SASS Wire Forum

Do you lube your shotgun shells?

Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

After checking them in a full length checker, I wipe them down with Amour-All on a shop paper towel and box em up. The ones that are tight in the checker I re-check in the guns chamber and have never had a problem shucking or the wife's '97 not extracting. The Armour-All cleans the dust off and I don't find them to be slippery when I use them. Now using STS hulls, but didn't have much issue with AA's either, although some would bulge from the wad and go into practice just to be safe. They still fit in my SxS however.

I am one who has found the steel base shells to be an issue in my Stoeger, ya gotta break it over your knee to get it open. Shot 4 and called it good. Was just checking for a Pard at a match and will never put them in one of my guns again. YMMV

Don't know if it would make any difference, but I rarely clean the chambers/barrels in my shotgun either! Maybe once during the season and the hulls just drop out. I do clean when I get home if I used black powder, but same thing , goes a whole match without issue. Been working that way for 8 years now. Also, never use factory shells, only reloads with 700x or Clay-Dot

I just racking my poor little head, trying to remember EVER seeing the DUKE stop to grease his Shotgun Hulls.  Or even lube up a box before a fight.  Of course the Duke did flush a Peasant and shot it with BOTH barrels (insurance).   Bet the duke didn't wander around with a can of Pam in his hip pocket.

9 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I just racking my poor little head, trying to remember EVER seeing the DUKE stop to grease his Shotgun Hulls.  Or even lube up a box before a fight.  Of course the Duke did flush a Peasant and shot it with BOTH barrels (insurance).   Bet the duke didn't wander around with a can of Pam in his hip pocket.

You are right of course. But then they might just say CUT. And do 10-12 takes before they got it right.  

And that would be after 5-6 special effects workers run in to fix it.

Wish I could yell cut in the middle of a bad run so I could redo it.

9 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I wasn't thinking about the Duke, but I usually ask meowndangself....... I say,  "Self, what would Ben

Cartwright do"?

..........Widder

I think temperature & humidity changes affect each lube. I think that's why when I used Breakfree, Ballistol, & Silicone spray each for awhile until they didn't work anymore, it was probably during temp & humidity changes that caused the shotshells to stick. My current method (above) seems to work in all situations. Also, when it's hot, I don't let the direct sunlight rest on my shells. I always cover them with a towel or something so they don't get too hot & expand.

Archived