SASS Wire Forum

Just have to show them off... Kirst/Pietta 1860 .45 Colts

Tuolumne Lawman 6127

Just have to brag and gloat a bit.  The 8" is a standard Pietta 1860 .44 with a Walt Kirst gated "Saber River" engraved Konverter and ejector rod.  The recoil shield has been milled with a channel for loading/unloading cartridges.  The other is a Taylor's exclusive 3" inch barrel 1860 snub nose with a humped backstrap Thunderer style bird's head grip.  It  also has a Kirst gated Konverter with the recoil shield milled for ejecting.  I named in my "Avenging Angel" after Tom Berenger's 3" barreled 1860 in the Movie of the same name.

VraWq3u.jpg

u3NqrLt.jpg

1CLIvrA.jpg

oW96mZb.jpg

Thank you all~  I did the work. The Saber River set came with the engraving on the cylinder and ejector.

I have done three prior gated Kirst (a 1851 44, and two 1858 Remingtons) and aPale Rider Remington.  the 44 caliber 1851 Kirst was July's Chronicle article, and the 1858s are in the October issue.  The snub nose 3" will be April, and the Saber River 1860 will be next July.

1858s:

1N39VyH.jpg

1858 Pale Rider:

4yhSP9p.jpg

1851 44 Yank:

ni24Bae.jpg

nzvzhsK.jpg

The nice thing is that no FFL is needed.  Just buy a BP revolver and use a Konverter.  Remmie Pale Rider needs no modification, and the gated, it takes about an hour to do the channel with a Dremel and 1/2 60 and 120 grit sanding drums.  The ejectors on both Remmies and Colts are just direct replacement. On the Remmie, it is attached to the cyinder pin, and the Colts it replaces the Rammer assembly.  On the Colts, they tend to work better on the Piettas than Ubertis, but the 1858s  work equally well on both.  1858s units are drop in, and the Colt usually require a little fitment because of the Italian gorillas love of beating wedges in with hammers.

2 hours ago, Tuolumne Lawman 6127 said:

Remmie Pale Rider needs no modification, and the gated, it takes about an hour to do the channel with a Dremel and 1/2 60 and 120 grit sanding drums. 

Unless you do stainless ubertis like i did... then its an angle grinder with a cut off wheel to hog out metal, over 100 60 grit sanding drums, and 5 hours of cussing...lol...

but they turned out sooo nice!!!!

IMG_20181212_123035.jpg

I think I got really lucky with this pistol.   The grips, case hardening, deepness of the blue are all really great.  As far as the conversion work goes, I just shipped it to Kirst and had them install everything themselves.   It was worth it.

I really do like conversions.   In addition to this 1860, I've got a Walker, Dragoon, 5 58's, one of which is a real Remmington, and Rogers and Spencer.   

I heard recently that both Howell and Kirst are planning to shut down in the near future, the owner of a gunshop in Tombstone told me, so I am seriously contemplating getting the two .36 Colts while I still can.

Walt is NOT shutting down,  I just talked to him last week and he is actually planning on expanding a bit with barrel lining on 36s.

Archived