SASS Wire Forum

Trying a new whisky this evening

Utah Bob #35998

Okay maybe not this evening there’s still a wee bit o’ MacAllan 12 left. :)

3B8B0F30-3B32-4619-A96A-A1BF7AD4A3FC.jpeg

We’ll need a critique.

My kind of toothpaste.

B4D56A00-4D16-47D8-9BCC-60860F522649.jpeg

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Okay maybe not this evening there’s still a wee bit o’ MacAllan 12 left. :)

3B8B0F30-3B32-4619-A96A-A1BF7AD4A3FC.jpeg

Eagerly awaiting your assessment!

Well I did a comparison tasting. Put the Jura up against the Macallan 12 double cask. In reading about the Jura it seems they revamped their line in 2017, crafting a friendlier, less peaty variety.

Not being a Scotch connoisseur it’s hard for me to judge intelligently...well it’s hard for me to do pretty much anything intelligently so let me put it this way. 

Being primarily a Bourbon drinker I think I’ll compare the two to that classic Southern beverage. In fact, now that I think of it, they share certain similarities. Both the Scots and the Southerners have an historical distrust of big government. They both tend to be looked down upon by the “Established Higher Society” as rough and unsophisticated. They tend to be rebellious and have occasionally opened up cans of whupass. So it seems fair to compare their whisk(e)y.

So I’ll do that.

Tomorrow.

8 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Well I did a comparison tasting. Put the Jura up against the Macallan 12 double cask. In reading about the Jura it seems they revamped their line in 2017, crafting a friendlier, less peaty variety.

Not being a Scotch connoisseur it’s hard for me to judge intelligently...well it’s hard for me to do pretty much anything intelligently so let me put it this way. 

Being primarily a Bourbon drinker I think I’ll compare the two to that classic Southern beverage. In fact, now that I think of it, they share certain similarities. Both the Scots and the Southerners have an historical distrust of big government. They both tend to be looked down upon by the “Established Higher Society” as rough and unsophisticated. They tend to be rebellious and have occasionally opened up cans of whupass. So it seems fair to compare their whisk(e)y.

So I’ll do that.

Tomorrow.

If you haven't done so, you might enjoy reading Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America, by Jim Webb. 

52 minutes ago, DocWard said:

If you haven't done so, you might enjoy reading Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America, by Jim Webb. 

Yes, that’s an excellent analysis of the Scots-Irish culture in the South. 

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

It explains quite a bit!

I know you speak of whisky but heres one bourbon and also a rye that has won me over.  Both are superb and the Rye makes a first rate Old Fashioned or just Neat.  Won't break the bank either

Devils River

Devils River Rye

51 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

I know you speak of whisky but heres one bourbon and also a rye that has won me over.  Both are superb and the Rye makes a first rate Old Fashioned or just Neat.  Won't break the bank either

Devils River

Devils River Rye

Not bad stuff. I am basically a Bourbon drinker, and it remains my go to spirit. I’ve just been trying Scotch lately.

Good ones, not the cheap crap I had in my misspent youth. :)

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Not bad stuff. I am basically a Bourbon drinker, and it remains my go to spirit. I’ve just been trying Scotch lately.

Good ones, not the cheap crap I had in my misspent youth. :)

You mean you miss the smell and flavor of formaldehyde? :P

5 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

You mean you miss the smell and flavor of formaldehyde? :P

My brother in law drank cheap Scotch and I would drink it with him. I thought it was an acquired taste. :D

Okay here’s my opinionated opinion. Having another glass tonight. Without tasting it with the 

Macallan.

As I mentioned, being a Bourbonophile, my best reference is the beloved Southern classic.

The Jura seems somewhat like a manly bourbon on first  introduction. Tonight I added a few drops of water and the difference was noticeable as it is with many brands of uisge beatha .

I think that Jura compares favorably with a good Rye, which I also like. It has a nice smoky quality that’s not overpowering like some too peaty varieties. 80 proof and pretty smooth with a slight peppery quality and, as I mentioned, a bit of campfire smoke key on the finish. The Macallan on the other hand has shares some similar characteristics with a Makers Mark or Basil Hayden.

Bottom line is it think the Jura will find a place in my cabinet.... just in time for Jack Frost’s impending frigid appearance. Alba gu bràth! :D

12 hours ago, Red Eye Jim said:

My only problem with Scotch is that when I finish drinking Scotch, I start speaking Welsh...

Then you need to try Penderyn Welsh whisky, I wonder what language you will speak after that!

Seriously, though, this is currently one of my favorite brands of late.

Penderyn Welsh whisky

UB,

Thanks for the review.  I don't care for any smoke or peat flavors, so you can have my share.

I will stick with Glenmorangie Original and MacCallan 12.  When I am not having some Irish.

On 9/25/2019 at 9:23 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Follow than one up with The Wettest County in the World, Hillbilly Elegy, and/or If Trouble Don't Kill Me. All have wonderful Scots- Irish overtones and influences.

21 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

UB,

Thanks for the review.  I don't care for any smoke or peat flavors, so you can have my share.

I will stick with Glenmorangie Original and MacCallan 12.  When I am not having some Irish.

I feel the same generally. But there's something about thisn.

I am somewhat handicapped by living in a small town with a somewhat limited variety available to taste.

Archived