of Takamine 

Takamine was started by folks who had left Martin , as the story was told to me , 

Chickasaw Bill 

6 hours ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Bob you can check these folks out. I have gotten two through them.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/

Yeah I used to get stuff for my son from them.

2 minutes ago, DocWard said:

@Utah Bob #35998, did you try the Oscar Schmidt out at a guitar shop? Just curious, because I'm all about shopping local as well as being able to try before you buy.

Unfortunately we have no local shops. 

Just now, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Unfortunately we have no local shops. 

I knew you were in a pretty remote area, but when you said you were looking at one, I thought it might be a possibility.

Archived