SASS Wire Forum

That was a close one.

Smokestack SASS#87384

Good stage, a lot of movement and all 4 1.  Just got to remember which pistol to pull last.   Thanks for sharing.

One of my favorites at the GFBJL. Thanks Smokestack.

Or, Gunfighter, shoot first five shots & stage pistols on pine box with hammers down on fired cases. Shoot four shotgun targets, discard shotgun O & E, then shoot 2nd string of five shots.

32 minutes ago, Keystone, SASS # 47578 said:

Or, Gunfighter, shoot first five shots & stage pistols on pine box with hammers down on fired cases. Shoot four shotgun targets, discard shotgun O & E, then shoot 2nd string of five shots.

You have to move downrange with both pistols and the shotgun and per GF rules you can't reholster the pistols.

Yeah, I can see GF's grumble about it. They don't really like having to shoot DD. No, I don't shoot GF, but I do try to write GF friendly stages.

2 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Yeah, I can see GF's grumble about it. They don't really like having to shoot DD. No, I don't shoot GF, but I do try to write GF friendly stages.

I'm a gunfighter - shooting DD is no big deal if a stage calls for it.  

GG ~ :FlagAm:

24 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

There were quite a few GFers on Posse 2, myself included and I didn’t hear any grumbling. A GFer has to be able to adapt. Having those SG knock downs set up so you could shoot them like ground sluicing quail was a lot of fun. I took down 3 with one shot and then had to use two for the last one with my 16 gauge 97, rats.

14 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

So how does a gunfighter handle this?   Double Duelist? 

If there it's a table there to safely stage.  Just shoot five stage your guns , shotgun and resume. just re read the stage instructions.    Have to go Dd no big deal

Don't see no hangin offense there! The option of maybe using less than 4 shot shells is pretty neat. When I first saw 2+ I thought it was a typo.

28 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Don't see no hangin offense there! The option of maybe using less than 4 shot shells is pretty neat. When I first saw 2+ I thought it was a typo.

A few years ago Smokestack put out some feelers about what he could do as MD to inject a little more variety and enjoyment into the matches that he puts on and I suggested setting up the SG knockdowns occasionally so that more than one could go down and you wouldn’t have to fire an extra shot, hence the 2+. When he first started setting them up this way I was about the only one on our posse to attempt it. This weekend at the GFBJL most of our posse tried it. There were some 4+ stages where you could take down multiples with one shot but you still had to fire at least four rounds.

On this particular stage if you aimed just right you may have been able to take down all four with one shot.

2 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

If there it's a table there to safely stage.  Just shoot five stage your guns , shotgun and resume. just re read the stage instructions.    Have to go Dd no big deal

Could you not stage the pistols on the table, then come back for them after the shotgun?

And as a gunfighter I would grumble. No other category is forced to shoot a stage differently than gunfighters. i don't mind split pistols at all, just as long as there is an option for me to stage pistols and continue to shoot gunfighter if I choose. If other gunfighters wish to shoot it DD, that's perfectly fine, but at no time should shooting DD be mandatory.

24 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Could you not stage the pistols on the table, then come back for them after the shotgun?

And as a gunfighter I would grumble. No other category is forced to shoot a stage differently than gunfighters. i don't mind split pistols at all, just as long as there is an option for me to stage pistols and continue to shoot gunfighter if I choose. If other gunfighters wish to shoot it DD, that's perfectly fine, but at no time should shooting DD be mandatory.

It's just a perk of gf.  No other category has to purposely slow down to make sure a spotter can keep up. The more clubs I attend the more I see match writers purposely trying to slow us down. Don't let it bother you just smile and enjoy yourself. 

4 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

It's just a perk of gf.  No other category has to purposely slow down to make sure a spotter can keep up. The more clubs I attend the more I see match writers purposely trying to slow us down. Don't let it bother you just smile and enjoy yourself. 

