SASS Wire Forum

Two Wrongs

Subdeacon Joe

4 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

What IS that B&W checkered ...... whatever??

Canadair CF-104 Starfighter, CAF (Serial No. 104785), checkerboard paint scheme, 441 Silver Fox Tactical Fighter Sqn, CFB Baden-Soellingen, Germany.

http://silverhawkauthor.com/canadian-warplanes-6-jets-canadair-cf104-starfighter_677.html

12 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

What IS that B&W checkered ...... whatever??

Dazzle camouflage.

1BE20AF8-19D7-4A09-8831-15C0837E035B.jpeg

2C4082C0-1CE6-4910-AE20-D201B79FD87F.jpeg

I'm trying to imagine trying to hold and shoot that SMLE.

And the muzzle blast!!!

30 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I'm trying to imagine trying to hold and shoot that SMLE.

And the muzzle blast!!!

Me too...Actually, I am imagining someone else firing it.  Not me.

What's the matter?

Not healed up enough from your M/C crash?

How are you doing btw?

The Lee Enfield is the worst by far... what a waste of a classic rifle... (OK..there's millions of them ...but still...that's just wrong).

The Starfighter?   Meh... Paint isn't permanent...it was probably done for some special purpose....  Might have been like the Assembly aircraft the USAAC used in WW2.

448th-b24.jpg

The dazzle painted ships OTOH..... THAT was actually a very effective system.... made it hard to tell even which direction the ship was steaming!      It did lead to comments though in the Royal navy...when applied to old ships....  "Looks like some old Portsmouth tart in her daughters summer dress"!  lol

On 9/27/2019 at 3:05 AM, Constable Nelson #11784 said:

The Lee Enfield is the worst by far... what a waste of a classic rifle... (OK..there's millions of them ...but still...that's just wrong).

The Starfighter?   Meh... Paint isn't permanent...it was probably done for some special purpose....  Might have been like the Assembly aircraft the USAAC used in WW2.

448th-b24.jpg

The checkerboard design makes easier to analyze the film later. Like on the rockets,

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 6:50 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The checkerboard design makes easier to analyze the film later. Like on the rockets,

True...for rocket tests.   The bombers were painted that way to give the REST of the group something readily identifiable to build their formation on...…  The patterns used varied WILDLY....white with multicoloured polka dots was a good one......lol

b17.jpg

Archived