SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873 Magazine Tube Insert

Bloody Glen Bob

I have an Uberti 1873 357/38, 20 " barrel. Is the magazine tube insert worth purchasing? Aluminum or carbon fiber? Does anyone have the specs for the tube, diameter, thickness, etc.

I have a McMaster Carr supply about 2 miles from me.....

Thanks

Bloody Glen Bob

I got one several years ago, the carbon fiber one from slick. I was getting a hiccup in my 73 every now and then. After I installed the insert, spring, and follower the problem stopped. I have them in all my 357 73’s now.

I put one of the 38/357 composite sleeves in my Uberti 1873, 32 WCF (32-20) when I had a feeding issue. Turns out that wasn't the problem but I left it in seeing as the magazine tube is the 45 Colt tube size they use in all caliber rifles they make. Plus the 32-20 is such a narrow cartridge anyway. Haven't put any in my other 1873's.

12 hours ago, Bloody Glen Bob said:

I have an Uberti 1873 357/38, 20 " barrel. Is the magazine tube insert worth purchasing? Aluminum or carbon fiber? Does anyone have the specs for the tube, diameter, thickness, etc.

I have a McMaster Carr supply about 2 miles from me.....

Thanks

Bloody Glen Bob

Yes, it got rid of the occasional hiccup in my rifle. You will need a smaller diameter spring and follower.  Outlaw Gambler sells the magazine tube, spring and follower on the SASS Merchant Classifields..  

1 hour ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I have the aluminum one in two of my rifles and my wife's rifle.  We are very pleased with them.

Same here.. Aluminum in both my '73's..

With the stainless steel spring and follower..

They seem to load easier..

I just pulled them both about a week ago for cleaning..

They hadn't been pulled and cleaned for approximately 2 years..

No ceasing or excess dirt was found but I don't shoot as

much as a lot of cowpokes..

Have to say I'm happy with them..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I ain't a gunsmith tho.. :blink:

I agree with what others have said.   My advice (If I were you) I would just buy a tube insert kit from  someone who makes and sells them.  There’s MORE TO IT than just a tube, and you can get them made from various materials.

I got a kit from Slick McClade.  He calls his kit a “1873 Bullet Alignment Kit”.  You can Google search him and find his web site.  Outlaw Gambler was another suggested source (a composite tube).

Cat Brules

On 9/24/2019 at 10:02 PM, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

I got one several years ago, the carbon fiber one from slick. I was getting a hiccup in my 73 every now and then. After I installed the insert, spring, and follower the problem stopped. I have them in all my 357 73’s now.

Hershey Barr got a couple after talking to you. My 73 is doing the same thing! I'm ordering one today!

Thanks!!

Archived