SASS Wire Forum

Wouldn't it be nice if they made ice cream without the additions

Alpo

You've got three basic types of plain ice cream - chocolate vanilla and strawberry.

Just about every other flavor has something in the ice cream. Nuts, pieces of candy, streaks of caramel, ground coffee.

My granddaughter does not like ice cream that has nuts in it. She therefore does not eat butter pecan ice cream. And that's a shame, because butter pecan ice cream is delicious. Ignore the nuts - the ice cream flavor is fabulous. Wouldn't it be nice if they made butter pecan ice cream, and left the pecans out.

I was eating some cookie dough ice cream the other night, and when I got to the bottom of the bowl it had a inch or so of melted ice cream in it. As I was spooning up that liquid, ignoring the chunks of cookie dough and pieces of chocolate, I realized how good that ice cream was.

And that's the only place I've tasted that flavor of ice cream - as a base for the pieces of cookie dough. Heck, leave the cookie dough and the chocolate chips out. Just put the ice cream in a carton.

I don't know what that flavor is. Even though it's white, it's not vanilla. But it sure is good.

SWMBO and I have ice cream issues as well, although ours are a bit different.

SWMBO is diabetic, so it's Sugar Free ice cream as a treat for her.

I'm lactose intolerant, so it's Lactose Free for me.

We have one mfg'r here that makes a series of delicious flavours, free of both sugar and lactose; Dutch Chocolate, French Vanilla, Cookies and Cream, Maple and (best for last) Black Cherry :wub:.

The really irritating problem is that very, very few stores carry that brand type, (Chapmans) and those that do only carry Chocolate or Vanilla - none of the others, although there are racks of the other offerings by the same manufacturer.

Company won't let me buy a case direct and refers me to stores that are supposed to carry it, but don't or are as much as 60 miles from my home.

I often wish I could be there when the merchandiser is stocking the shelves.:ph34r:

@Alpo,

Maggie Moo's has Butter Pecan Ice Cream without the pecans.

Check for locations near you.

Our closest one is in Orange City shown below.

2084837616_MaggieMoos.png.deae53da14414f0ddcd43f2e7475c8df.png

check out a marble slab.  Their ice cream doesn't have the stuff in it because they mix it in front of you.  My wife loves mint, but hates the chocolate chips everyone else in the world puts in them.  Marble slab has just mint.  I'm very plain and only care about chocolate, so I can't say what else they have.  But maybe they'll have what you're looking for. 

12 hours ago, Alpo said:

I was eating some cookie dough ice cream the other night, and when I got to the bottom of the bowl it had a inch or so of melted ice cream in it. As I was spooning up that liquid, ignoring the chunks of cookie dough and pieces of chocolate, I realized how good that ice cream was.

Pee Wee Herman called that "Ice Cream Soup..."   :rolleyes:

While I am still not reloading my ammo yet, I already make my own ice cream :)

That way you know exactly what ingredients are in it and you can create your own flavor combinations. The ice cream maker is a bit of an invest, but the making is very easy, just put stuff in and take ice cream out!

But I have to mention that at the end a box of self made ice cream costs me more than a bought one. I guess industry uses the cheapest things they can find and put the least amount possible in it... :ph34r:

Equanimous

3 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

But I have to mention that at the end a box of self made ice cream costs me more than a bought one. I guess industry uses the cheapest things they can find and put the least amount possible in it.

Most of the difference is that they buy not by the quart or gallon, but by the thousands of gallons.  And they negotiate contracts with suppliers.  

15 minutes ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

I buy vanilla ice cream and if I need a flavor I add it myself. I love ice cream with maple syrup on it.

Try molasses on it.  

Archived