SASS Wire Forum

Blu-ray ???

Alpo

I was walking through Walmart the other day and came upon their $3 movie bin. Looked through it for a little while, and picked one out. Then I walked on.

Came to another movie bin. $5 in this bin. Just glanced in it as I walked by, since I had no intention of buying more than one movie.

And I noticed that all of the movies in this been had a blue edge all the way around their box.

Is that how they identify Blu-ray movies?

If I had bought one, would a Blu-ray movie have played in my DVD player?

If I had a Blu-ray player, would a regular DVD play in it?

As you might could guess, aside from the name, I know nothing about Blu-ray. B)

Back in 71 recorded many a vinyl onto real-to-real. Had somewhere around 58 tapes. Each side lasted hour and a half. Wanted to convert because tape players don't much exist anymore, so I got a nice recorder to SDHC. That way I could transfer to the puter and phone. Now a CD only records one hour twenty minutes, but my tapes were one hour thirty-forty minutes. CD will not work so I had to record to DVD. Only thing that a DVD will play music on is a Blue-Ray. So, I got one of those and can listen to the ole music on the Blue-Ray. Other than that have the puter and phone to play the music.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Is that how they identify Blu-ray movies? YES (It will also say Blu-ray on the package)

If I had bought one, would a Blu-ray movie have played in my DVD player?  NO

If I had a Blu-ray player, would a regular DVD play in it? YES

Awhile ago I bought several $3.00 dvd's, didn't realize they were blue ray, they wouldn't play in my regular dvd player. I took 'em back.

Here a short primer:

http://recordhead.biz/difference-blu-ray-dvd/

DVD                                                                            Blu-ray

1913244499_DVDMovie.png.bbf87b58fcbccd25259f9146faf9c273.png   1527301609_Blu-rayMovie.png.f298f1f4e97bb6411b8683b3efe2e985.png

What everyone else said. Plus:

Blu-Ray is HD 1920x1080 pixels and considered HD (High definition)

Regular DVD is 720x480

Which is one reason a Blu-Ray player will play a regular DVD, but not vice versa.

For reference, your old VHS tape was about 333x480 resolution 

Today there is Ultra HD (UHD) - for 4K monitors. These monitors and disks output at 3840x2160 pixels, and provide a very nice home movie environment.

There is a pain that comes when your VHS player finally dies and you can no longer play your favourite movies and then have to find them in Wally World's discount bin or buy replacements on TCM.

Then the question becomes: What do I do with these old VHS tapes??

All this talk about advanced technology and changing systems is beginning to worry me.

I'm afraid I may no longer be able to play my 8-track tapes! :lol:

870012345_8-TrackTapes.png.72eed99c6cb415ab33904e383486b28c.png

** Pic provided for the younger generations.

BluRay players are dirt cheap these days. No reason not to have one. My movie collection is about 50/50 DVD and BluRay.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:15 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

I'm afraid I may no longer be able to play my 8-track tapes! :lol:

MP 0.1 ?

Archived