SASS Wire Forum

PRICE OF LEAD FOR CASTING BULLETS

Mace Bishop

Hey Mace!!  Bring my hat back!!  You’ve had it long enough!!  Id be interested in some of that lead!!

See you at the yard sale!!

"Spot" Market price today for industrial quantities of pure lead is $0.93 a pound.

If you have clean wheel weight lead, you should be able to sell that at $1.50 or $1.75 a pound.   Perhaps slightly more if the buyer is eager to get resupplied.   It's getting harder to find and smelt lead wheel weights now that there are zinc and iron and other metals being made into wheel weights too!

And soft (plumbers) lead - perhaps you can get $1.25 a pound.

The major suppliers of "virgin bullet casting" lead, alloyed to 6% antimony and 2% tin (a harder alloy than we need to use) - are getting about $2.00 a pound and shipping costs on top of that.   Those high prices will make it easy to sell your lead ingots for more than the value of the lead in them.

Market prices affect final, on-the-street lead price.   Location affects lead price.  Demand (need) affects lead price.  Having the lead right at the match for shooters to take home - that may carry a quarter worth of increased value per pound just so they don't have to pay shipping!

As always, the price ends up being what a shooter will pay for it, but those numbers should be good guides.

Good luck, GJ

• 4 weeks later...

I have two milk crates full of approx. 9 pound ingots from this company.  

http://nfmetals.com/bullet-metal/

I went with the 2-6-92 (lead-tin-antimony) 

Not sure what they are charging per pound but I have quite a pile of the stuff.

Used to get wheel weights, but when they switched to the new formula it became useless for casting.

You can still find the old wheel weights around, but they are getting scarce.  

I can get lead anywhere from 0.40/lb to around a dollar per pound depending on the alloy. The local scrap yard has lead pipe for 0.75/lb. I use that for round balls but I get it free. 

Some places are more expensive but in Fort Wayne area any more than a dollar will sit.

I bought 42 pounds of fishing weight quality (?) last month for $35.

I skim about two ounces of trash for every four pounds and add 60/40 solder for cartridge bullets or use as-is for .451 round balls.

2 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Just dont try to use reclaimed battery leadIt aint worth the hassles

Imis

I've been known to smash out the terminals. Too much work.

Archived