HAHA. Maybe I should come shoot at those places with you. They'll think twice about trying to slow me down. They'd probably spend all the next match prep time trying to figure out how to speed me up

6 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

HAHA. Maybe I should come shoot at those places with you. They'll think twice about trying to slow me down. They'd probably spend all the next match prep time trying to figure out how to speed me up

It just makes winning more enjoyable when you know you overcame the handicap.  See it as a challenge not a punishment.  

55 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I don’t know, sometimes being forced out of your comfort zone is a good thing. It’s not like we have to do it every stage. A GF could have shot the two targets GF staged the guns on the pine box, l grabbed the SG and moved to the barrel and knocked down the KDs and moved back to the pine box and picked up his revolvers and moved back to the barrel to finish up but why would you? One thing about Smokestacks stage writing is that he very rarely writes a stage that splits the pistols up like this. They’ll do it up at Cajon occasionally.

Just now, Yul Lose said:

I don’t know, sometimes being forced out of your comfort zone is a good thing. It’s not like we have to do it every stage. A GF could have shot the two targets GF staged the guns on the pine box, l grabbed the SG and moved to the barrel and knocked down the KDs and moved back to the pine box and picked up his revolvers and moved back to the barrel to finish up but why would you? One thing about Smokestacks stage writing is that he very rarely writes a stage that splits the pistols up like this. They’ll do it up at Cajon occasionally.

That is exactly how I would shoot it. Why? Because I signed up to shoot gunfighter, so I will shoot it gunfighter no matter how much back and forth running I might have to do. I am still young enough and fleet of foot that the extra steps wouldn't sow me down any more than my shooting might. I personally hate shooting duelist unless I have tailored my loads for it, as with 35 grains of BP under a 250 grain bullet makes the recoil between shots seem a very long time. I don't notice it at all when shooting gunfighter because I am aiming and shooting with the other gun while the recoil is happening.

I get what you say about comfort zone, and that is fine. What I hate is when non gunfighters chime in about something they know nothing about. I would love to see how many of them grumble if you made a two handed shooter shoot duelist, or a duelist shoot two handed. As for smokestack's stages, I haven't had the opportunity to shoot one yet, but I look forward to it. They look like a lot of fun.

18 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

That is exactly how I would shoot it. Why? Because I signed up to shoot gunfighter, so I will shoot it gunfighter no matter how much back and forth running I might have to do. I am still young enough and fleet of foot that the extra steps wouldn't sow me down any more than my shooting might. I personally hate shooting duelist unless I have tailored my loads for it, as with 35 grains of BP under a 250 grain bullet makes the recoil between shots seem a very long time. I don't notice it at all when shooting gunfighter because I am aiming and shooting with the other gun while the recoil is happening.

I get what you say about comfort zone, and that is fine. What I hate is when non gunfighters chime in about something they know nothing about. I would love to see how many of them grumble if you made a two handed shooter shoot duelist, or a duelist shoot two handed. As for smokestack's stages, I haven't had the opportunity to shoot one yet, but I look forward to it. They look like a lot of fun.

I agree on the GF part but some of us ain’t up to doin all traveling you young pups are. Smokestacks stages are a lot of fun. The thing for you to do is when Cajon gets back up and running come to the south land and hit Cajon on the fourth Saturday and The Cowboys at Norco on Sunday. Bear Trap up at Cajon knows how to write some fun stages too. They both write them a little different with different targets, sizes and placement and FUN.

1 minute ago, Yul Lose said:

I agree on the GF part but some of us ain’t up to doin all traveling you young pups are. Smokestacks stages are a lot of fun. The thing for you to do is when Cajon gets back up and running come to the south land and hit Cajon on the fourth Saturday and The Cowboys at Norco on Sunday. Bear Trap up at Cajon knows how to write some fun stages too. They both write them a little different with different targets, sizes and placement and FUN.

Sounds like a plan. I'll bring my 2nd gen colt 1851's I bought from none other than bear trap and use those gunfighter out of my cavalry draw holsters. Very slow, but a whole lot of style points.

