SASS Wire Forum

Load assist for 45 rifle

Roscoe Regulator

I have acquired a like-new JM Marlin 1894CB Cowboy Ltd in 45 Colt and am trying to locate a gadget to push rounds into the loading gate. I have a 10-round tube and stick for my 357 and would like something similar but maybe only 5 round. Either that or just the short poker with a ball and loop on the end. That would prevent getting pinched. Any help appreciated.

I made my own with dowel rod and wood cabinet door knob. Also had a friend that used antler piece and dowel rod for muzzle loader bullet starter. I bought it and use to load my 73. He used part of main beam where 2 times branched so it is 3 sided handle. A simple solution would be a cheap black powder bullet starter.

PM me your address and I’ll send you a deer antler one that I build.

13 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

can buy one type here--scroll down

https://classicoldwestarms.com/specialty-items/

He said his doesn't fit 45 Colt because the tube is too big. Thanks for that though.

10 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

You pick the wood.... $30.00

Loader[1].jpg

I would not want this to scratch off the bluing and feel more comfortable with wood. Nicely made though. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I would not want this to scratch off the bluing and feel more comfortable with wood. Nicely made though. Thanks.

The tips are made from a used case. You are already shoving a live round in.

Just use your little finger... the only other thing you use it for is pickin' yer nose... and as it gets sliced infinitely shorter from your loading gate, you'll find that you don't pick your nose as much... once it's nearly useless for that activity... all of a sudden you'll find yourself invited to upscale society whindings, maybe even hi profile political fundraisers and such... 

Or, if that doesn't appeal to ya, use the suggestions above.  ;):D

After checking a couple stores for honey dippers, I checked for materials at Walmart, and this is what I ended up fashioning for under $4. Could end up shorter, but I thought I would start at 6". I have enough material and components left to make three more.

WP_20190928_001.jpg

16 hours ago, Doc X said:

3/4" wood balls, bag of 6 = $1.99 at Hobby Lobby

5/16 by 3' hardwood dowel = .69 at Hobby Lobby

About 10 minutes with a 5/16 drill and a fine tooth hobby saw.

IMG_5403.JPG

Nice, but I wouldn't consider drilling that hole perfectly to be trivial. The 5/16" (.3125) dowel size is good for at least .357 caliber. For my 45 caliber I picked 7/16" dowel (.4375), and the knob assortment I found fit perfectly, close enough to glue, no drilling except for the lanyard hole, which didn't need to be perfectly placed. I would prefer the ball you have, but I kept it simple. 

PM me if you want a 3" honey dipper. I wanted one for seating caps on my 1860's and got 65 for 12 bucks from Amazon.

7 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Nice, but I wouldn't consider drilling that hole perfectly to be trivial. The 5/16" (.3125) dowel size is good for at least .357 caliber. For my 45 caliber I picked 7/16" dowel (.4375), and the knob assortment I found fit perfectly, close enough to glue, no drilling except for the lanyard hole, which didn't need to be perfectly placed. I would prefer the ball you have, but I kept it simple. 

I didn't consider it trivial either. Used a vertical mill, indicated the ball dead center plus or minus .002 and controlled depth to plus or minus .005 on all I've built. I found the dowel out of round enough that I get a nice tight fit without glue, but the dowel will still be replaceable. I went with 5/16 since I use a .357 Uberti for a main match rifle, but I did try it on both my .45LC and .44Mag Marlins and it worked good. I agree though that 7/16 dowel would be better, probably would go up to a 1" ball too. It carries nice in a belt loop so I skipped the lanyard.  

On 9/28/2019 at 8:39 AM, Roscoe Regulator said:

After checking a couple stores for honey dippers, I checked for materials at Walmart, and this is what I ended up fashioning for under $4. Could end up shorter, but I thought I would start at 6". I have enough material and components left to make three more.

WP_20190928_001.jpg

Real similar to one I made. 6 inches also makes it possible to use as squib rod for pistol. Ask me how I know.

I just use a pencil..........unsharpened of course

Bugler

Archived