SASS Wire Forum

Miracles of the Universe

Abilene Slim SASS 81783

As mentioned in another thread, we were visiting my son and wife in Flagstaff this past weekend. This was my 4th trip to the Grand Canyon over the last 11 years and it takes my breath away every time. View is from the South Rim looking down on Indian Garden and Plateau Point along the Bright Angel trail.

We also went to the Lowell Observatory and peered thru several telescopes, but not the main one which is off limits. Shown below is me peering through the Clark Telescope at a cluster of space dust 33,000 light years away. Looked like a dandelion. Scope was built in 1896! We also peered thru two smaller scopes. Another was looking at a gas cloud from a dead star 2,000 light years away. We finished by looking at the rings of Saturn which is a "short" 8 light minutes away. Any of them would be great scopes for long range shooting. ^_^

Wonderful stuff.

P90gIqg.jpg

y7iSULC.jpg

OTuwgcC.jpg

It’s amazing what you can see when you’re far from the light pollution of the city. I was gazing at the Milky Way last night till it got a bit too chilly.

7 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I suppose nothing beats an observatory, but one of my goals is to spend a few nights in a dark sky preserve.i think black canyon of the Gunnison is one. Most are “out west”. With the biggest being in Alberta, Canada.

My wife and I are visiting Big Bend  National Park over Christmas.  It’s supposedly a dark place where the night sky is extra visible.  Looking forward to it.

My wife and I spent many summers camping in Northern Ontario along side a remote lake. With the exception of our camp fire the nearest artificial light was forty  five air miles away. On a clear night the stars reflecting off the lake was spectacular and the northern lights were awe inspiring. It really showed the majesty of the Lord

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

My wife and I are visiting Big Bend  National Park over Christmas.  It’s supposedly a dark place where the night sky is extra visible.  Looking forward to it.

New moon dec 26 too.  And Big Bend is a Dark Sky Park.

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Swing by the McDonald Observatory near Ft Davis

Archived