SASS Wire Forum

Ladies in Plainsman Event - bending the duelist rule

William Waddy

We don't have Plainsman side matches around here anymore.  Haven't had it for a number of years.  Whatever will increase participation, (and bring back Plainsman), would be most welcome!

4 hours ago, McCandless said:

We don't have Plainsman side matches around here anymore.  Haven't had it for a number of years.  Whatever will increase participation, (and bring back Plainsman), would be most welcome!

We've actually been doing pretty well. At both our Huntsman World Senior Games match (coming up next week) and the Four Corners Regional Match (April) we've been getting around 20 plainsman shooters. Might have to split into 2 posses :)

Thanks for all the comments. I've now decided that at our major matches, which includes the Huntsman World Senior Games in October, and the Legends Four Corners Regional in April, we will have the following categories at our Plainsman Events. I'm not trying to impose this on anyone else - this is just how we are going to do our Plainsman Events. All SASS Plainsman rules will apply, except as noted below. Come on out to one of our matches!

Men’s Categories:

·      Traditional – Rifle shall not have spring ejector. Pistols must be shot duelist style (includes double-duelist).

·      Modern – Rifle may have spring ejector (e.g., handi-rifle). Pistols must be shot duelist style (includes double-duelist).

·      Open – Any approved plainsman rifle. Pistols may be shot any style, including two-handed or gunfighter.

Ladies’ Categories:

·      Modern – Any approved plainsman rifle. Pistols must be shot duelist style (includes double-duelist).

·      Open – Any approved plainsman rifle. Pistols may be shot any style, including two-handed or gunfighter.

On 10/2/2019 at 12:44 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Bravo, William! Thank you for recognizing the need to be inclusive in Plainsman categories!

I appreciate knowing that I could go to those matches and shoot Plainsperson! ;) :D

I get the plainsman thing too and simply call it our "Plains Event" now. :)

Just add one more category, modern frontiersman where two handed shooting is allowed. LEAVE FRONTIERSMAN ALONE!

On 9/26/2019 at 8:42 PM, Assassin said:

I enjoyed Plainsman when we threw hawks, lances, knives, dragged dummies, and shot bow and arrows. It was a unique event that wasn't for everyone, it was fun to watch. Now it's just about shooting the guns. Who wants to do a 12 stage old fashioned Plainsman event?

Go to the side match day for the Sand Creek Raiders Halloween match, they had a bunch of stuff like that last year, I expect they will this year as well.

Yeah, it's fun. A little too far for me to drive. Used to shoot there every month for years when Belle lived in Longmont. There's something about cap and ball pistols, single shot rifles, along with all the other stuff. 

Plainsman Down Under started with a 2nd category for cartridge guns...that worked as it developed an interest...now of course it is run "right"...and is working.  At the recent SASS regional here the Plainsman match had more than 20 shooters....including a 12 year old girl which is way cool! :D

We never had nor relied on dummies, knives, hawks or bows and arrows....it IS a shooting event after all..... YMMV....

• 2 weeks later...

Final follow up. Held the Plains Event at Huntsman World Senior Games, including "open" men and lady categories. Nobody complained and it seemed to go very well. Definitely planning to offer these open categories in the Plains Event for the Legends Four Corners Regional match in April.

PLUS ONE too LOU GRAHAM.  You betcha.

And, I'll offer this for all you stick-in-the-Mudds.  SASS/CAS ain't growing.  Just take a peek at your loading table line.  The only resource you have for more fun with Planesman are the ladies.  The ladies we ALREADY have.  And OLD guys.  Some really OLD guys.  Think about it.  Make it harder???  Atz Stupid.

Hello, 

just responding to the posts regarding the plainsman shoot and styles...we shoot a 10 stage Plainsman match each year at our local club in Gladstone billed as the Queensland State Championship, men, ladies and juniors all shoot according to the SASS rules regarding firearms without any difficulty, also, at our regional match each year Chisolm Trail we have a 4 scenario Plainsman side match,again with a mixed brace of ages and genders... no thoughts over here to change any of it..leave it alone please, this side match is growing in popularity each year over here ( we have two categories, Plainsman and Plainsman Traditional both include ladies categories) 

Question has been raised if people could shoot it with smokeless and lever guns..response was sorry no, just aint right

18 hours ago, James Wishbone Kincaid said:

Hello, 

just responding to the posts regarding the plainsman shoot and styles...we shoot a 10 stage Plainsman match each year at our local club in Gladstone billed as the Queensland State Championship, men, ladies and juniors all shoot according to the SASS rules regarding firearms without any difficulty, also, at our regional match each year Chisolm Trail we have a 4 scenario Plainsman side match,again with a mixed brace of ages and genders... no thoughts over here to change any of it..leave it alone please, this side match is growing in popularity each year over here ( we have two categories, Plainsman and Plainsman Traditional both include ladies categories) 

Question has been raised if people could shoot it with smokeless and lever guns..response was sorry no, just aint right

Do you make accommodations for people with medical issues in any category where there is no alternate category they can shoot in? For example, I cannot shoot duelist style; but I can shoot two-handed in any age-based category. So no accommodation is needed in the main match. My question is about a "reasonable accommodation" not a different category. BTW I would gladly take a P or drop the cocking hand to be able to shoot a Plainsman side match.  I assure you that the P would be more advantageous than dropping the cocking hand.

PPS To those of you who cannot be convinced to accommodate people like me: Could I shoot L  Plainsman and just have my score placed below all others in an Open Category? LOL, I have been the only L Plainsman shooter many times, even when I could shoot duelist style. What would you do then?

32 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

PPS To those of you who cannot be convinced to accommodate people like me: Could I shoot L  Plainsman and just have my score placed below all others in an Open Category? LOL, I have been the only L Plainsman shooter many times, even when I could shoot duelist style. What would you do then?

If'n I was runnin the match ya could do anything you needed to in order to be able to shoot. Come to Bar 3 - you can shoot any way you want.  :)

Archived