SASS Wire Forum

Long Range Match Shooting Position

Cholla

Now that I have a Sharps I have been reading up on everything involved with long range matches. My current question is shooting positions. Due to an old back injury there's no way I can sit on the ground on a shooting mat. First, my body won't bend that way. Second, I have to have extra padding when sitting, even in an office chair. I use an Egg Sitter cushion even when working at a desk otherwise I quickly start hurting.

I see mention of not allowing elbows on shooting tables so can I assume there will be shooting tables? Do I need to come up with something for a shooting table? My first goal is to compete at Winter Range in 2021. After that, who knows? The Quigley match in Montana sounds cool.

Cholla,

shooting positions vary by match.  I’ve shot them seated at a table, standing using sticks, seated on the ground using sticks, prone w sticks and off hand.  Basically, you play the hand you’re dealt.

Anyway, it’s 3 to 10 shots usually so you won’t be in that position very long.

Gringo

I have a pair of tall sticks that use seated in a directors chair, or can use them standing.  I also have a shorter set that work on a bench.  

some guys shoot prone, others sitting on grng (both using sticks) Shooting prone is probably best, but unless they have a cherry-picker to help get me up, I'm not shooting prone! 

Winter Range uses a long range facility that has SOLID shooting tables up and down the firing line.  There is no need to bring a table to WR cowboy rifle matches.

Good luck, GJ

Archived