1 hour ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Sounds like a plan. I'll bring my 2nd gen colt 1851's I bought from none other than bear trap and use those gunfighter out of my cavalry draw holsters. Very slow, but a whole lot of style points.

Can’t wait. You can even stay at mi casa and I’ll show you around.

3 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

LOL. I assure you, the intent wasn’t to slow anyone down as I am certain that the fastest way to shoot this stage would be as a double duelist, and every single category has that option available to them. Gunfighter style has its advantages and disadvantages as does every other style in the game. Gunfighters often bemoan the fact that they must have discernible separation of shots but never bring up the fact that they are the only ones even allowed two loaded revolvers in hand. 

This stage was written because it was a test of transitions for all categories and not having seen one quite like it in the last 9 years, I figured for maybe just one stage, all of the other categories might not be limited by the tastes of some of those who shoot gunfighter. IMO, it’s not fair to allow one category to dictate stage design 100% of the time. 

5 minutes ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

LOL. I assure you, the intent wasn’t to slow anyone down as I am certain that the fastest way to shoot this stage would be as a double duelist, and every single category has that option available to them. Gunfighter style has its advantages and disadvantages as does every other style in the game. Gunfighters often bemoan the fact that they must have discernible separation of shots but never bring up the fact that they are the only ones even allowed two loaded revolvers in hand. 

This stage was written because it was a test of transitions for all categories and not having seen one quite like it in the last 9 years, I figured for maybe just one stage, all of the other categories might not be limited by the tastes of some of those who shoot gunfighter. IMO, it’s not fair to allow one category to dictate stage design 100% of the time. 

I’ve commented a time or two in the past at Cowboys matches that you’re screwing with the GFers on occasion, but if you consider it seriously we should be able to adapt to shoot a stage DD on occasion if the stage is written that way. I’m pretty sure nearly all Jedis would agree. Don’t change a thing, Mike, I’m a fan.

3 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Surely you see the difference in writing a stage where a gunfighter has to shoot DD and writing a stage where a two handed shooter would. But just in case you don’t, a two handed shooter doesn’t often if ever shoot unsupported with their weak hand whereas a gunfighter dies on every stage of every single match. One is a safety issue and the other, well.....

1 hour ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

Surely you see the difference in writing a stage where a gunfighter has to shoot DD and writing a stage where a two handed shooter would. But just in case you don’t, a two handed shooter doesn’t often if ever shoot unsupported with their weak hand whereas a gunfighter dies on every stage of every single match. One is a safety issue and the other, well.....

I wasn’t comparing them from a safety stand point, rather from a complaining point of view. Heck, folks complain about having different rifle and pistol strings calling it a P trap. And while shooting DD as a gunfighter isn’t nearly a safety issue, it does pose the same type of muscle memory issues. When I grab pistols, I always grab pistolS. Plural. Just answer me this, what other scenario forces any other shooting style to shoot outside their shooting category? 

3 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I wasn’t comparing them from a safety stand point, rather from a complaining point of view. Heck, folks complain about having different rifle and pistol strings calling it a P trap. And while shooting DD as a gunfighter isn’t nearly a safety issue, it does pose the same type of muscle memory issues. When I grab pistols, I always grab pistolS. Plural. Just answer me this, what other scenario forces any other shooting style to shoot outside their shooting category? 

Shooting outside your category is a progressive penalty. Procedural, SDQ, MDQ. I’ve never seen a. Stage force anyone to do that. 

28 minutes ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

Shooting outside your category is a progressive penalty. Procedural, SDQ, MDQ. I’ve never seen a. Stage force anyone to do that. 

Except gunfighter of course 

24 minutes ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

You may want to brush up on the Gunfighter category rules. 

Just because DD is allowed in gunfighter category, doesn’t in anyway mean it needs to be mandatory. Tell me where it says that in the rules? 

Archived